Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Aug 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #466 of 1,608
Thanks, I'll ask how good Tidal offline support is on the DP-X1A and Pioneer XDP100R forums.
I did own bolth XDP-300 and DP-X1A with tidal. Works fine but you should save offline albums to the internal memory only, if you save to the micro SD card you get interruptions on milliseconds during a playback. I doubt that it was fixed.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #467 of 1,608
Really hope the software of the DP-S1 will automatically pause the playback when I unplug the 3.5mm / 2.5mm jack. I have once unplugged the 2.5mm jack and forgot to pause the playback or switch the device off. As a result, the battery drained to zero.
It may pause when you remove the 3.5 mm jack, but not after you used the 2.5 mm. I forgot to power it down after listening through the balanced port, and the battery got sucked dry. This thing has more bugs than the first release of Windows 95...Unfortunately I got mine from a Japanese merchant, it will be a real pain in the arse to return it. I regret I didn't go for the DP-X1 instead...

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #468 of 1,608
That's a great price too - I had been tracking on Amazon and managed to get it at the lowest point with the ten percent extra off that then. I felt a lot more comfortable buying from Amazon Japan given the support, guaranteed no issues with customs etc.

Do you find a significant difference between balanced and unbalanced? What headphones or IEM are you using with the Penon cable ?

Mine lists as Japan, which is what I would expect.

Hi mate, the 10% extra off is automatically factored into the price or is there a special coupon release? :)

Aug 24, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #469 of 1,608
It may pause when you remove the 3.5 mm jack, but not after you used the 2.5 mm. I forgot to power it down after listening through the balanced port, and the battery got sucked dry. This thing has more bugs than the first release of Windows 95...Unfortunately I got mine from a Japanese merchant, it will be a real pain in the arse to return it. I regret I didn't go for the DP-X1 instead...

I never got any "bugs" with my DP-S1, tho music not pausing when unplugging the balanced out (but does pause when unplugging the 3.5mm SE) is the norm with lots of my other players. Guess it's a matter of readily available parts.

I also found it about a million times more handy and convenient (UI included) than my DP-X1 so you made a great choice there.

Aug 24, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #470 of 1,608
I did own bolth XDP-300 and DP-X1A with tidal. Works fine but you should save offline albums to the internal memory only, if you save to the micro SD card you get interruptions on milliseconds during a playback. I doubt that it was fixed.

How often are we talking about - occasionally, or several times a track? Other users report no issues, could this be a question of different memory cards?

Aug 24, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #471 of 1,608
How often are we talking about - occasionally, or several times a track? Other users report no issues, could this be a question of different memory cards?
Well, sometimes yes, several times a track.
I have original sandisk 128 and 200 Gb microSD cards.
There were some tidal updates since that time, may be they did something to fix the issue, I don't know.

Aug 24, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #472 of 1,608
Well, sometimes yes, several times a track.
I have original sandisk 128 and 200 Gb microSD cards.
There were some tidal updates since that time, may be they did something to fix the issue, I don't know.

OK thanks. Trying to find out from some current users. I'd need more than just the internal memory for Tidal offline, unless the player lets you move Tidal files on and off the internal/external memory before playing?

My biggest usage scernario will be on the train to London but wifi/phone reception is crap so streaming won't work, has to be offline.

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #473 of 1,608
I never got any "bugs" with my DP-S1, tho music not pausing when unplugging the balanced out (but does pause when unplugging the 3.5mm SE) is the norm with lots of my other players. Guess it's a matter of readily available parts.

I also found it about a million times more handy and convenient (UI included) than my DP-X1 so you made a great choice there.
Yeah, I take back my earlier comment, the experience around the battery drain issue was based on my own stupidity...The battery wasn't drained; the player did not power up, because accidently I enabled the "lock" switch. I thought for sure this thing went dead on me after less than two weeks of ownership, I'm glad it didn't :). Otherwise I love it: sleek, practical, responsive and produces great sound.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #474 of 1,608
Does Onyko gives information about the output impedance of the Balanced output and single ended output on the DP-S1? Apparently the output impedance seems to have quite an effect to the sound signature of my IEMs.

The major bug that I encounter is that unplugging the balanced 2.5mm will not pause the playback.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #476 of 1,608
Regarding Bluetooth connection stability can somebody please comment if this is good? I am referring to placing the device in your pocket or backpack and walking or running around with it. Any music stutter or cut out? I am thinking of using this for the gym. Thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #477 of 1,608
I'm using my DP-S1 with BT headphones (B&W H8) and BT speakers (JBP Flip 3, Sony X9) and the connection is pretty stable on all devices.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #478 of 1,608
I have only used them with some BT speakers, but it works for 4 meters... but my cheap bt headphones have problems sometimes wuth my phone... its more down to the bt receiver than the transmitter, i can try my headphones tonight, but im sure they have a problem sibce they have a problem with my phone

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #479 of 1,608
Thanks guys for checking. Bluetooth reliability is very unforgiving when used during sports when the device is blocked by the body and moving, rather than simply leaving it stationery on a spot. I am using the n3 cayin and connection is so so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back