Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #736 of 1,608
Unfortunately but understandably, Onkyo/Pioneer charges more for the official domestic releases over resellers offering the Japanese equivalents. One of the reasons the US versions could be more expensive is that perhaps there are licensing fees associated with integrating the various region-specific streaming services. Personally, I actually traded in my DP-X1 for the DP-S1, and have been quite pleased. I listen to primarily 192/24 FLAC or DSD files on it and have had minor issues that have been addressed with each subsequent release.

Of course the US version is not the domestic, but the export version. :)
I was also thinking about licensing issues/fees - if Onkyo is paying a certain amount to the streaming services for each unit sold, it would make no sense to include it on the JP version, where those ervices are not available. OTOH it would be a crazy business modell for the streaming services to ask for money from hw manufacturers...

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #737 of 1,608
Toitoinou, the problem here appears to be that you’re attempting to use a single 400Gb card instead of 2 x 200 GB cards. If you read the published XDP-30R spec it clearly states the player supports ‘Two micro SD Card Slots Supporting Up to 400 GB Total Capacity’. The important word there is ‘Total’. Logically then, it stands to reason that one can only use SD cards with a max capacity of 200 GB each.

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/sites/default/files/datasheets/english/XDP-30R.pdf

There’s a sub-line that suggests Pioneer is investigating the compatibility of 256 GB cards but there’s no absolutely mention of 400 GB cards being compatible.

The user manual further confirms that Pioneer is offering support for 200 GB cards only. It states... ‘Number of music files recordable... This is a guide to the number of music files you can record to the internal memory of this unit....Approximately 2,400 tracks (MP3 format: when 5 MB) Approximately 60 tracks (FLAC lossless 24 bit/192 kHz: when 200 MB)‘

I daresay that if you use the player with the correct 200 GB micro SD cards it is specified for then it will work as intended...
I re-read his post then only reliaze he put in a 400gb card... i thought is 2 x 200gb cards :laughing:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #738 of 1,608
Hi again

Today I tried with two 128 Gb cards and I can now confirm that with firmware 1.11 the maximum capacity of the player's database is about 36 000 tracks, which is about 200 Gb worth of 320kbps MP3.
You can either put them all on one card or split them on two cards... When the scanner reaches around 36 000 - 37 000 tracks it simply sits there and won't be able to update the database anymore until you reset all settings.
The good news is that that the XDP-30R seems to handle 400Gb cards just fine, as long as you remain under this 36k tracks limit.

Have a great weekend

Toitoinou

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #739 of 1,608
Hi again

Today I tried with two 128 Gb cards and I can now confirm that with firmware 1.11 the maximum capacity of the player's database is about 36 000 tracks, which is about 200 Gb worth of 320kbps MP3.

If that's confirmed, it might be either a hw or fw/sw limit - though 36k records are not much in a database.

400GB cards - I didn't know they existed :) Now if the 30R could really take 2x400GB, that would open up a whole new world of DSD/hi-res (and still staying below the presumed 36k songs)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #741 of 1,608
Are there issues with the jacks of this dap?
Whats the issue with the back material?

How would this compare with cayin i5?
Your questions regarding the Rubato, or the XDP-30R? If the former, I can't report any issues with the jacks, so far they are holding out just fine. The fake leather back material lends the Rubato a cheap look and feel, otherwise there's nothing wrong with it. I can't answer your third question, for I have zero experience with the cayin i5.

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #743 of 1,608
The fake leather back material lends the Rubato a cheap look and feel, otherwise there's nothing wrong with it.

I may be the only one, but I actually like it and it was one of the reasons I bought it. The overall aesthetics is very 80s-device-retro, and functional, and reminds me of DAT tapes, and my Ricoh GRD camera. Neither of which are cheap.

I can't much stand the "posh shiny" design aesthetics that have taken hold since the iPod. For me, that now feels cheap as it is everywhere (and often on cheap products).

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #744 of 1,608
I may be the only one, but I actually like it and it was one of the reasons I bought it. The overall aesthetics is very 80s-device-retro, and functional, and reminds me of DAT tapes, and my Ricoh GRD camera. Neither of which are cheap.

I can't much stand the "posh shiny" design aesthetics that have taken hold since the iPod. For me, that now feels cheap as it is everywhere (and often on cheap products).
I wouldn't complain about the Rubato's overall aesthetics either, simplistic, practical and ultra-portable, attractive from all aspects otherwise. Personally I would like to see brushed metal back, anodized the same color as the body. Regarding the iPods, the Classic was great during its heydays, and it was also very durable, mine lasted for well over six years...I ported Rockbox to it, as soon as a stable port was available, and it was still usable when I sold it after more than six years of use. I'll be curious how durable the Rubato will prove to be!

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #745 of 1,608
The iPod was certainly unique when it was introduced, but I was never a fan of the "breathe on it and it scratches" back. This singlehandedly introduced a whole industry of third party case accessories.

Prior to this, it was understood that when you design and purchase a portable product to be carried around, you'd expect it to be made of durable and scratch resistant material.

But from then on, everybody now EXPECTS to buy a case to add to the bulk of a product that was already (supposedly) designed to be carried in pockets, etc. and it turned into a hobby for some.

I never needed my portable devices to resemble jewellery, and to be treated as such. I don't mind that others did, but the lack of choices on the market since the iPod has been frustrating. So I for one appreciate Onkyo's functional direction here and consider it ballsy.

I also think the matte finish on the one-piece aluminium chassis is great (again, scratch resistant. that was the whole point engineers made things like this in the 80s). Brushed metal is on every other product, including the Pioneer model.

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #747 of 1,608
I thought the 30r and rubato were the same. So are there any 30r users here?
How are the jacks?
Is the back also made of p leather?

The back of the 30R is plastic. Haven't had it long enough to say how the jacks will hold up

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #748 of 1,608
The back of the 30R is plastic. Haven't had it long enough to say how the jacks will hold up
I have both, a Japanesse DP-S1, and a US XDP-30R, and I believe they have the same built quality, and the jacks look and feel solid in both. The sound is also the same, allthough Oprefer the look and feel of the silver XDP-30R.

Nov 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #750 of 1,608
Are there issues with the jacks of this dap?
Whats the issue with the back material?

How would this compare with cayin i5?

I have a 30r. No issues with the jacks or back material here although I haven't used the balanced output. I like the little thing and would buy it again. My only criticism is in my attempts to connect to TuneIn or Tidal here in the US. Trying to launch TuneIn brings up a "failed to operate" and attempts at Tidal will finally work but it takes awhile. I don't listen much to online music so it's not that big a deal to me, but I had signed up for a trial period of Tidal to see what it had. Using the most current firmware and my network is fast and stable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back