Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #10,321 of 10,664
I have an iPod v5/5.5 and the battery has stuck on 'please wait as the battery is very low. Its been stuck on this screen for many hours without shifting. Is there a way to force the battery into life? Any help appreciated.

Is it possible that the battery itself is old and needs to be changed? I guess there is only a way to force the battery out of life... by deconnecting...

ps: I'm new in this iPod-business... happy to learn as well!

Apr 5, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #10,322 of 10,664
Couple of things to try before you open the case and replace...

1. Try a new charging lead (cheapest option)
2. Are you using a genuine apple charger for the right voltage?
3. Check its not just frozen on a certain screen by forcing a restart. (Hold menu and select for 5 seconds).
4. If it still won't charge you probably need to replace the battery (Should cost less than a tenner). The 5th gen ipods are easier to open than any other model. Use a proper opening knife and be very careful when disconnecting the battery ribbon not to pull the connector away from the main board.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #10,323 of 10,664
Thanks Glendo90. I've carried out your recommendations set out. Still no luck so I used a thin plastic school ruler to prise off the cover successfully with no damage. Unplugged the battery ribbon cable and removed the battery. Plugged it back in and connected the charger and no luck. Still the same message 'please wait. Battery very low'. So.... Out comes the Battery and I've ordered a replacement being delivered on Wednesday. Fab!

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #10,324 of 10,664
Thanks Glendo90. I've carried out your recommendations set out. Still no luck so I used a thin plastic school ruler to prise off the cover successfully with no damage. Unplugged the battery ribbon cable and removed the battery. Plugged it back in and connected the charger and no luck. Still the same message 'please wait. Battery very low'. So.... Out comes the Battery and I've ordered a replacement being delivered on Wednesday. Fab!
Sounds like you have things in hand. You'll be doing all sorts of modding in no time...

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #10,325 of 10,664
I have an iPod v5/5.5 and the battery has stuck on 'please wait as the battery is very low. Its been stuck on this screen for many hours without shifting. Is there a way to force the battery into life? Any help appreciated.

The obvious implication is the battery has failed and needs to be replaced. Though in past struggles with getting flash-modded ipods to work, I've seen that issue come up when it wasn't actually the battery that was the problem. Some ipods would alternate between asking to be restored, failing to boot, and giving that message even though the battery was actually OK.
Apart from openning it up and replacing the battery, the only other thing you could try is connecting it to a firewire charger (rather than just a usb one).

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #10,326 of 10,664
New battery fitted. All went smoothly and iPod iMod is now fully operational. All info and music safe and battery charges with no problem. May soon look into fitting an SSD drive. Has anyone done this? If so, please advise of an appropriate SSD at the highest capacity compatible. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20210409_211217.jpg
    20210409_211217.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #10,327 of 10,664
New battery fitted. All went smoothly and iPod iMod is now fully operational. All info and music safe and battery charges with no problem. May soon look into fitting an SSD drive. Has anyone done this? If so, please advise of an appropriate SSD at the highest capacity compatible. Cheers!

I'd go with the sd/micro sd card adaptor route, myself, rather than SSD. Lot less temperamental and fiddly. I pity whoever it was who stole my SSD ipod!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #10,328 of 10,664
Now there's an idea... an SD/Micro SD Card Adaptor. Brilliant! Never thought of that! Any soldering involved? Otherwise the internals of my IPod will end up looking like a sheet of aluminium! I'm useless at soldering!

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #10,329 of 10,664
Ah... Found it.. Replacement SD and Micro SD Card replacement adaptors. Basically plug and play. Excellent!
Thanks ThinWalls 👍

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #10,332 of 10,664
Hi, for ipod classic 160 gb 6th or 7th if I want to use a thick lid for a larger battery, can I keep the headphone jack connector and the lock button or does it not fit into the thick lid?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #10,335 of 10,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back