Official K-81 DJ thread
Jan 18, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #1,982 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the nickel plated switchcraft good enough or would a gold plated jack be worth it?

the switchcraft is more than good enough...

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #1,983 of 2,661
I haven't read any of this thread yet, just markl's review

Giving them the source treatment
tongue.gif

k81.jpg

On burn in: should have less than 10 hours on them now

First thoughts on build, looks, comfort:
-impressive for a cheap pair of headphones.
-everything feels very sturdy, earpads are nice and soft, mostly plastic construction but AKG made a few peaces look like metal
-cups swivel in and out so you can get nearly any placement you want
-don't look too bad. I wouldn't have any problem wearing these on a flight (makes it a bit easier seeing all the Bose users), nice silver accents on the earcups
-numbered adjustments for the headband are the sweet; every headphone should have these
-thinnest cable I've seen on a pair of headphones (even thinner than the KSC35/75) which is great for portable use
-cable is right length for home use (wraps around my DAC, behind the Pass Labs and to my chair), bit too long for portable
-using them straight for 2 hours now and they're more comfortable than the SR-60 (without any headband bending). Since the cups swivel in many directions I've found perfect placement

Sound:

so far I've played select tracks from:
AC/DC - Live (2 disc)
Spock's Beard - The Kindness of Strangers
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Sunn O))) - Black One
Boris - Amplifier Worship
Yes - Fragile (MFSL)
The Who - Live at Leeds

basically nothing really audiophile-ish

-sound has impressed me
-just the right amount of bass (stock), kickdrums sound real
-not the best high freq extension
-tonally these do nothing wrong
-not hearing any midrange recession, but haven't listened to vocal heavy music
-electric guitars sound fun, but not as in your face as the SR-60
-can get slightly claustrophobic in complex prog passages
-bass lines sound great, can hear the different bass guitar notes clearly
-can't say too much about soundstage and imaging just yet
-bass is punchy and fun
-on Clapton's Unplugged there is more air around the notes on the SR-60, and the recording sounds a bit more open

I'm really happy with them for what I paid and I don't think I'll need to do the foam mod. I might add an update if much changes after 50 hours, but I'm not going to actively burn them in. I was expecting really heavy boomy, one note bass based off previous descriptions and having the DJ label, but notso off my source.

Will be doing more comparison's with the SR-60 (which are my favorite pair of headphones under $100)

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #1,984 of 2,661
100 pages! Respect!
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #1,985 of 2,661
maybe time for a second chapter?
icon10.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #1,986 of 2,661
i just got mine and i haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. ARGH! i guess i'll wait for my pa2v2 and have some
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #1,987 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got mine and i haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. ARGH! i guess i'll wait for my pa2v2 and have some
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

if you have you're pa2v2 can you tell me how it sounds?

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #1,988 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by biermagnaat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you have you're pa2v2 can you tell me how it sounds?

A fully break-in K81DJ with PA2V2 sound realy good, realy warm presentation and deep deep bass without compromising with the highs to much. But at first you could be floored by the over the sluggish bassy character of these two put together, but if you give them two a good period of break-in they mix pretty well.

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #1,989 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fully break-in K81DJ with PA2V2 sound realy good, realy warm presentation and deep deep bass without compromising with the highs to much. But at first you could be floored by the over the sluggish bassy character of these two put together, but if you give them two a good period of break-in they mix pretty well.

thanks luidge i think i will order me a pa2v2 also. great man behind it! really nice guy and i think that for 60 bucks it can't do anything wrong.

we'll see.
basshead.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #1,990 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100 pages! Respect!
biggrin.gif

I've been in on this thread from very near the begining, and I can remember some joker basiclly saying this thread wouldn't last, that the K81DJ's were just a flavor of the month. HA!!!! Look how many people this thread has helped discover a really great, inexpensive, fun pair of cans. The K81DJ's are one of those products, like the original Ford Mustang, that are far better than anyone thought they'd be. All I can say is, if you haven't heard them - get em and listen.

Jan 19, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #1,991 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in on this thread from very near the begining, and I can remember some joker basiclly saying this thread wouldn't last, that the K81DJ's were just a flavor of the month. HA!!!! Look how many people this thread has helped discover a really great, inexpensive, fun pair of cans. The K81DJ's are one of those products, like the original Ford Mustang, that are far better than anyone thought they'd be. All I can say is, if you haven't heard them - get em and listen.

beatifully spoken but can we change the mustang for a 911 because i'm from overseas
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #1,992 of 2,661
just got mine today. wow i cant believe the isolation, iknow they are closed, but the difference from grados is like night and day. and dont let me get started about the bass.

if u like hiphop i think this is the headphones for portable use, yup the folding action and everything this is just wat i needed.
i luv it...............but without trashing this great thread for one of the best headphones out there the k518s are much sweeter..........wow the color combo of that thing is SWEET!!!!!
cant get it on the US though.........if it is i would buy it(even though they are the same), yup this headphones is just that great having another pair for in another color is still worth it since the price is quite good for these sweet things.

it's about time to create a smiley with some k81s on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #1,993 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by biermagnaat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beatifully spoken but can we change the mustang for a 911 because i'm from overseas
biggrin.gif

You can compare them to any car you choose. Just as long as it's fun - like the K81DJ's.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #1,994 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can compare them to any car you choose. Just as long as it's fun - like the K81DJ's.
eggosmile.gif

let's be hones with each other: life is all about fun!!!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back