Official K-81 DJ thread
Sep 6, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #1,441 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Headphones in a line-out? I wouldn't recommend that.

You are, of course, correct sir. I meant use the headphone out to listen and the dock to keep it charged. My bad.

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #1,443 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMVIII
Bend them first before jumping to any conclusions. Once burned in and stretched out they are very comfortable.

I haven't ... I forgot to add that had only been using them for a few hours and that I hadn't properly adjusted the headband yet.

Quote:

Go to the Apple store and buy a refurbished gen4 40 gig iPod. About the same price as the Nano, and it comes with the Dock, so you can keep it charged all day and plug your K-81DJ's into the line out and listen all day.

I think I'm going to get a 5g 30gb refurb @ $200. I don't need a dock as I work at a computer all day, and can just plug it up to my computers usb port. It would be nice my workstation had something better than an intel soundcard
frown.gif

Quote:

Don't bother, unless you've got money to burn. I have both and I rarely use the HD280's (my kids spend more time with em than I do). The AKG's sound worlds better, especially in the bass. Besides, the HD280's are heavier, and warmer over long periods of time. Initially they'll feel more comfortable, but that extra weight eventually will take its toll. Also, they are nowhere near as small and even though they fold up, they aren't really portable.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just thinking about adding variety to my work collection, but I guess I can stratch the hd280 off of my list.

Sep 7, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #1,445 of 2,661
Come on you guys, a lil help here.
Any of you guys find that the silver paint on the hinges and the numbered bits on your k81s look spotty? The silver hinges on mine especially look like they've gone thru some really bad cheap ass spray job.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #1,446 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485
Come on you guys, a lil help here.
Any of you guys find that the silver paint on the hinges and the numbered bits on your k81s look spotty? The silver hinges on mine especially look like they've gone thru some really bad cheap ass spray job.

Dude, they are $80 headphones. Or in most cases, $60 headphones. I've seen $17,000 cars with spotty paint jobs. Low priced cans don't stand a chance!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, my suggestion is to close your eyes, ignore the paint and enjoy the beautiful music.
wink.gif

A_Sr.

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #1,447 of 2,661
I'm really looking into getting these cans for college so I don't piss off my roommates (got stuck in a triple man in a dorm... yuck) with the sound leakage from my SR-60's, but I don't think it'll happen until school starts. An amp and M-Audio Audiophile USB are farther up the list for me than another pair of cans.

Sep 7, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #1,448 of 2,661
Somethin interesseting happend today. Let my K81 Play 12ours non stop with Classic Music (Dvorak - slavik dances) they play some complicated parts alot better. Cant belive it. Thought they would be burned in but it looks simple using cant be compared to real "extensive burn in".

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #1,449 of 2,661
Sorry about my little plug...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallstreet
I'm contemplating a refurb 5g ipod, cowon x5l or waiting a few weeks [supposedly] higher capacity nano's are released. My options are limited because excellent linux support is a must.

I own an iAudio X5L and I would strongly advise against buying one. I had mine for ~6 months and my headphone jack broke plus my joystick was beginning to fail. So I emailed Cowon, got an RMA number, sent it in and got it fixed. The sent it back to me with a perfectly working headphone jack, the joystick was still having problems AND there is a huge gash on the back of my player!!
frown.gif
mad.gif
I don't want to send it back because I havent been able to use it. Shoddy customer service, I expect something better than this... Also, I don't think I am the only one with these kinds of problem, go to iaudiophile.net and check out their forums... Also, can the iPod used with linux? You would need iTunes, right?
confused.gif
Anyway, those are my thoughts, I would stay away from the X5.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #1,450 of 2,661
So I ended up bending mine a little closer together again. I got so used to the light pressure that a little more is no problem. Bonuses were the better isolation (seal) and bass increase (seal). I friggen love these cans. I now use my Shure inline volume control for my portable radio to ease off the edge (these cans are super sensitive).

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #1,451 of 2,661
Been listening to mine for a couple weeks, and I can safely say that I've finally found a pair of cans that can put a smile on my face (coming from KSC75 and E2C). I loved them from the beginning mainly because of the mind blowing bass (good thing for me), but as they slowly burned in I began to also appreciate them for a mid and upper range that just sounded "right" as others have said.

The two songs I love listening to on these things are "Don't Feel Like Dancin'" by Scissor Sisters and "Be Here Now" by Ray LaMontagne. Total opposites, but they both make me smile and boogie. Well, maybe not the latter w/ the LaMontagne.
lambda.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #1,452 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
So I ended up bending mine a little closer together again. I got so used to the light pressure that a little more is no problem. Bonuses were the better isolation (seal) and bass increase (seal). I friggen love these cans. I now use my Shure inline volume control for my portable radio to ease off the edge (these cans are super sensitive).

I'm going through this process too, but I still haven't gotten the fit just right. I loosened them up a little too much and now the isolation isn't nearly as good (can still hear about everything going on in the office when listening to quieter cds). They do sound great though ... I only wish the cable was a little thicker, and shorter.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #1,453 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallstreet
I loosened them up a little too much and now the isolation isn't nearly as good (can still hear about everything going on in the office when listening to quieter cds).

That's what I worry about when bending back headphones. Some closed headphones are tight for a good reason, to improve isolation.

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #1,454 of 2,661
Quote:

That's what I worry about when bending back headphones. Some closed headphones are tight for a good reason, to improve isolation.

They have a metal headband and bend back in place easily. They are quite a rugged phone, except for the cable which is portable thin and has issues w/ the flexible part of the jack if stress is put on it, but it is on $55.

I was just comenting on this because I haven't found the right comfort/isolation ratio yet, but I haven't had time to adjust them much as I have only had them for a few days.

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #1,455 of 2,661
Quote:

Why worry, you can just bend them back to whatever position you want. I made them extremely comfy, but lost some isolation and bass. Now that I am very used to the feel of them, a little added pressure seems fine (kind of secure actually) and I ended up increasing the isolation again, which increased the bass. I won in both regards. I swear the seal is really serious, almost feels like it is making a vacuum on your ears if you push the cups against them, then release, as it slowly pulls back away.

I actually like the secureness of them. Compared to my K601's that always feel like they are about to fall off my head. Still the velour pads on the K601s are just like pillows. These are beautiful cans. I am going to keep using these babies for a long time. After doing a bunch of reading, I decided against going with some MS2's (at least for a while).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back