Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #9,886 of 10,664
is there a way to determine the database size? that certainly could be the case with me, every individual song is tagged with album art and a decent amount of them do have lyrics associated.

i actually ended up "downgrading" to only 400gb because i couldn't fill all the space.

i may buy another one and do the same thing and just keep them genre specific.

It has less to do with total song # and more to do with database size. So if you've got album art and song lyrics and all sorts of stuff built into the id3 tags, the database will fill up quicker and you'll get a lower # of songs before the crash. I've got one that runs great sitting around 34k songs currently. I sync songs/playlists with Winamp tho, not itunes.

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #9,887 of 10,664
I think so.
open explorer and go to your ipod.
Check out iPod_Control\iTunes\. Theres a file called iTunesDB. I compared two of my ipods, The one with 33499 tracks, the file is 50.5MB. The one with 14405 songs, the file is only 23.4MB. So im pretty sure thats the DB file. And knowing that the larger ipods only have 64MB of RAM, id suspect once this file hits 64MB, is when the ipod will crash. Cant confirm as the large one houses my entire music library,

I actually have like 5 ipods (mainly cuz i like to tinker) but that second one i use exclusively at work, since i dont need my full library there, and its only ~100GB currently so its a stock ipod built out of spare parts. Wont hurt too much when it inevitably gets broken or lost, and its more than enough tunes for work.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #9,888 of 10,664
Check out what i got in the mail today!
KIMG1299.jpg

KIMG1300.jpg
:sunglasses:

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #9,889 of 10,664
Hi guys, I recently done the diymod with the kit sold by tarkan. I also installed an iflash quad with 2x 200gb sandisk micro sd.
The sound is much clear now, but I have a lot of problems with the music.. after copying the music on the device it sound a lot distorded.
If I listen directly from the ipod or from my computer, directly in vlc, it is the same, sometime is faster, sometimes it skips pieces altogheter, missing word or jumping around.
It's just a matter of luck if the album is copied right to the device..

May I have damaged something while doing the mod? Or those kind of problems are more related to the adapter? I tried with 3x 32gb sandisk card and it's just the same..
The ipod is rockboxed. I also asked the same question in the diymod thread. Thanks..

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #9,890 of 10,664
Hi guys, I recently done the diymod with the kit sold by tarkan. I also installed an iflash quad with 2x 200gb sandisk micro sd.
The sound is much clear now, but I have a lot of problems with the music.. after copying the music on the device it sound a lot distorded.
If I listen directly from the ipod or from my computer, directly in vlc, it is the same, sometime is faster, sometimes it skips pieces altogheter, missing word or jumping around.
It's just a matter of luck if the album is copied right to the device..

May I have damaged something while doing the mod? Or those kind of problems are more related to the adapter? I tried with 3x 32gb sandisk card and it's just the same..
The ipod is rockboxed. I also asked the same question in the diymod thread. Thanks..

Did you sync the tracks in RB mode or OF mode? What you describe is usually a result of syncing using RB mode.

Umpteen threads on RB forums about it, e.g.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,51460.0.html

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,52505.0.html

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,50671.0.html

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,52554.0.html

etc...

If you did use OF mode, then I've no idea, it's some other problem I haven't encountered.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #9,891 of 10,664
Hello, I have been reading this thread a lot, but one thing remains unclear: I have a 120Gb 6.5th gen iPod Classic and want to install a 256GB ZIF SSD. I only want to use Rockbox. Can I exceed the 128GB file limit or does Apple Disk Mode also refuse to transfer more than 128GB?

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #9,892 of 10,664
If you want to dual boot, then you are limited to 128GB. But if you install RB as a standalone OS, then you can have unlimited file space.

I know people have reported having problems when running RB exclusively, but I've have pretty good luck (on a 6.5 gen running RB exclusively) for several years now. Every once in a while I find a corrupted file but I just delete it in RB and then re-upload and it's fine.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #9,893 of 10,664
If you want to dual boot, then you are limited to 128GB. But if you install RB as a standalone OS, then you can have unlimited file space.

I know people have reported having problems when running RB exclusively, but I've have pretty good luck (on a 6.5 gen running RB exclusively) for several years now. Every once in a while I find a corrupted file but I just delete it in RB and then re-upload and it's fine.

Does using Apple Disk Mode alredy mean dual boot?

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #9,897 of 10,664
That hasn't been my experience with the 5.5. When I boot into OF & load files in disk mode, I can put as many tracks as I want. I can't play them with OF however. I boot back into rockbox and can listen to them.
Like many others, I had many corrupted tracks when I used rockbox to transfer files.
Can anyone else with a 6.5 report how they load files?

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #9,898 of 10,664
Clear face plate came i the mail saturday.
Specifically, i ordered this one

eBay special on right, Rapid Repair iVue on left. No doubt its the same piece, for half the price.

I might have a source for clear click wheels too. Im looking into it currently, but figure itll take a while to get one.

Would you know if there are any sources available for a clear click wheel and a clear face plate for the iPod classic 6th generation 80GB ?

Mar 31, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #9,899 of 10,664
Would you know if there are any sources available for a clear click wheel and a clear face plate for the iPod classic 6th generation 80GB ?
That is the classic face plate. Its hard to see the bevel on the edge in the clear, but its there. Back around Mar 22, I posted pics of clear Classic click wheels that i found on Alibaba. The vendor told me they also had clear Video click wheels, altho i dont usually mess with the videos.

That hasn't been my experience with the 5.5. When I boot into OF & load files in disk mode, I can put as many tracks as I want. I can't play them with OF however. I boot back into rockbox and can listen to them.
Like many others, I had many corrupted tracks when I used rockbox to transfer files.
Can anyone else with a 6.5 report how they load files?

I only have one Video, a 5.5 and its not RB'ed. Actually, its in pieces currently. Never tried dual-booting it. Its my understanding that in order to use the OF, you have to load the songs in the OF, or else the database that logs the tracks wont know theyre on there.

I have a bunch of Classics, its all i usually mess with as I prefer the increased transfer speed & improved battery life. I have one 6.5 gen, with a quad micro SD adapter and a single 400GB card. RB running single-boot, so i load all my files while in RB. I use it every day, and rarely have a problem with it, altho once in a while i find a corrupted song, which i just delete and copy again. Im guessing im one of the only people out there who actually uses a RB'ed Classic every day. When i first loaded all my music to it, i transferred ~1500-2000 songs at a time, any more than that and i would have problems with file corruption. Took a while to fully load it, but its been pretty reliable.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #9,900 of 10,664
Grrr.

This is the time of year when I find the flaw in using the rockbox simulator to build the rockbox database. It's the same problem that crops up with Robocopy and other file copying utilities. The stupid way file systems work is to blame, I think (though I can't work out whether to blame the creators of FAT or of NTFS or both. but someone made a stupid decision somewhere along the line!). Whenever the clocks go back or forward programs like the RB simulator, like robocopy, get confused due to the nature of FAT vs NTFS and decide all files have changed time stamp by an hour, so insist on recreating everything entirely (in this case it means rebuilding the entire database unecessarily).

As if I didn't already think the business of messing about with the clocks twice a year was a completely unnecessary PITA. I don't care if Scottish farmers have to work in the dark! Leave the clocks alone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back