Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Oct 26, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #676 of 1,608
This has likely been posted before, but here’s a link to a site that provides links (some broken) for free hi res downloads. Check out the dCS website to get to the downloads page.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #677 of 1,608
like the new firmware, UI smoother than previous firmware.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #678 of 1,608
Can anyone confirm the Japanese DP-S1 has or doesn’t have MQA compatibility? I downloaded an MQA file, but no indicator showed up when playing the file.

Thanks!
Should support MQA, e-onkyo is selling MQA.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #679 of 1,608
I have to say that the 30R is a great bargain at the current discounted price. I bought a Shanling M2S after selling my LG V20 and it was a clear downgrade, but the 30R equals and possibly betters the V20 by a small margin (single ended, haven't tried balanced yet) while easily outclassing the M2S

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #680 of 1,608
I was wondering if anyone can comment on the Lock Range Adjust (LRA) and ACG vs Balanced modes. How narrow can you set the LRA before having any playback issues?

I've just picked up a DP-S1 on a whim and had about a week to familiarize with it.

Very detailed player, and the most configurable DAC process on a portable that I've seen (which is great for a tweaker like myself). 3 DAC filter settings, Lock Range Adjustment, Hi-bit 32, Upsampling, parametric EQ... wa-hey!!

Got to know the out-of-the-box shortcomings which were:

1) FLACs with multiple cover art or too large cover art were ignored.
2) "Narrow" Lock range adjustment sounds best, but the player struggles with anything beyond "Normal" if you are using higher res files (e.g. most 24-bit files, and 24-bit/192kHz is definitely out of the question)
3) My compromise to above was to use a snappier filter than you would like (in my case "Short" instead of "Slow") with a Wide<->Normal LRA which reels it back in (albeit a tad muddier, spatially).

Then I bothered to update the software last night...

And much to my surprise, all of the above problems are fixed. Along with a more responsive UI... and MQA support.

Now I can use the "SLOW" filter setting AND the most "Narrow" LRA setting (with Hi-bit 32 enabled), on the highest res material, and it's beautifully natural. This is my current preference until I can find fault. Opens the soundstage right up and feels far less claustrophobic (coming from my very smooth and analog sounding Pono/Ayre).

Very surprised to get a proper decent software upgrade for a DAP.

Any existing DP-S1 users who haven't yet upgraded to the latest firmware, get on it and give it a play-through.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #681 of 1,608
Also have my Gain set to Normal (instead of the default "High") as my HD25's didn't need it. I'm not sure where the gain stage is on this DAP but it immediately sounded less strained to me. I make it a habit to give my digital stuff as much headroom as possible.

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #683 of 1,608
I've just picked up a DP-S1 on a whim and had about a week to familiarize with it.

Very detailed player, and the most configurable DAC process on a portable that I've seen (which is great for a tweaker like myself). 3 DAC filter settings, Lock Range Adjustment, Hi-bit 32, Upsampling, parametric EQ... wa-hey!!

Got to know the out-of-the-box shortcomings which were:

1) FLACs with multiple cover art or too large cover art were ignored.
2) "Narrow" Lock range adjustment sounds best, but the player struggles with anything beyond "Normal" if you are using higher res files (e.g. most 24-bit files, and 24-bit/192kHz is definitely out of the question)
3) My compromise to above was to use a snappier filter than you would like (in my case "Short" instead of "Slow") with a Wide<->Normal LRA which reels it back in (albeit a tad muddier, spatially).

Then I bothered to update the software last night...

And much to my surprise, all of the above problems are fixed. Along with a more responsive UI... and MQA support.

Now I can use the "SLOW" filter setting AND the most "Narrow" LRA setting (with Hi-bit 32 enabled), on the highest res material, and it's beautifully natural. This is my current preference until I can find fault. Opens the soundstage right up and feels far less claustrophobic (coming from my very smooth and analog sounding Pono/Ayre).

Very surprised to get a proper decent software upgrade for a DAP.

Any existing DP-S1 users who haven't yet upgraded to the latest firmware, get on it and give it a play-through.

Now my favourite setting with balanced output is balanced/ACG with slow :D
last time tried Narrow and sometimes have problem in middle of playback. I will give it a try again.

btw my gain is set to high... normal feel not sound as good as high... even listen with my ue18+...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #684 of 1,608
I doubt that they see the this thread.
We should try onkyo / pioneer support contacts maybe…

Tidal is what I miss on rubato too.

P.S. Sent a request to global onkyo support. Let's see.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #685 of 1,608
I doubt that they see the this thread.
We should try onkyo / pioneer support contacts maybe…

Tidal is what I miss on rubato too.

P.S. Sent a request to global onkyo support. Let's see.

Which one is their global support? In pioneer I can only search regional support, I want to try and send a request as well.

Oct 27, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #686 of 1,608
Which one is their global support? In pioneer I can only search regional support, I want to try and send a request as well.
Well, I have this email address: global.support@onkyo.com
I got it when I was trying to clarify warranty policy in my country.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #688 of 1,608
Just curious here...

I'm using firmware 1.10 from 9/12/17 on my DP-S1.
Is there something more recent? If so, it's not on the Onkyo site.

Thanks

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #690 of 1,608

Users who are viewing this thread

Back