Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #10,247 of 10,664
Does anyone know of any reliable place to buy micro sd cards, other than Amazon (in UK, or maybe Europe)?

It astounds me how awash with very obvious fakes the market is - I generally assume _all_ sd cards on Ebay are fake, and the vast majority of those on Amazon (other than supplied by Amazon themselves) seem to be also. I haven't tried them, but somehow I suspect a generic non-brand (or unknown brand) 1Tb micro sd card for £20 (or less!) is pretty much certain to be a fake. There were cards like that on offer even before any known manufacturer was even making a 1Tb micro sd.

It makes it just impossible to search for a 'bargain' or a genuinely 'second hand' card (sold by an individual who has just moved on to a bigger card, say). Or to sell a second-hand card yourself. It really damages the market for everyone, so why don't Amazon or Ebay - or the card manufacturers - do anything about the problem?
It also annoys me how many people will just buy a card and immediately leave a positive review or feedback, without first testing it with something like h2testw. That effectively makes feedback and reviews kind-of useless. People just say "it arrived quickly and it formatted well, must be good". Test it properly before leaving a review, you oafs!

I only ever buy cards from Amazon during their sales, but when I miss the sale there's really nowhere else to look but to wait for the next Amazon sale to come round - which is frustrating.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #10,248 of 10,664
Does anyone know of any reliable place to buy micro sd cards, other than Amazon (in UK, or maybe Europe)?

It astounds me how awash with very obvious fakes the market is - I generally assume _all_ sd cards on Ebay are fake, and the vast majority of those on Amazon (other than supplied by Amazon themselves) seem to be also. I haven't tried them, but somehow I suspect a generic non-brand (or unknown brand) 1Tb micro sd card for £20 (or less!) is pretty much certain to be a fake. There were cards like that on offer even before any known manufacturer was even making a 1Tb micro sd.

It makes it just impossible to search for a 'bargain' or a genuinely 'second hand' card (sold by an individual who has just moved on to a bigger card, say). Or to sell a second-hand card yourself. It really damages the market for everyone, so why don't Amazon or Ebay - or the card manufacturers - do anything about the problem?
It also annoys me how many people will just buy a card and immediately leave a positive review or feedback, without first testing it with something like h2testw. That effectively makes feedback and reviews kind-of useless. People just say "it arrived quickly and it formatted well, must be good". Test it properly before leaving a review, you oafs!

I only ever buy cards from Amazon during their sales, but when I miss the sale there's really nowhere else to look but to wait for the next Amazon sale to come round - which is frustrating.

I know what you mean. Thing is, normal people simply don't know about fake cards. They find out the hard way, like you and I.

Obvious fakes - yeah, and those 256GB SDHC cards. Haha! The SDHC spec doesn't go beyond 32GB!

I have bought second-hard cards from ebay with some success but you have to sniff out the sellers who sound like they know what they're talking about e.g. state where they bought the card originally; tested with h2testw; how old it is etc. However, with the price of new cards falling I don't bother doing this any more.

Places to shop : MyMemory is one of my faves at the moment. Their own brand cards are good value. I've got one of their 512GB uSDXC cards in an iPod right now.

If you want a named brand then you could check their websites for authorised sellers e.g Sandisk
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/distributors
MyMemory, PicStop, loads of others listed there.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #10,249 of 10,664
I know what you mean. Thing is, normal people simply don't know about fake cards. They find out the hard way, like you and I.

Obvious fakes - yeah, and those 256GB SDHC cards. Haha! The SDHC spec doesn't go beyond 32GB!

I have bought second-hard cards from ebay with some success but you have to sniff out the sellers who sound like they know what they're talking about e.g. state where they bought the card originally; tested with h2testw; how old it is etc. However, with the price of new cards falling I don't bother doing this any more.

Places to shop : MyMemory is one of my faves at the moment. Their own brand cards are good value. I've got one of their 512GB uSDXC cards in an iPod right now.

If you want a named brand then you could check their websites for authorised sellers e.g Sandisk
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/distributors
MyMemory, PicStop, loads of others listed there.

