Official K-81 DJ thread
Jan 3, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #1,921 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBurns11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I've done a LOT of reading on these boards. And although I've never heard them I do have a good idea of what the 'Grado signature sound' is, bright. I felt I had to state that as a disclaimer, I may not have the most accurate opinion.

No offense, but thinking that you understand what a headphone sounds like by reading about it is like thinking you know what ice cream tastes like by reading about it. In other words, you have to experience it first-hand before you can comment in any meaningful way.

Jan 3, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #1,922 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but thinking that you understand what a headphone sounds like by reading about it is like thinking you know what ice cream tastes like by reading about it. In other words, you have to experience it first-hand before you can comment in any meaningful way.

Hey, I thought i was the Ice Cream Analogy man!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #1,923 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I thought i was the Ice Cream Analogy man!
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry Jahn! My first draft compared it to sex, but it didn't really work out.
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #1,924 of 2,661
Quote:

So, Grado's aren't bright?...

I was simply stating that if he was looking for a bright headphones, the K81's were not it. He also said he would like a closed version of Grado's, that's the only reason I mentioned them.

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #1,926 of 2,661
Quote:

So, Grado's aren't bright?...

You're missing my point. Unless you've heard them, how do you know they're bright TO YOU. You have no frame of reference. There are some people here who don't feel that Grados (well, everything but the SR325
icon10.gif
)are particularly bright. How do you know that you're not one of them? Everyone hears things differently.

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #1,927 of 2,661
Quote:

You're missing my point. Unless you've heard them, how do you know they're bright TO YOU. You have no frame of reference. There are some people here who don't feel that Grados (well, everything but the SR325
icon10.gif
)are particularly bright. How do you know that you're not one of them? Everyone hears things differently.

I didn't say anything about how the Grado's sounded to me. He said he liked bright highs and wanted a Grado like sound. Now I might not know what Grado's sound like, but I do know that the K81's don't have bright highs and therefor don't have the bright/Grado sound the HE hears from the Grado's.

I don't know how bright Grado's are to me, then again I don't know how bright they are to him. Or how bright he would think the K81's are, but I do know that he thinks Grado's are bright and I think K81's are not bright. Now, is my opinion is accurate as it would be if I had heard the Grado's? No. But if I had I may have been able to give him a more in depth answer, instead my answer was quite simple. I even stated that I did not hear Grado's and might not have the best opinion to go by. But I did my best with the knowledge available to me and don't feel that I misguided him in any way.

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #1,928 of 2,661
Quote:

I didn't say anything about how the Grado's sounded to me. He said he liked bright highs and wanted a Grado like sound. Now I might not know what Grado's sound like, but I do know that the K81's don't have bright highs and therefor don't have the bright/Grado sound the HE hears from the Grado's.

I'm not criticizing you, just pointing out a salient fact. I'll repeat my main point. You have no personal frame of reference regarding the sound of Grado headphones compared to anything else, and leave it at that. There's no sense in going any further.

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #1,929 of 2,661
Some Grado's might be bright to some people, but as a whole I would not call the Grado house sound bright. If you want a bright headphone you could always pick yourself up a pair of SA5000's... those things will make your ears bleed.
evil_smiley.gif

Personally, I think that the K81DJ's still fit in the AKG house sound. Some people might compare them to Grado's due to their ample bass, but I think that is a mistake. The K81DJ is the most open sounding closed supra aural headphone out there, and most Grado's are pretty forward sounding... but that mid ground where they meet is their only real connection. It terms of the character of the sound, especially the mids, they are two completely different animals.

Still there is nothing saying that someone who likes Grado's wont like the K81DJ's... I happen to like both quite a bit. I believe Jahn would also agree with me there.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #1,930 of 2,661
OK, I may have made a mistake in even mentioning Grado's. But I did not mention them because I thought they sounded like anything, I mentioned them because he said that he liked Grado's/bright headphones. Maybe I should have just said 'The K81's are not bright', instead of saying the are unlike Grado's.

Officially done.

P.S. dpippel I never once felt 'criticized'. It was a perfectly civilized argument, no hard feelings in the least.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #1,931 of 2,661
Hi I'm from the Philippines and this thread has motivated me to buy a K-81 headphones. I already own a CX300 but I also want to own an excellent headphone which will not put a hole in my wallet. I was initially planning on buying a senn HD201 but this whole thread made me change my mind. The problem is I am having a problem locating a store in my country that sell this headphone. Can anybody help me. I want my AKG 81 so badly! Thanks

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #1,933 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, my bad. i didn't realize you are in holland. rat shack is a euphemism for Radio Shack - a huge national electronics store chain that also caters to geeky DIY'ers. i took a quick look and see they do not have any stores in holland. but to give you an idea a cheap kind of soldering iron you can get take a look here. i'm sure you can find something similar there.

as for the other parts - you might want to post an inquiry in the DIY section to get some advice on where to get stuff in holland.

i think i will because i wouldn't know where to get the cables in holland i've looked in some web shops where i thought off they might had it but they didn't so i'll look in de diy section thanks!

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #1,934 of 2,661
Quote:

P.S. dpippel I never once felt 'criticized'. It was a perfectly civilized argument, no hard feelings in the least.

Peace out.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #1,935 of 2,661
Something to note (not sure if this has been previously mentioned in this thread):

For those of you who wear glasses when you listen to music, the AKG's are definetly starting to put pressure on my ears where my glasses are. I've had these cans for almost 2 weeks now and use them on my communte to work for about 30-45 minutes. I do feel quite a bit of pressure which does cause slight discomfort where my glasses meet my head. Also note that they keep your ears toasty warm for winter.

Just wanted to make you guys aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back