Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 25, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #10,291 of 10,664
I do indeed have that cable. Thankfully I bought it years ago
My Topping NX3s is about the size of my ipod in length, width & thickness. I'm able to put both in my pocket without issue. The PA2v2 is short & thick (coincidently, its the black one in the picture above). Its less portable although I've managed to figure something out.
I don't have an amp recommendation, but I'd try to find something the same size as the ipod. It would need a 3.5mm in as well (I'm guessing that's what your cable is). FYI, I haven't seen a lot of amp discussion in this thread.

Mar 9, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #10,295 of 10,664
Hi, would anybody buy this supercharged chinese classic? Seems too good to be true, but who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod...235029?hash=item3439a24455:g:8JcAAOSwt~df~sXz

Wonder if it's based on a 30gb model or an 80gb one, i.e. how much onboard RAM it has? And presumably it's an actual SSD rather than an SD card mod? Not sure how much it would cost to build one yourself (haven't had an SSD pod for years, and also don't think in US currency!), but without working it out in detail that price seems pretty competitive (they probably get some discount for buying adaptors in bulk?). Find it oddly-depressing that people are selling complete mods in that way, after all the effort put into the learning process of making one's own.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #10,296 of 10,664
Hi, would anybody buy this supercharged chinese classic? Seems too good to be true, but who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod...235029?hash=item3439a24455:g:8JcAAOSwt~df~sXz
I wouldn't buy it, because I build my own. It's really not that hard. Also, if it stops working correctly, I can open it & fix it.
That being said, if you don't think you could do it, I'd buy one off eBay. I've had very good experiences with their customer support. I'd try to use the iPod as much as possible as soon as you get it. The earlier you know if there's a problem, the better. The listing says you have 60 days to return it. It also says you'd have to pay return shipping. However eBay will make the seller pay return shipping if the item is faulty.
I wonder if the seller uses Tarkan's adapter. I think there are cheaper, less reliable adapters available. My guess is they also use lower quality SSDs to save money. If its the 30gb model, you'll only be able to load about 20,000 tracks using iTunes. With the 80gb, you could load about 50,000. With Rockbox, you could load whatever you like.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #10,297 of 10,664
Worked out that I have nearly 40 modded ipods now, ranging from 128gb ones with generic adaptors to 1-2Tb ones with Tarkan adaptors. Which is seriously excessive. I have thought of selling them, particularly the 240gb hard-drive based ones that I started with. But I find the whole business of selling anything on ebay to be unbearably stressful, given all the things that can go innocently wrong and then all the further dangers if you get a dishonest buyer. It's a lot easier for selling simple low-value items that "just work", like one's surplus cds, but with complex high-ish value things like this there are so many possible ways the transaction could go wrong.

Also people won't buy from you until you've built a rep by selling lots, and if you sell lots you could come to the attention of the taxman who could decide you are running a business (rather than just trying to get back some of the money you've spent on an irrational obsession!).

Plus I find I don't want to part with them as they are all slightly different.

Mar 9, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #10,299 of 10,664
Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed how excessive it's gotten. Just happened one at a time. Wouldn't have ended up with so many if only the damn housings were easier to open. It's invariably easier to build a new one than to face the titanic struggle required to re-open an existing one to upgrade the capacity! And trying to catch "broken" ipods for parts on ebay auctions for as low a price as possible became kind of a game in itself.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #10,300 of 10,664
I've got 5 & use them all. I do have a collection of non-modded ones that is too large. Probably about 10. I've gotten parts from some of them. Not sure how many are intact. I only have 80gb 5.5. They open very easily. What generation do you use?

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #10,302 of 10,664
Why don't you use them? What do you use?
Android phone or tablet, with an external USB DAC (Oppo HA-2, or more recently CEntrance HiFi-M8).

My Gen. 6 Classic actually sends digital output to the HA-2's MFi compliant Type A input, however 16-bit "only".

The Android devices can send 24-bit at high PCM sample rates or even DSD using the right app. For some trips, the iPod is still the best choice, for instance a trail walk where I don't plan on taking any calls so I don't even bring the phone with me, or any trip where I'm traveling light enough as to not want to carry an external DAC.

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #10,303 of 10,664
Android phone or tablet, with an external USB DAC (Oppo HA-2, or more recently CEntrance HiFi-M8).

My Gen. 6 Classic actually sends digital output to the HA-2's MFi compliant Type A input, however 16-bit "only".

The Android devices can send 24-bit at high PCM sample rates or even DSD using the right app. For some trips, the iPod is still the best choice, for instance a trail walk where I don't plan on taking any calls so I don't even bring the phone with me, or any trip where I'm traveling light enough as to not want to carry an external DAC.
Its been years since I looked at alternatives. My biggest priorities are portability, capacity & battery life. I was curious if you found something better. For me, the iPod's sound quality is more than adequate.
So you mostly stream when using android devices?

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #10,304 of 10,664
Its been years since I looked at alternatives. My biggest priorities are portability, capacity & battery life. I was curious if you found something better. For me, the iPod's sound quality is more than adequate.
So you mostly stream when using android devices?
Both Qobuz streaming and local playback from a 512GB microSD card, which is really the main lure, you can use as large as 1GB microSD cards in some Android devices and you don't have to rip anything open to modify it, just load the card, let the phone/tablet format it, then take it out again and load music onto it with a computer. Once put back in the phone/tablet, various apps can index that music and play it back bit perfect, even hi-rez.

Sorry for the off-topic though, that isn't really iPod specific stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #10,305 of 10,664
Both Qobuz streaming and local playback from a 512GB microSD card, which is really the main lure, you can use as large as 1GB microSD cards in some Android devices and you don't have to rip anything open to modify it, just load the card, let the phone/tablet format it, then take it out again and load music onto it with a computer. Once put back in the phone/tablet, various apps can index that music and play it back bit perfect, even hi-rez.

Sorry for the off-topic though, that isn't really iPod specific stuff.
My apologies for the off-topic question. But thank you for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back