Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Sep 12, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #497 of 1,608
Wonderful FW update. Solved two of my biggest gripes about my Rubato:

1. Some sort of a "scroll bar" for quick navigation in long lists of titles;
2. Now it remembers the last song you played and the playlist/album/folder you were playing, and it starts playing that once the player is turned on and you press play instead of having to navigate on the screen again. IMHO this function is a basic MUST for any dedicated DAP.

And in addition.........I'm not sure if it is my mind playing tricks on me or what............somehow I think the upsampling is a bit more apparent after the update, but this I cannot verify so take it with a grain of salt.

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #499 of 1,608
Well, they disabled usb out function and the DAP can not be used as a transport anymore.
So I would not call it wonderful.

I never use it as a transport so that's no issue to me. Nothing of the sort is documented. Have you lodge an enquiry to Onkyo? Maybe there's an official answer to this: it is highly peculiar for a particular function to be disabled (instead of new features enabled) by a fw update.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #500 of 1,608
Wonderful FW update. Solved two of my biggest gripes about my Rubato:

1. Some sort of a "scroll bar" for quick navigation in long lists of titles;
2. Now it remembers the last song you played and the playlist/album/folder you were playing, and it starts playing that once the player is turned on and you press play instead of having to navigate on the screen again. IMHO this function is a basic MUST for any dedicated DAP.

And in addition.........I'm not sure if it is my mind playing tricks on me or what............somehow I think the upsampling is a bit more apparent after the update, but this I cannot verify so take it with a grain of salt.

Same here. Both of these functions were missing for me.

At CanJam London I spoke to guys from Pioneer and it turns out they actually look at this forum to see what to improve. Well done!

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #501 of 1,608
I never use it as a transport so that's no issue to me. Nothing of the sort is documented. Have you lodge an enquiry to Onkyo? Maybe there's an official answer to this: it is highly peculiar for a particular function to be disabled (instead of new features enabled) by a fw update.
Well, I have a Japanese version.
I will try to address it to Onkyo Europe or USA

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #502 of 1,608
Does anyone know:
1) What is the maxmimum artwork size?
2) What should be the default album artwork name?

I'm going to create optimized artwork for the DP-S1 via Bliss while maintaining the original, and want to make sure I'm tackling it correctly.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #503 of 1,608
I gave up trying to make all album covers visible. I could not find any dependency on size, file name etc.
Absolutely identical covers by size and name but one album shows the art and the second does not…

That was not a problem for the DP-X1A.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #504 of 1,608
Does anyone know:
1) What is the maxmimum artwork size?
2) What should be the default album artwork name?

I'm going to create optimized artwork for the DP-S1 via Bliss while maintaining the original, and want to make sure I'm tackling it correctly.

500 x 500 jpeg are ok call them the album name, use EAC to rip cds and it will do it for you and MP3 tag to tag and add art to downloadd. Never had any problems with art work and mine is shared over multiple daps and streamers..

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #506 of 1,608
Thanks. Any idea if you can have multiple image files in a directory? I don't want to lose the high-res original.

yes but you 're wasting space on a dap and only some high end streamers will display pdfs, Linn and Naim for instance

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #508 of 1,608
That's a good point. I can set up the transfer app I use, DropSync, to filter out transferring the PDF's from my library to the device.

Yes that's the best way on a mac

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #509 of 1,608
So my Dad decided to update his Onkyo DP-S1 with the latest FW a couple of days ago only to find that they have revoked the ability to do USB line out as soon as it almost arrived, like What!?

He purchased not only the Onkyo but the Pioneer U-05 dac/ amp on the previso the Onkyo was getting the USB line out update was confiremed at thet time to be coming so it could act as a transport with the U-05 just like we keep seeing on the Pioneer stand at the shows when they like to show off their daps been used as a trasnport to supply the U-05 dac/ amp.

This is a very perculiar move indeed and should never of been a feature to ever be sacrificed or removed especially after it only been made available in last update only couple months ago, very perplexing and they should state what it also takes away with the update as well as brings so users can make an informed decision and weigh it up if to at least if to carry out the update if they do not want to loose what is a important feature to some people.

Pioneer / Onkyo hope you are reading these and get this reverted back into an update soon as I have one very P***** off Dad here who just wants things to work as they should and to take away this feature... well!?

Can the update be rolled back on these does anyone know if it comes to it as even if Onkyo do implement it back in a future update it is a case of how long until they do?

Need some clarification if there is a UK Onkyo/ Pioneer bod who reads these threads as to be honest this is a bit of a naughty move to just be removing the feature without even any prior warning this would be the result after the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back