Official K-81 DJ thread
Sep 14, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #1,472 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
The loudest part of my commutes is actually the light-rail in a ten minute run through a tunnel (basically a light-rail train not designed for subway use doing the subway thing, so rather wind noisy).

Actually sounds very similar to the loudest (and most annoying) part of the light-rail line I frequently ride here...maybe we're talking about the same system?

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #1,473 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexKidd
At first, I liked my k81's better with the foams out, because of the tamed bass and the somehow more detailed sound... after thousands of hours of use, I think that i'm starting to prefer them with the foams on.

How about you guys?

I'm back to foams in. Not sure what happened, because I used way prefer them with the foams out. But I just do what my ears tell me. I don't question them. They don't respond well to that.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #1,474 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghingus
I'm back to foams in. Not sure what happened, because I used way prefer them with the foams out. But I just do what my ears tell me. I don't question them. They don't respond well to that.

Ya I am part of Team Never Removed them. I did take them out of my second project pair (broken headband, bought from Markl). They sound so great that I don't want to mess with them (plus someone said it increased the highs, not something I want). Never tried listening to them, just inspected the foam. It is similar to a thin slice off the top of the RS-1 pizza box foam, in that it has cloth glued to one side.

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #1,475 of 2,661
I've kept the foam out. Why? Because the fequency balance is better that way. With the foam in I hear far too much bass at the expence of the mids and highs.

But, I'm not so foolish as to think that my way is the only way. To each their own - as long as you're enjoying them, that's what counts.

And after 6 months of heavy use, they are still THE best bargain in headphones out there. (how's that for sticking the ole neck out?)

Sep 14, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #1,476 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII
I've kept the foam out. Why? Because the fequency balance is better that way. With the foam in I hear far too much bass at the expence of the mids and highs.

But, I'm not so foolish as to think that my way is the only way. To each their own - as long as you're enjoying them, that's what counts.

And after 6 months of heavy use, they are still THE best bargain in headphones out there. (how's that for sticking the ole neck out?)

I think I'm going to get a pair for a family member, these sound like a sweet deal.
eggosmile.gif

I personally use the Senn HD25-1's as my portable can (turns nose up.. jk) but I admit I feel a bit funny walking around with a pair of headphones that retails for $200 in the street.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #1,477 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma
I finally made the plunge, my roommate goes to bed around midnight and I usually stay up until 3-4am, and my HD555s were just leaking too much sound
frown.gif
I bought the K81DJ from ebay for $59 + $8 shipping... I can't wait to try them out!
eggosmile.gif

do all american university students share rooms?

nobody would ever do that here in the u.k.

what do you do when you want your gf to stay over?

back to the topic, closed cans are the defo the way to go for you. you might want to try the sony v6, which isolates really well and doesn't have the k81s horrid clamp force

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #1,478 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
I think I'm going to get a pair for a family member, these sound like a sweet deal.
eggosmile.gif

I personally use the Senn HD25-1's as my portable can (turns nose up.. jk) but I admit I feel a bit funny walking around with a pair of headphones that retails for $200 in the street.

Imagine how UE-10 Pro users feel.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #1,479 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
if the NYC Subway system qualifies, the answer is yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a plane not as good isolation. Okay for the movies, but questionable for music. Behind the engines....forget it!

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #1,480 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
do all american university students share rooms?

nobody would ever do that here in the u.k.

what do you do when you want your gf to stay over?

back to the topic, closed cans are the defo the way to go for you. you might want to try the sony v6, which isolates really well and doesn't have the k81s horrid clamp force

yes, usually college students staying in a dorm have at least one roommate, sometimes two. rarely, single rooms can be had but they cost more than double or triple rooms.

my roommate and i have an agreement that when one of us brings a girl home the other will sleep in the lounge
cool.gif

I've already ordered the K81DJ and they should be here tomorrow, and the way people rave about them on here I expect I won't be let down (Head-Fi was right about the KSC75s)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #1,481 of 2,661
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma
my roommate and i have an agreement that when one of us brings a girl home the other will sleep in the lounge
cool.gif

I've already ordered the K81DJ and they should be here tomorrow, and the way people rave about them on here I expect I won't be let down (Head-Fi was right about the KSC75s)
smily_headphones1.gif

If your roommate comes home with someone you like, have her try your K81DJs and your roommate may be sleeping in the lounge!

Sep 15, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #1,482 of 2,661
I'm pretty sure there isn't much mention of these cans with a LDM+. I'm just curious if this amp would do anything for these headphones. I've heard the LDM+ can reduce the bass a little which wouldn't be a problem with these so maybe it would help to balance them out? Anyone tried this combo?

Sep 15, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #1,483 of 2,661
In my experience the LDM+ has a marginal effect on bass (might give a little more punch). In short it made my K81DJ sound a little cleaner, better instrument seperation and a little more detail, than they sounded straight out of the headphone jack.

Sep 15, 2006 at 12:38 PM Post #1,484 of 2,661
I ordered an LDM+ recently to serve as my back-up portable amp since I sold my SMIV. So I will try this, and offer a brief comparison to my current favorite combo of the RSA Hornet + K81dj.

Sep 15, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #1,485 of 2,661
after giving my third pair of these cans away, i've been wanting to get a replacement pair. as discussed earlier in this thread, fascination productions was able to offer them for a very fair price. unfortunately they're no longer offering these cans on ebay so i contacted fascination productions directly and asked them if they would still offer the $55+tax price for these cans. they were willing to accept the price and this included shipping. if you're still looking for a pair of these cans, contact them directly to get the $55 price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back