Thanks! That's a useful suggestion.

I've seen My Memory as 3rd party seller on Amazon in the past but always ignored them in favour of "supplied by Amazon" as I have come to not trust 3rd party sellers.

Just missed the recent Amazon sale - did the usual thing I do of deciding I don't need any more capacity at the moment so should resist the temptation... then changed my mind after it was too late and the prices had gone back up.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #10,250 of 10,664
Thanks! That's a useful suggestion.

I've seen My Memory as 3rd party seller on Amazon in the past but always ignored them in favour of "supplied by Amazon" as I have come to not trust 3rd party sellers.

Just missed the recent Amazon sale - did the usual thing I do of deciding I don't need any more capacity at the moment so should resist the temptation... then changed my mind after it was too late and the prices had gone back up.
Another thing to note with Amazon is always buy a card that is described and shown in sealed retail packaging. The so-called "frustration free" packaging is just a card that someone else returned, and I don't think Amazon does a good job of testing them, they just resell the returns at a discount.

Unfortunately that means the card may be damaged, corrupted, or have already been reformatted by who knows who. Additionally, there are very dishonest people out there that will buy the obviously fake ones on eBay and also buy a real one from Amazon, then return the fake to Amazon for a full refund, and Amazon then unknowingly resells the fake. I'm not kidding.

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #10,252 of 10,664
Hi all,
I take this opportunity to ask here even if I could be off topic.
Who knows exactly what causes the "white screen of death"?
On the internet I have read 1000 solutions but these are often not working, someone has changed everything, from the mother board to the display, better positioned the flat cables of the display and yet the problems remain.
I have two of the original ipod classic that have the same problem for long time, I can listen, load songs with floola or itunes, charge the battery, hear the click well all working well but the "white screen of death" remains inexorably.
Could it be a firmware issue that suddenly got corrupted?

Other ideas, thoughts or certainties to expose?

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #10,253 of 10,664
Hi all,
I take this opportunity to ask here even if I could be off topic.
Who knows exactly what causes the "white screen of death"?
On the internet I have read 1000 solutions but these are often not working, someone has changed everything, from the mother board to the display, better positioned the flat cables of the display and yet the problems remain.
I have two of the original ipod classic that have the same problem for long time, I can listen, load songs with floola or itunes, charge the battery, hear the click well all working well but the "white screen of death" remains inexorably.
Could it be a firmware issue that suddenly got corrupted?

Other ideas, thoughts or certainties to expose?

Not sure what that refers to. I've had instances where everything else works, i.e. you can negotiate the menus and play music, but the screen remains blanked-out and white. In those cases I've found its usually just a failed LCD screen - generally water-damage seems to do that (really, 'water damage' tends to destroy every part of an ipod, any second-hand broken iPod that has that description is probably useless for everything except the housing and the audio jack). But I vaguely remember one instance when it was a fault on the logic-board and even replacing the screen didn't help.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #10,254 of 10,664
Not sure what that refers to. I've had instances where everything else works, i.e. you can negotiate the menus and play music, but the screen remains blanked-out and white. In those cases I've found its usually just a failed LCD screen - generally water-damage seems to do that (really, 'water damage' tends to destroy every part of an ipod, any second-hand broken iPod that has that description is probably useless for everything except the housing and the audio jack). But I vaguely remember one instance when it was a fault on the logic-board and even replacing the screen didn't help.

Many thanks for the answer, so tastes can be random and each white screen of death is an individual problem.
Could it also be the corrupt firmware?
What is known about this Dr. phone Ipod program that maybe could help you fix or Is this bullsh**?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #10,255 of 10,664
Many thanks for the answer, so tastes can be random and each white screen of death is an individual problem.
Could it also be the corrupt firmware?
What is known about this Dr. phone Ipod program that maybe could help you fix or Is this bullsh**?

Have you tried just replacing the LCD screen? Even if you have a damaged screen availble to try (e.g. one with some section of dead pixels) you could still see if it shows anything at all. It certainly _could_ be just the screen itself. But I'm fairly sure there was one ipod I had where it seemed to be a logic-board issue and trying different screens didn't make any difference. Afraid I've never heard of "Dr Phone Ipod".

