Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Sep 16, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #511 of 1,608
DP-S1 seems to have a slightly warm sound signature.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #512 of 1,608
DP-S1 seems to have a slightly warm sound signature.
Not mine...In fact, I find the DP-S1's sound very natural and analytic, much like the iBasso DX90. The later seems to have a wider sound stage, but they share more less the same sound signature, at least subjective to my hearing. This is the only DAP I encountered lately, that pairs well with the Sennheiser IE80, with this cable upgrade: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I was putting off selling the IE80 for a very long time due to laziness, now I'm glad I kept it...

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #513 of 1,608
Sep 17, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #514 of 1,608
Not mine...In fact, I find the DP-S1's sound very natural and analytic, much like the iBasso DX90. The later seems to have a wider sound stage, but they share more less the same sound signature, at least subjective to my hearing. This is the only DAP I encountered lately, that pairs well with the Sennheiser IE80, with this cable upgrade: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiio-RC-IE8B-2-5mm-Balanced-Silver-plated-Earphone-Replacement-Cables/381563306483?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I was putting off selling the IE80 for a very long time due to laziness, now I'm glad I kept it...

Can you please describe the sound playing balanced compared to single ended?

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #515 of 1,608
Can you please describe the sound playing balanced compared to single ended?
I'm not going to tell you that the difference is day and night, you will notice some increased clarity, slightly more details, but the signal strength increase is significant. For instance, a pair of triple fi 10 requires the volume to be at 39-44 for an engaging listening experience, the same gear will produce that sound level at 23 - 29 of volume setting, balanced.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #516 of 1,608
I'm not going to tell you that the difference is day and night, you will notice some increased clarity, slightly more details, but the signal strength increase is significant. For instance, a pair of triple fi 10 requires the volume to be at 39-44 for an engaging listening experience, the same gear will produce that sound level at 23 - 29 of volume setting, balanced.

Thank You

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #517 of 1,608
Just ordered a 30r and was wondering if the long music refresh problem has been fixed? Also wondering if both cards are added to the library as one or do you have to choose between cards? Thanks.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #518 of 1,608
Just ordered a 30r and was wondering if the long music refresh problem has been fixed? Also wondering if both cards are added to the library as one or do you have to choose between cards? Thanks.
The DP-S1 adds both cards and internal memory to a single combined library. You can still navigate by folders if you wish however. I image that the 30R is the same - the main firmware differences that I have seen are just in the UI skinning.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #519 of 1,608
I just did a trade for a DP-S1 with a Head-Fier. It is a Japanese sourced unit, and though I don't currently use TIDAL, I have in the past and might do so again due to the Onkyo's MQA compatibility. Can anyone provide the current info on whether TIDAL is ever coming to Japanese sourced units? Is the recent firmware update where OTG was disabled apply to all DP-S1s regardless of where they're sourced?

I'm receiving a glass screen protector as well. Needed? I'm gentle with my stuff.

Thanks for any input, and I'm looking forward to joining the club. I plan to use my IE 800 with the DP-S1.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #520 of 1,608
The DP-S1 adds both cards and internal memory to a single combined library. You can still navigate by folders if you wish however. I image that the 30R is the same - the main firmware differences that I have seen are just in the UI skinning.
Thanks for the quick response. How long does your DP-S1 take to refresh your library?

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #521 of 1,608
The firmware of the DP-S1 updated. The file type bitrate of the file will be shown on the now playing screen. Great update

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #522 of 1,608
I'm receiving a glass screen protector as well. Needed? .
Well, it has a temporary film on it, I replaced it with a better one

2.JPG
1.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #523 of 1,608
Thanks for the quick response. How long does your DP-S1 take to refresh your library?
So I just checked since I hadn't timed it before...

The library sync has a couple of options. Firstly, you only need to run the sync when you've changed some files. If you choose to sync you can run the sync to just look for added files, or you can rsync for all files. There is an Auto Sync option which checks for added files each time you switch on the player.

I have two 128GB cards as well as the internal memory. It's pretty full. I have over 8,800 files (mostly FLAC) totalling 242GB (260,000,000,000 bytes). If I add no new files and tell the player to Sync Added Songs then it takes about 20 seconds to look through my files and see that nothing has been added. If I choose the Sync All option it's a lot slower and takes about 4 minutes. The Sync All will also clear any stored playlists.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #525 of 1,608
Yes,I only use my dp-s1 as a transport only, hope they can add it back soon

Question is why have they taken the usb line out so soon after activating it?

It's all great the new update brings improvements to the player but to disable this feature is inexcusable after talk they was going to release it as a future update before it was released and then take it away not that long after it was implemented is very strange. Never seen a player that had the ability to do USB line out then have it dsiabled after an update? It is very strange, bizarre and just seems plain crazy now day and age with daps considering it had the ability to do this anyway...

Imagine A&K, Sony, Hi-Fi Man or Fiio done something like this with an update?

I know quite a few people will not worry them as they will use it solely as a player only but for those who got this based on it being one of the aspects to buying this like my Dad did although he does also use it as a player only also the line out was a big factor as he sunk a further £700 to pair it with the Pioneer U-05 Dac/amp and now he can't use it as a transport for it.

I am also very keen on getting this for both use as a player only and usb line out myself but will now wait and see what is happening or the reason for taking the USB line out away as it is a bit poor form for no reason or warning this update would actually take away this very useful feature.

So hoping Onkyo get their arse in gear in getting this usb line out back as this player really does excel in every other area for a dap this size and price with what it can do in terms of feature as much as sound.

Lastly does anyone know if this update can be rolled back at all?

... As my Dad has already said he would rather sacrifice the updates this has brought to have the USB line out back!
Until they sort it out I will happily make do with my Sony W1ma brick and if no answer from Onkyo any time soon will hunt them down at the indulgence show for an explanation which wants to be bloody good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back