Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #10,277 of 10,664
Don't know if any of you have seen the post out there on the internet on how to install a rasperberry pi into a ipod case enabling it to stream spotify.

Nope. Though in seeing occasional discussions about somehow producing a DAP specifically intended for running Rockbox, it has occured to me that one approach would be to manufacture or find a logic board that could be fitted into an ipod classic/video housing, given how widely-available ipod classic/video parts are. Presumably actually making/selling such a device would run into legal IP issues, so it would have to mean people buying the logic board then putting the thing together themselves. I don't know anything at all about the Pi, but I guess that might be one way of doing it.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #10,278 of 10,664
Don't know if any of you have seen the post out there on the internet on how to install a rasperberry pi into a ipod case enabling it to stream spotify.

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/27/raspberry-pi-zero-powers-spotify-streaming-ipod/#more-458449

That's awesome. Way too much technical expertise for me but this is 1 step closer to me resurrecting my beloved 3G iPod (4 button model). If I can turn it into a bluetooth capable player, I'm ready. No interest in Spotify, but changing the music player to internal storage shouldn't be the problem. I just want bluetooth. (and USB charging since that model only charges over Firewire)

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #10,280 of 10,664
https://hackaday.com/2021/01/27/raspberry-pi-zero-powers-spotify-streaming-ipod/#more-458449

That's awesome. Way too much technical expertise for me but this is 1 step closer to me resurrecting my beloved 3G iPod (4 button model). If I can turn it into a bluetooth capable player, I'm ready. No interest in Spotify, but changing the music player to internal storage shouldn't be the problem. I just want bluetooth. (and USB charging since that model only charges over Firewire)

Yeah, that's a brilliant creation - very much in the spirit of this thread!

Wonder if it could be done with an ipod classic housing, or if it's crucial to have the space/dimensions of the older model?

Also, on the same site I see this

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/18/retrofitting-usb-c-to-an-ipod-nano/

which makes me wonder if there's any benefit in transfer speed to doing such a thing, or if it's just for the sake of getting the more modern plug.socket design?

Feb 10, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #10,281 of 10,664
Feb 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #10,283 of 10,664
Exactly... using the thick case back should be no problem, unless the battery is some new thicker version. Thin case back won't work.

I'm actually wondering if I maybe should remake my slim-iflash-ipods with thick backs, because it really does seem as if the slim cases are such a tight fit with the larger batteries that it affects the 'feel' of the click-buttons, by putting pressure on them from behind. With the 7th gens anyway. The thick one seems to have a more satisfactory tactile feel with the buttons. The slim housing doesn't really give any practical benefit. Other than the fact that cases for them are much harder to find than the ubiquitous transparent plastic ones for the slim models (I have one single case that fits the thick model - the one I bought a decade ago when I bought my first - non-modded - ipod classic).

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #10,284 of 10,664
I'm actually wondering if I maybe should remake my slim-iflash-ipods with thick backs, because it really does seem as if the slim cases are such a tight fit with the larger batteries that it affects the 'feel' of the click-buttons, by putting pressure on them from behind. With the 7th gens anyway. The thick one seems to have a more satisfactory tactile feel with the buttons. The slim housing doesn't really give any practical benefit. Other than the fact that cases for them are much harder to find than the ubiquitous transparent plastic ones for the slim models (I have one single case that fits the thick model - the one I bought a decade ago when I bought my first - non-modded - ipod classic).
I used the thick case on all of my builds except one, I didn't like the idea of pressure on the click buttons, and I also don't like the idea of the battery being squeezed, as that kind of battery runs a risk of catching fire if the outer insulation is breached, Li-ion can combust when exposed to oxygen.

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #10,285 of 10,664
I used the thick case on all of my builds except one, I didn't like the idea of pressure on the click buttons, and I also don't like the idea of the battery being squeezed, as that kind of battery runs a risk of catching fire if the outer insulation is breached, Li-ion can combust when exposed to oxygen.

I think it's only likely to burst into flames if the thing is actually outright punctured, and I don't think the tight fit is likely to lead to that. But yeah, on reflection I've come to think squeezing it into a slim housing is an unnecessary potential source of problems, for no real benefit. It's annoying that protective cases for the fatter 6th gens are so hard to find, though.

Also it's a pity there isn't a _slightly_ thicker battery that would make use of the extra space with the thick-back, to give higher capacity while still not being a problematically tight fit.

Finally, I'm hoping Tarkan eventually produces a 6x or even 8x adaptor! And that someone modifies Rockbox to support ExFAT.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #10,287 of 10,664
Anybody know of a good portable amp to partner an iPod?

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #10,288 of 10,664
Anybody know of a good portable amp to partner an iPod?
I use the Topping NX3s & the PA2v2. I can tell from your signature that neither of these are what you're looking for. The biggest obstacle isn't the amp, but the cable. You'll get better sound using the 30pin out rather than the 3.5mm. There used to be a guy on ebay making higher end 30pin cables. I wasn't able to find him last I looked. Even the cheap 30pin wires have mostly disappeared but I did find a cheap Chinese one over a year ago. Do you already have a cable?

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #10,289 of 10,664
I use the Topping NX3s & the PA2v2. I can tell from your signature that neither of these are what you're looking for. The biggest obstacle isn't the amp, but the cable. You'll get better sound using the 30pin out rather than the 3.5mm. There used to be a guy on ebay making higher end 30pin cables. I wasn't able to find him last I looked. Even the cheap 30pin wires have mostly disappeared but I did find a cheap Chinese one over a year ago. Do you already have a cable?
I do indeed have that cable. Thankfully I bought it years ago

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10,290 of 10,664
Oooooo.... Glad I kept them for nostalgia reasons.... RWA full iMod with larger HD and Battery sitting on a Nico V2 Portable Amp connected with an ALO LOD. Sounds fantastic! The other iPod V5 is sitting on a 'home built' PA2v2 Portable Amp from the 'Bay connected with an ALO Cryo Lead. A definite mark up from standard sound. Mini iPod fabulous to clip to your inner pocket or shirt and carry your Tunes... you hardly know it's there. Lastly, a bog standard 32GB ready to play around with. Only recently, I also came across the original boxes for the iPods including the RWA Presentation and Shipping box. I hope you enjoyed my little nostalgia trip! 😁

Attachments

• 20210225_230355.jpg
    20210225_230355.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210225_230436.jpg
    20210225_230436.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210225_230549.jpg
    20210225_230549.jpg
    991 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210225_231101.jpg
    20210225_231101.jpg