Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #10,261 of 10,664
Hello ThinWalls,
do the 5.5 gens have to be/must be rockboxed, so 1TB can be used on them (or maybe even 2TB)?
I don't know how to rockbox my Ipods, have no idea. What would even happen to the Ipod, if rock-boxing the system goes wrong?

Is it possible to use micro SDXC cards being in their adapter and put it in the dual SD card adapter?

Greets,
Julia

Well, it's better to have them Rockboxed because of the database memory limit with the original firmware, which will limit the total number of tracks you can have. I can't remember what the max number of tracks is with the OF - it depends whether it's a 30gb or 60gb model becuase they have different amounts of RAM. Pretty sure the number has been discussed at length somewhere earlier in this thread. I _think_ apart from that the OF will work, so maybe you could get away with it if you are only using FLACs.

Rockboxing it can't do any irreversible harm, you can always restore it with iTunes back to the OF.

I guess you could use micro sd cards in a dual (or solo) tarkan adaptor. But it would be introducing an extra complication with timing issues and I think you'd be better off with the quad adaptor that is intended for micro SD cards.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #10,262 of 10,664
Well, it's better to have them Rockboxed because of the database memory limit with the original firmware, which will limit the total number of tracks you can have. I can't remember what the max number of tracks is with the OF - it depends whether it's a 30gb or 60gb model becuase they have different amounts of RAM. Pretty sure the number has been discussed at length somewhere earlier in this thread. I _think_ apart from that the OF will work, so maybe you could get away with it if you are only using FLACs.

Rockboxing it can't do any irreversible harm, you can always restore it with iTunes back to the OF.

I guess you could use micro sd cards in a dual (or solo) tarkan adaptor. But it would be introducing an extra complication with timing issues and I think you'd be better off with the quad adaptor that is intended for micro SD cards.

Hey ThinWalls,

well, it's all about the 80GB 5.5 Gen Video.......
Track limit supposedly is about 50.000 tracks for the 80GB Video 5.5 Gen & 7th Gen 160GB slim. I haven't reached that yet.
My work-mate might reach that limit though. He has a lot of bad quality mp3's.
I am using either WAVE (some are converted to ALAC) and 320 mp3's.

Since I used to have dual adaptors for my 1TB Wave iPods and had added tooooo much more Wave-data, I had extended them to 2TB with quad adapter.
So I have 3 spare dual adapters, don't want to throw them away, instead I'd prefer using them for my mp3 iPod's.
I believe soon from now, I'll get above the 512GB of mp3 music, that's why I have to extend to larger SD capacity.....

Greets,
Julia

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #10,263 of 10,664
Hey ThinWalls,

well, it's all about the 80GB 5.5 Gen Video.......
Track limit supposedly is about 50.000 tracks for the 80GB Video 5.5 Gen & 7th Gen 160GB slim. I haven't reached that yet.
My work-mate might reach that limit though. He has a lot of bad quality mp3's.
I am using either WAVE (some are converted to ALAC) and 320 mp3's.

Since I used to have dual adaptors for my 1TB Wave iPods and had added tooooo much more Wave-data, I had extended them to 2TB with quad adapter.
So I have 3 spare dual adapters, don't want to throw them away, instead I'd prefer using them for my mp3 iPod's.
I believe soon from now, I'll get above the 512GB of mp3 music, that's why I have to extend to larger SD capacity.....

Greets,
Julia
In my experience, Rockbox uses up more battery power. I have a 1TB Gen 5.5 with about 900GB worth of CD quality music (16 bit, 44.1)... it works really well running the original OS. My Gen 7 with 2TB has about 1.8GB of CD quality music and a few music videos... it also works very well without Rockbox. If you want to have over 50,000 songs on your iPod, though, you need to use Rockbox.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #10,264 of 10,664
@ all,

I seem to have a problem though. My 5.5Gen 80GB iPod with DUAL Flash adapter and extendet battery + thick back causes trouble.
If ipod and ipod back are not fully tightened, the ipod runs OK, but as soon as I try to fully put top and bottom together, I will get a white screen.
I cannot tell which of the extended batteries it is, but shouldn't I be able to fully close the iPod?
I am little bit frustrated.

Bye,
Julia

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #10,265 of 10,664
@ all,

I seem to have a problem though. My 5.5Gen 80GB iPod with DUAL Flash adapter and extendet battery + thick back causes trouble.
If ipod and ipod back are not fully tightened, the ipod runs OK, but as soon as I try to fully put top and bottom together, I will get a white screen.
I cannot tell which of the extended batteries it is, but shouldn't I be able to fully close the iPod?
I am little bit frustrated.

Bye,
Julia

It's a very tight-fit with those larger batteries. The white screen suggests it's putting too much pressure on the LCD or the LCD cable (and disturbing the connection with the logic board). Can't say I've encountered that issue. What I have found is that the tight-fit reduces the travel distance of the click-wheel buttons, making them feel less tactile. Also sometimes the battery presses on the headphone jack assembly, eventually damaging it. However, that's all with thin backs/quad adaptors, though.

With a thick back you ought to be able to close the ipod fully - none of the thick back/dual adaptor ipods I have have any problem with fitting the battery. It likely depends on exactly which extended battery you have and exactly how you've fitted it. The larger 3000mah ones need to be fitted _behind_ the audio jack assembly.

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #10,269 of 10,664
Exactly... using the thick case back should be no problem, unless the battery is some new thicker version. Thin case back won't work.

Thin case back does work with the quad-adaptor (and maybe with the newer Iflash-solo - haven't used one of those though)? But it's a very tight fit. For me it does seem to affect the travel-distance of the click-buttons, making them feel less tactile. Plus sometimes with those batteries that need you to fold the power cable over they can eventually fracture completely at the fold-point under the pressure. It ought to be possible to design them so that folding that cable isn't necessary. I don't think any of the different available larger batteries are completely optimally-designed in terms of their dimensions and the position of the battery cable.

And I'd guess that they are all roughly around 1600-1700mAh in reality.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #10,273 of 10,664
What's the best battery to buy currently?

It's a MC297, 7th gen 160GB.

I'm guessing you don't have a spare? It might not be the battery so spending money on a replacement might be a waste of money. That being said, I usually get my batteries from idemigods.com. You can save a few bucks getting one off ebay or amazon, but you're more likely to get a dud.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #10,274 of 10,664
I'm guessing you don't have a spare? It might not be the battery so spending money on a replacement might be a waste of money. That being said, I usually get my batteries from idemigods.com. You can save a few bucks getting one off ebay or amazon, but you're more likely to get a dud.
I don't have any spares at all but I think it wasn't holding its charge great before so am happy to buy another. Can anyone recommend which particular model to look for it's been a while and I don't even know what will fit.

I'm in Europe so can't use idemigods.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back