Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #706 of 1,608
I agree with the balanced output performance from this player, the only reason I'm still using it. I hate to say it though, the A&K Ak Jr's sound still superior to this one, it offers more layers, depth, and breathtaking wide sound stage. The music from that player is far more engaging, but with the right gear the DP-S1 closes up a lot, and the sound produced is more analytic. The DX90 trumps both, especially with the latest working Rockbox port. I just got tired swapping the battery out from the later every two hours...Anyway, the DP-S1 could be a very potent player, and possibly the best, if they would be willing to fix the problems that plague this device, it shouldn't be that hard!!! Instead, it seems they making it worse with every new firmware release, or at least they ignore the issues that leave many of us frustrated! I'm not sure if this is done on purpose, to force the early adopters to upgrade, well that strategy could backfire, because many of us who gets sick and tired, will trash this thing and look elsewhere. I just hope the God I'll remember to remove the sd-card from it before I'll swing it, won't be long before I will try on this thing how far I can throw...
ak jr.......
anyway suite yourself :)
i alao understand what u suffering with :)

btw i m not dps1 hardcore suppprter. i still prefer sony wm1a or kann... but the size and weight...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #707 of 1,608
Got the answer from Onkyo re Tidal on Japanese DP-S1:

The Japan region model DP-S1 does not match up that service.
Because Tidal has not been released to the Japanese market yet.
Thank you for your understanding.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #708 of 1,608
When fast forwarding or rewinding by hardware switches the screen stays off, hurray!
Still no Ogg, bass setting should be accessible one level up, before having to activate "custom setting", overall becoming better with every fw-update, except the usb out that was removed.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #709 of 1,608

Good to know, thanks for sharing. :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #710 of 1,608

And it may be even harder for japan to have that service because of the eonkyo service that they have. I guess its a limitation we have to live by for now.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #711 of 1,608
Is the USB / OTG output function fixed on the DP-S1 ? I would like to use the DP-S1 as source and output to something like a mojo or Hugo 2

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #713 of 1,608

Onkyo please... I can imagine the perfect stack DP-S1 + Hugo 2 black ... All I need is the OTG function.

Nov 1, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #714 of 1,608
Onkyo announced DP-S1A version... damn it I just bought the S1 few months ago.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #715 of 1,608
Onkyo announced DP-S1A version... damn it I just bought the S1 few months ago.

Good news.
Google translate says the following:

1. Upgraded + additional film capacitors, doubled in capacity and improved electrical stability.
2. Great review of "audio tuning" by ONKYO sound engineer.
3. Rear Panel & Battery Case Optimize circuit board according to redesign.Adopting audio grade higher performance parts for internal circuits, further enhance sound quality.
4. Scheduled to support USB / OTG digital output at later update.
5. Increase rotation precision by suppressing rattling of the volume knob.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #718 of 1,608
ak jr.......
anyway suite yourself :)
i alao understand what u suffering with :)

btw i m not dps1 hardcore suppprter. i still prefer sony wm1a or kann... but the size and weight...
You right on target about the AK Jr, if not for its stellar sound performance it would be a totally useless gadget...Regarding the DP-S1, it is a decent player for the price, as long as the main issues I experienced, won't recur. I'm sure the WM1 is outstanding, but if I'm seeing right, you can get a handful of DP-S1's maybe even the upcoming S1A, for the price of an MW-1A...

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #719 of 1,608
Good news.
Google translate says the following:

1. Upgraded + additional film capacitors, doubled in capacity and improved electrical stability.
2. Great review of "audio tuning" by ONKYO sound engineer.
3. Rear Panel & Battery Case Optimize circuit board according to redesign.Adopting audio grade higher performance parts for internal circuits, further enhance sound quality.
4. Scheduled to support USB / OTG digital output at later update.
5. Increase rotation precision by suppressing rattling of the volume knob.
I'll be very curious about the price, I'm sure it will be over $400 USD. More than likely the DP-X1 will make more sense...

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #720 of 1,608
I'll be very curious about the price, I'm sure it will be over $400 USD. More than likely the DP-X1 will make more sense...
They have mentioned 56000 yen which is higher than the DP-X1A (55300 yen). This is really strange.
At this price point there is no much sense to buy the S1A, right? Unless you want a real pocket size and longer battery life.

Don't get me wrong. I like the dp-s1 today, and particularly I like bass more on it than on the X1A. S1 gives more punch and weight in mid bass area while the X1A produces more sub bass which I don't need much. But the X1A is a superior DAP in any case so the price for the new coming S1A should not exceed the price of a big brother

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back