Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #527 of 1,608
So I just checked since I hadn't timed it before...

The library sync has a couple of options. Firstly, you only need to run the sync when you've changed some files. If you choose to sync you can run the sync to just look for added files, or you can rsync for all files. There is an Auto Sync option which checks for added files each time you switch on the player.

I have two 128GB cards as well as the internal memory. It's pretty full. I have over 8,800 files (mostly FLAC) totalling 242GB (260,000,000,000 bytes). If I add no new files and tell the player to Sync Added Songs then it takes about 20 seconds to look through my files and see that nothing has been added. If I choose the Sync All option it's a lot slower and takes about 4 minutes. The Sync All will also clear any stored playlists.
Thanks again.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #528 of 1,608
No, you can't downgrade the firmware.
And with that statement, Onkyo and Pioneer are scrubbed off my future shopping list and I can stop reading this thread.

Oh well, back to watching Sony and Shanling and maybe Cayin...

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #529 of 1,608
Question is why have they taken the usb line out so soon after activating it?

It's all great the new update brings improvements to the player but to disable this feature is inexcusable after talk they was going to release it as a future update before it was released and then take it away not that long after it was implemented is very strange. Never seen a player that had the ability to do USB line out then have it dsiabled after an update? It is very strange, bizarre and just seems plain crazy now day and age with daps considering it had the ability to do this anyway...

Imagine A&K, Sony, Hi-Fi Man or Fiio done something like this with an update?

I know quite a few people will not worry them as they will use it solely as a player only but for those who got this based on it being one of the aspects to buying this like my Dad did although he does also use it as a player only also the line out was a big factor as he sunk a further £700 to pair it with the Pioneer U-05 Dac/amp and now he can't use it as a transport for it.

I am also very keen on getting this for both use as a player only and usb line out myself but will now wait and see what is happening or the reason for taking the USB line out away as it is a bit poor form for no reason or warning this update would actually take away this very useful feature.

So hoping Onkyo get their arse in gear in getting this usb line out back as this player really does excel in every other area for a dap this size and price with what it can do in terms of feature as much as sound.

Lastly does anyone know if this update can be rolled back at all?

... As my Dad has already said he would rather sacrifice the updates this has brought to have the USB line out back!
Until they sort it out I will happily make do with my Sony W1ma brick and if no answer from Onkyo any time soon will hunt them down at the indulgence show for an explanation which wants to be bloody good.
I happen to me too, I only use for transportation only, i don't know what to do now.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #530 of 1,608
Hi - I've been using a Fiio X5ii for about a year. As I find the interface (scroll wheel) insanely fiddly, I upgraded to the X5iii, but after about six weeks it started to freeze so often (four times in one commute) as well as split albums up and refuse to show album art so much, I gave up and returned it. But I do like the easier interface - I have a LOT of music saved onto two 256GB cards, and the X5ii reads these without a hitch at all. I got the Pioneer XDP-30R, hoping that this would be easier, but the problems were the same - it refused to read one card at all, and on the remaining card it wouldn't read some tracks, split albums and...again with the album art. Now, again -- all this works fine on the X5ii. I did try asking Pioneer on the website about the problems I was having, but they never replied, so after a week I thought I'd cut my losses and sent it back. Now, still on the lookout for something with good storage and an easier interface, I'm tempted by the Rubato, so.....what are the odds I'd have these same problems with these? And would it even read my 2 x 256GB cards or would it only read part of them or...? I'm not bothered about Tidal, so this may not be ideal at all and I might just have to wait. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #531 of 1,608
Hi - I've been using a Fiio X5ii for about a year. As I find the interface (scroll wheel) insanely fiddly, I upgraded to the X5iii, but after about six weeks it started to freeze so often (four times in one commute) as well as split albums up and refuse to show album art so much, I gave up and returned it. But I do like the easier interface - I have a LOT of music saved onto two 256GB cards, and the X5ii reads these without a hitch at all. I got the Pioneer XDP-30R, hoping that this would be easier, but the problems were the same - it refused to read one card at all, and on the remaining card it wouldn't read some tracks, split albums and...again with the album art. Now, again -- all this works fine on the X5ii. I did try asking Pioneer on the website about the problems I was having, but they never replied, so after a week I thought I'd cut my losses and sent it back. Now, still on the lookout for something with good storage and an easier interface, I'm tempted by the Rubato, so.....what are the odds I'd have these same problems with these? And would it even read my 2 x 256GB cards or would it only read part of them or...? I'm not bothered about Tidal, so this may not be ideal at all and I might just have to wait. Thanks.

