Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Nov 22, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #766 of 1,608
Hello everybody, I started to use my xdp 30 today and have a battery issue. The battery level is always showing full charge but after hours of use the player turn off showing a big empty battery in the screen. Does anybody have some problem like that? Is like the software can't check the battery status. Thanks in advance.
Going to answer me to myself the point is that the pioneer need one complete charging cycle to work properly. Now I had charged it completely and the battery level is going down normally. As I had answer to my question may I give to myself a like?!

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #767 of 1,608
Did it for you... :smile_phones:

It's quite normal for batteries to take one or two charge cycles before they reach optimum performance. And if the device actually measures the charge in and out of the battery as some phones do then that is even more important. However, I I suspect that the player only measures voltage and estimates the charge remaining based on that.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #768 of 1,608
Out of interest, does the XDP-30R have a track limit? I take my music to sea and it's currently stored in several 200gb microSD cards, I use a FiiO X5 but the maximum sync is about 30,000 tracks before it won't sync. Subsequently I only ever use the one SD port, would be good if I could load more up without going through the whole sync routine every time I wanted to listen to a band beginning with 'W.'

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #769 of 1,608
Hi Head-Friends!
So, I got a little excited (carried away) and stayed up all night reading through this entire thread, pretty interested in this player. A couple replies to recent-ish posts...

The overall aesthetics is very 80s-device-retro, and functional, and reminds me of DAT tapes, and my Ricoh GRD camera. Neither of which are cheap.
Ricoh! Those never fit into my usage philosophy like micro 4/3rds, but I respected what they did and thought the Ricoh looked like it was designed by photographers. 80’s is back in vogue!

Thanks for the extra review link... I had found the “dehumanize” review a few times, which always read like the reviewer was trying not to like it (or headphonia), but ended up mostly enjoying himself and the DP-S1 anyway.

I would delightfully remark, that this player produces stellar sound with far more modest pairing, such as a pair of Sennheiser IE80, with balanced cable upgrade, of course. Nice review, spot on!
I’ve got the IE 80 S, more comfortable than the IE 80 S and I quite liked the sound and looks. I’ll have to look into balanced cables... as someone who used to work doing repairs on MP3 players and smartphones, I would feel more confident in a 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced connector than 2.5mm TRRS. I would hate for the plug tip to break off inside a player (can be almost impossible to get out sometimes), but I understand that sometimes the internal physical space is limited.

Anyway, the sale prices on the SP-D1 are super attractive, threw a wrench in my plans on getting a Shanling M3s. I haven’t heard either in real life... but I’m having difficulty choosing, if anyone feels like giving any feedback?

On paper, they both offer a Bluetooth remote function, however the Shanling M3s (and the M1, which I HAVE tested and reviewed as part of a tour) goes a step further with the very cool ability to act as a Bluetooth receiver, so I can send audio from my phone (or the USB Bluetooth dongle plugged into my PlayStation 4) to the DAP to use it as a wireless bridge. However, this 2-way Bluetooth in the Shanling is there instead of the Onkyo’s WiFi TiDAL streaming... ultimately, I want a DAP so I don’t use the battery or storage of my phone, so I prefer the WiFi option. I think. Maybe. The Shanling also offers USB DAC functionality and USB digital output to a discrete DAC, but I’m confident that Onkyo will bring that “back” (I suspect it was just a bug created when adding other features, firmware updates are tricky business), and anyway I want an “all-in-one” on the go because I can’t comfortably pocket a fatty strapped together bundle with interconnect wires. I would still LIKE to be able to integrate the DP-S1 into a home hi-fi/desktop setup when I get home instead of having to fire up the computer, but that’s just a luxury. If I’m synthesizing the sonic impressions right, both DAPs lean towards “Warm, punchy, intimate, and a little romantic,” but the Onkyo reviews make a bit more mention of soundstage and refinement, while the M3s surprises with its power. If Cayin made a revised N5, it should be about as close to the Shanling as Pioneer is to Onkyo.

Anyone have anything to add to this? Thanks for reading!

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #770 of 1,608
Out of interest, does the XDP-30R have a track limit? I take my music to sea and it's currently stored in several 200gb microSD cards, I use a FiiO X5 but the maximum sync is about 30,000 tracks before it won't sync. Subsequently I only ever use the one SD port, would be good if I could load more up without going through the whole sync routine every time I wanted to listen to a band beginning with 'W.'
Someone just a page back reported filling a 400 GB card with 6 months worth of continuous compressed music, but the library building process locked up around 36,000-37,000 songs. If you’ve got a library like that... taking several less expensive microSD cards with you makes more sense than trying to have it all able to be scrolled through at once. I don’t know if it would make more sense to split it up by artist, genre, or time era, but with a library that big it almost makes more sense to divide them randomly and just hit shuffle on whatever microSDs you have in the player, your favorite albums in the internal storage. Should feel almost limitless.

It’s cool that you go to sea, are you in shipping, the military, or something? I can imagine music and variety through lots of storage can be a big boon at times like that.