I doubt it's a firmware issue. Though there are two other ways I've encountered white-out screens. Both were intermittent, however. One was just a bad connection with the screen cable (removing and reinserting that cable fixed it), the other thing is sometimes with rockbox (only with rockbox) something happens that makes it forget to draw anything on the screen. Both those faults were very intermittent though, not a constant white screen, it would blank out and then come back again.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #10,257 of 10,664
Dear IPOD-Lovers community,

this thread is really a blast.... so great.
Haven't written here in a long while, I know, my bad. All my Ipods run great now - have them all fixed up with SD-Cards or micro SD cards.
But a question popped up in my mind..... a work-mate of mine starts having the "Ipod-Fever", way too late, but better late than never, right? *grin
Is it possible to insert up to 1TB or even 2TB into the 5.5 Gen Ipod Video?
On Tarkan's website I cannot find anything. It just says 512GB, but for the 7th gen it site claims it can just hold 1TB but even 2TB are possible.

Thanks in advance.

Greets,
Julia

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #10,258 of 10,664
Dear IPOD-Lovers community,

this thread is really a blast.... so great.
Haven't written here in a long while, I know, my bad. All my Ipods run great now - have them all fixed up with SD-Cards or micro SD cards.
But a question popped up in my mind..... a work-mate of mine starts having the "Ipod-Fever", way too late, but better late than never, right? *grin
Is it possible to insert up to 1TB or even 2TB into the 5.5 Gen Ipod Video?
On Tarkan's website I cannot find anything. It just says 512GB, but for the 7th gen it site claims it can just hold 1TB but even 2TB are possible.

Thanks in advance.

Greets,
Julia

I have a couple of 5.5gens with 1Tb (rockboxed of course). 2Tb will start to hit the FAT32 limit so you probably won't get the full 2Tb and anything over that point you won't get any benefit. (Have a couple of 7th gens with 1.5Tb or so, but see no point going beyond that)

I kind of wish, given Tarkan must be making a reasonable profit from all those adaptor sales (including I guess to those guys who sell premodded ipods), that he could plough some of that into paying for some professional work to enhance Rockbox. Those adaptors are very dependent on Rockbox, which in turn is reliant on people working on it just for the love of it.

To go beyond 2Tb someone needs to rewrite Rockbox to support ExFAT rather than FAT32. Would be worthwhile Tarkan paying for that, it seems to me, because it would keep those adaptors relevant as card capacities increase.

Tarkan has a good product, but to some extent it seems to me he is getting a free-ride from unpaid Rockbox developers who I guess only do it out of pure intellectual interest. I really wish I was competent to add things to Rockbox, but when I look at the existing code my brain can't cope with it!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #10,259 of 10,664
Still annoyed as heck by the fake-card problem. Recently some third party seller on Amazon was offering 1Tb micro sd cards for £100 - half the going rate. They did look genuine, but I didn't dare risk it. Also Amazon themselves in response dropped their own price to £150. But I didn't want to go for that one 'cos it felt like throwing away £50 over what might be a mistaken anxiety about fakes. So didn't buy either, then the prices went back up again.

The presence of fakes is a huge impediment to real price-competition because any cheap card won't sell because people worry it's fake. It totally distorts the market.

And will Amazon ever do anything about the obvious fake reviews on many third-party products?

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #10,260 of 10,664
I have a couple of 5.5gens with 1Tb (rockboxed of course). 2Tb will start to hit the FAT32 limit so you probably won't get the full 2Tb and anything over that point you won't get any benefit. (Have a couple of 7th gens with 1.5Tb or so, but see no point going beyond that)

Hello ThinWalls,
do the 5.5 gens have to be/must be rockboxed, so 1TB can be used on them (or maybe even 2TB)?
I don't know how to rockbox my Ipods, have no idea. What would even happen to the Ipod, if rock-boxing the system goes wrong?

Is it possible to use micro SDXC cards being in their adapter and put it in the dual SD card adapter?

Greets,
Julia

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back