Hi!

If you have mp3 files try this program to fix files: http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/
I have same promblem,after now work my 200Gb+128 Gb card with full mp3 files.

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #532 of 1,608

To be honest, this sounds like you either have some corrupt files or tags within the files, or perhaps inconsistent tagging between different files in the same album. Also, have you tried reformatting the cards and rewriting the files? If you do, try not to use the player to write to the cards - use a dedicated card reader. Many players do a pretty poor job when writing files to large filing systems on SD cards. The XDP-30R and Rubato share the same core firmware. If the Pioneer doesn't like your files then almost certainly the Onkyo won't either.

If reformatting and rewriting does not work would use some file checkers and also a tool like MP3Tag to help clean up meta-data. It's great for removing garbage tags, resizing album art, and many other aspects. It may be worth organising folders a bit if you have a very large number of files. As noted in an earlier post, I have around 8,800 files in two 128GB cards and I have no issues - but I ripped all of the files myself and am pretty careful about tagging and so on.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #533 of 1,608
I was hoping they would add support for streaming my music wirelessly to this device, since I was able to hook it up to my analog stereo receiver. Unfortunately no dice, but an iPad came to the rescue for that solution. Meanwhile, the little Rubatto makes a great stereo component, I get CD quality crystal clear sound from my stereo unit, no more need for a high end CD player...

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #535 of 1,608
To be honest, this sounds like you either have some corrupt files or tags within the files, or perhaps inconsistent tagging between different files in the same album. Also, have you tried reformatting the cards and rewriting the files? If you do, try not to use the player to write to the cards - use a dedicated card reader. Many players do a pretty poor job when writing files to large filing systems on SD cards. The XDP-30R and Rubato share the same core firmware. If the Pioneer doesn't like your files then almost certainly the Onkyo won't either.

If reformatting and rewriting does not work would use some file checkers and also a tool like MP3Tag to help clean up meta-data. It's great for removing garbage tags, resizing album art, and many other aspects. It may be worth organising folders a bit if you have a very large number of files. As noted in an earlier post, I have around 8,800 files in two 128GB cards and I have no issues - but I ripped all of the files myself and am pretty careful about tagging and so on.

Thanks for this. Now, I have to be careful what I say 'cos I'm not very tech-savvy, but....when you say about using the player to write to the cards, I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. I use CDex to rip the CDs to a hard drive, each artist has a folder and each album is a subfolder (complete with artwork saves as "cover.jpeg", usually downloaded from Amazon. I have...well, a lot. I have no idea how many. I've just counted the number of artist folders, and it's 427, so if you figure an average of 5 albums per artist, say, that's 2, 135 albums and...well, okay, probably about 10,000 music files in there. Roughly. Someone once said that the problem might be that the device has file limits. Could that be right?

I'm happy to give cleaning up the tags a go, but...what is meta-data? Sorry, that's a pretty basic question, I realise.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #537 of 1,608
Thanks for this. Now, I have to be careful what I say 'cos I'm not very tech-savvy, but....when you say about using the player to write to the cards, I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. I use CDex to rip the CDs to a hard drive, each artist has a folder and each album is a subfolder (complete with artwork saves as "cover.jpeg", usually downloaded from Amazon. I have...well, a lot. I have no idea how many. I've just counted the number of artist folders, and it's 427, so if you figure an average of 5 albums per artist, say, that's 2, 135 albums and...well, okay, probably about 10,000 music files in there. Roughly. Someone once said that the problem might be that the device has file limits. Could that be right?

I'm happy to give cleaning up the tags a go, but...what is meta-data? Sorry, that's a pretty basic question, I realise.