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #771 of 1,608
Someone just a page back reported filling a 400 GB card with 6 months worth of continuous compressed music, but the library building process locked up around 36,000-37,000 songs. If you’ve got a library like that... taking several less expensive microSD cards with you makes more sense than trying to have it all able to be scrolled through at once. I don’t know if it would make more sense to split it up by artist, genre, or time era, but with a library that big it almost makes more sense to divide them randomly and just hit shuffle on whatever microSDs you have in the player, your favorite albums in the internal storage. Should feel almost limitless.

It’s cool that you go to sea, are you in shipping, the military, or something? I can imagine music and variety through lots of storage can be a big boon at times like that.

Ah, didn't see that, thanks. I was looking at the new 400gb cards, originally I used three 160gb iPod classics but it was getting a bit absurd because I'd have to pick which third of my music I was taking out for each trip. I'm an officer on a merchant oil tanker that spends a lot of time at anchor and with contracts at 90+ days I am constantly looking for a media player I can take up to the bridge for an anchor watch that can shuffle my entire library. Wouldn't get away with a whole laptop up there. However my library is probably nearing 1tb now as I'm a hound for Bandcamp and have a ripped CD collection going back twenty years! As is, I'll probably just stick with the microSD collection.

Nov 23, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #772 of 1,608
If I’m synthesizing the sonic impressions right, both DAPs lean towards “Warm, punchy, intimate, and a little romantic,” but the Onkyo reviews make a bit more mention of soundstage and refinement, while the M3s surprises with its power.

Interesting description...

For me, I find the Onkyo can sound very different by changing the Filter settings and the Lock Range Adjustment.

Not sure how familiar you are with the DAC process, but in short, these are not additional stages of processing like DSP or EQ (more commonly found in A&K, iRiver, etc.) but they are settings which change the behaviour of crucial stages to convert a digital signal to an analog one for playback.

For some people it's a subtle thing, but for me, it's a much bigger difference than EQ or DSP (which I generally avoid).

Time for a terrible analogy.

EQ/DSP is post-processing. It's like seasoning, adding salt/pepper (EQ) or ketchup (DSP) after the dish is already cooked and prepared. You might get a quick fix to a problem (e.g. if it tastes bland, you can make it saltier), but ultimately you've messed up the dish beyond repair and you're just trying to hide the fault of the dish. It'll never taste amazing with this approach alone, so to me, I actually consider EQ/DSP pretty useless.

Filter and LRA settings is actually changing how it's cooked. If you saute it first before you bake it, or if you caramelize the onions before you add the meat. There's pros and cons to each choice, and your choices may vary depending on the style of music you like, or just how you hear things. I play drums (and record music) so I can't help but focus on hi-hats and how they sound in the space of a room. Other people don't notice the hi-hats, say, a vocalist might focus more on how sibilant the "t" and "s"s are, and find that distracting.

For me, the Filter/LRA settings drastically change the soundstage and in particular, the sound and time smearing artifacts on drums and the presence of instruments in general.

I'm not familiar with the settings available on the Shanling M3. My understanding is there is only 2 filter options (Slow/Sharp) while the Onkyo has 3 filter options (Slow/Short/Sharp)*. I think the Shanling doesn't have LRA settings but somebody more familiar with the player can chime in on that.

*Incidentally, my favourite setting on the Onkyo is "Short" filter with as "Narrow" as an LRA as I can get it without skipping. Which is 1 step away from the most Narrow. This has been improving with each firmware upgrade, so I secretly hope that they could make more optimizations in the next few releases so I can actually use full Narrow LRA on 24-bit/192khz files.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #773 of 1,608
I'm thinking of purchasing a XDP-30R. Would be using it just with my HD800 via LO to my Lake People amp.

However, I also have a Sony 1000x and was wondering if I could pair them to the XDP-30R via BT???

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #774 of 1,608
I’m familiar with the basics of the DAC process, but I’m always glad to learn more :D

I’ve read about filters like this before, and the customization of such is one more thing that had me curious about the DP-S1.

How would we compare this against an original DP-X1, or Pioneer 100r?

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #775 of 1,608
I'm thinking of purchasing a XDP-30R. Would be using it just with my HD800 via LO to my Lake People amp.

However, I also have a Sony 1000x and was wondering if I could pair them to the XDP-30R via BT???
Yes. The XDP-30R even provides Apt-x Bluetooth, I believe

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #777 of 1,608
Alright, thanks! Now, should I rather go for the XDP-R 100 then for the sake of Apt-x?

Both DAPs are currently in the same price range, and quite frankly, I don't need the symmetrical headphone connector...like the compact size of the 30r though.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #779 of 1,608
I updated firmware 1.11 and lost usb dac output! Shxt!
Anyone has same problem? Anyway I can get it back?

Yeah... a known result of this update. And many are not very happy about it.
According to some, it will be returned to us... at some point(?). Maybe early 2018...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back