Official K-81 DJ thread
Dec 31, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #2,461 of 2,661
x2...i always use the headband of em a lil bit front then it should be...
tongue.gif
no, my head not too big but if i set it more front it's loosen "too much clamping" on my ears...
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #2,462 of 2,661
after reading the first 122 pages of this thread i think i will not get the velour pads now. even in this extreme heat of 40 degrees celsius i find the pleather quite comfy and have been listening non stop for over 2 hours.

now to more important matters...
one thing i did find out was the ability to remove the inner foam pads that sit inside the stock pleather pads. i really found the sound a lot clearer, less bassy and more enojoyable, but then i read that you shouldn't remove them untill the headphones have been burned in....

Quote:

It probably would have been better for you to have left the pads in until the drivers were mostly broken in. By taking them out too soon, you get untamed screechy highs and untamed, loose & wooly bass tones. The general recommendation is to leave the pads in until the break-in period is mostly done. (I say "mostly done" because my phones appear to be still breaking in and getting better. I probably have close to 200 hours on mine by now. )

so i put them back in (not liking SQ as much now
frown.gif
)
is the above statement true that i could mess up these HP by removing the foam pads during the burn in period?
if so how do i know when it's safe to take them out?
the sound is just so much better with them taken out imo
mad.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #2,463 of 2,661
Taking the inner pads out now (or ever) will in no way hurt your headphones. The comment about waiting until burn-in has completed is merely a suggestion to wait until the 'phones have reached their final sound before deciding for yourself and your ears whether you prefer the sound with or without the pads. The poster you quoted obviously preferred to keep his/her pads inserted until sufficient burn-in had transpired. If you like the sound better with the pads out already, then by all means keep them out. Should burn-in change your mind at some point, just pop them back in. It's really up to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #2,464 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the impact of the mods goes this way:
foam mod: most difference
recable: almost as much, I could hear the difference from stock to starquad, and even more from starquad to belden SPC.
blu-tak: nearly none at all. Maybe my ears aren't as finely-tuned.

if that's true that a recable improves the SQ by that much - i'd do it.
plus there's the advantage of shortening the cable length at the same time.

ishtob, any chance of an update on how yours sound with your new SPC?

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #2,465 of 2,661
Well as a couple of people in this thread my plug has gone out on me and bending it doesn't help too much anymore. I am wondering if someone figured out if it's possible to open up the current plug and resolder the cable in? If not what DIY plug's would you recommend from a place that ships to canada? ( I heard a mention of neutrik plugs before but I am wondering what other choices I have). I also don't want to re-cable because overall I am not happy with this set as most people are here and decided to save for a better set.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #2,466 of 2,661
I wasn't able to open the plug without damaging it when I was recabling mine (I originally wanted to use the original plug for my recable) it might be a better idea to replace the plug with another 3.5mm plug. Switchcraft and neutrik both have some nice gold-plated plugs

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #2,467 of 2,661
there's also canare plugs, but those are kinda big, since it was designed for thicker cables. the switchcraft ones also have pretty big entry opening, so some heat-shrink tubes will definitely help strain relieving, but they are only a few mm larger in diameter

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #2,470 of 2,661
imp0ssibled, ishtob & everyone, it's time for me to say goodbye...i'm sold mine (K518dj) but not gonna forget how great the sound was...me, out from Team AKG, especially Team K81dj/518dj...still looking for nu pair that circumaural, with pleather pads & deep bass like K518dj had...
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #2,471 of 2,661
aww boo, I love the k518dj sound... I'm keeping it even after I got a pair of HF-1, I'm trying to sell my k141 though
frown.gif

well good luck finding something. I do have a sextett that I'm fixing up, would you be interested?

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #2,473 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thx for offering the sextett to me but i planning to buy an Ultrasone headphone, ishtob...
wink.gif

good for u bro, when i have the money i would wanna try the dt770~

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #2,474 of 2,661
@all, just wanna say hi...and wanna say that for you ppl that wanna replace your K81/518dj for other circumaural i recommend Ultrasone DJ1, definitely cans for basshead that appreciate more realistic staging, more aggresive tight & fast bass, forward Mid, more efficient to drive & more comfort + non fatiguing...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back