Meta-data is just a term for data related to the files - in this case tags, art, etc. There are different ways of tagging FLAC files I believe, so MP3Tag can be a help in cleaning things up, but it also might take a bit of learning if you're not used to it. I use it most by selecting a bunch of files (same artist or album, for example) and then right-click and select Extended Tags. That allows you quickly to apply a change to all of the selected files - like delete surplus tags, or update so they all have the same spellings for the artist, or so that all have the same embedded album art for an album). You need to play around with it, but it's a very powerful tool once you dig into the possibilities. You can use MP3Tag across multiple artist folders at the same time, so don't worry that you have many of them. Then look at all of the tag fields using the Extended tags editor and delete any tags that have no relevance. Some CD rippers fill in loads of stuff you probably don't need.

Another thing you can do with your FLAC files is to check them for errors using flactester.exe - a Windows utility often distributed with the FLAC encoder - decoder software. That will allow you to identify any files that have errors in the FLAC data stream.

Lastly, you can use either the FLAC executable itself or a utility like dBpoweramp (highly recommended) to re-encode your FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files. I use it after a lot of tag editing sometimes to remove redundant space in the file. For FLAC, re-encoding to FLAC is very fast and 100% accurate as far as the lossless audio is concerned. For optimum speed, if you have more than one hard drive, use separate drives for source and destination data when re-encoding. It helps a lot.

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #538 of 1,608
No, you can't downgrade the firmware.

Cheers for that, what a bummer.

And with that statement, Onkyo and Pioneer are scrubbed off my future shopping list and I can stop reading this thread.

Oh well, back to watching Sony and Shanling and maybe Cayin...

I happen to me too, I only use for transportation only, i don't know what to do now.

Well, I will be attending the Indulgence show in London end of next week where Onkyo will be there as well as Pioneer so will be grilling them in no uncertain terms about this latest update messing up the USB line out they have only just introduced and will highlight the fact they are pissing off an amount of customers who got it for this function not to mention it will affect a number of possible future sales because of it and get an answer out of them as to why they have done this and what they will be doing about this issue in rectyfying it.

They have one of the best daps around at under £1K and if you need the USB line out function which many do want really does ruin the experience of wanting or having this player which is what makes it all the more frustrating and annoying.

I will update once I have meet them next Friday so be warned Onkyo stand I am coming for you! I'm hpoing the Japanese team from either Pioneer or Onkyo are there also as they were at the Metropolis studios earleir this year as they would really be the ones who would be able to answer the technical side of this for sure as to the why's of it all....

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #539 of 1,608
Meta-data is just a term for data related to the files - in this case tags, art, etc. There are different ways of tagging FLAC files I believe, so MP3Tag can be a help in cleaning things up, but it also might take a bit of learning if you're not used to it. I use it most by selecting a bunch of files (same artist or album, for example) and then right-click and select Extended Tags. That allows you quickly to apply a change to all of the selected files - like delete surplus tags, or update so they all have the same spellings for the artist, or so that all have the same embedded album art for an album). You need to play around with it, but it's a very powerful tool once you dig into the possibilities. You can use MP3Tag across multiple artist folders at the same time, so don't worry that you have many of them. Then look at all of the tag fields using the Extended tags editor and delete any tags that have no relevance. Some CD rippers fill in loads of stuff you probably don't need.

Another thing you can do with your FLAC files is to check them for errors using flactester.exe - a Windows utility often distributed with the FLAC encoder - decoder software. That will allow you to identify any files that have errors in the FLAC data stream.

Lastly, you can use either the FLAC executable itself or a utility like dBpoweramp (highly recommended) to re-encode your FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files. I use it after a lot of tag editing sometimes to remove redundant space in the file. For FLAC, re-encoding to FLAC is very fast and 100% accurate as far as the lossless audio is concerned. For optimum speed, if you have more than one hard drive, use separate drives for source and destination data when re-encoding. It helps a lot.

Thank you verymuch for this. I'll give the MP3Tag a go when I get a moment, but I suspect it might just be a bit much for my non-technical mind. I'm reminded of having Foobar2000 being recommended to me and, despite numerous visits to fan forums, never being able to remotely fathom what it was or what it was supposed to be or why everyone liked it, due to my lack of technical knowledge. I'll admit, I didn't understand a lot of your reply, and I still don't understand why all my files will work absolutely fine on the Fiio X5ii (and the Cowon X7 before that, although I've added a lot of files in the past year to take advantage of the increased capacity) but not with the X5iii or the Pioneer. But, I guess first I have to take a look at some of this software, so thanks for the recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back