Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #9,856 of 10,664
Damn that's a nightmare to me, iFixit battery (30GB, puny one which fits the thin caseback) at-least works properly, around 23hrs of total playback. If I open the frame again, bam another one will be dead and I have to resort to the original frame, it's 3 clips are broken and one small scratch on the panel..that's sad.

I wish Tarkan make one battery and get it over with, rather than this stupid ebay lottery game. Alex's battery was famed a lot and he's not offering it anymore sadly.

Maybe when you get the new one, give that a shot with the Apple Diag tests .. Only the battery is the weakest point for the iPod, iFlash works great. And my i9000 has Polarcell battery from Germany it works flawlessly. Damn 1 month standby time. And charges all the way up.
I ordered this one from amazon to hold me until the bigger one gets here its stated as 1300mAh i dont know if i should believe it but it is thicker you need a thick back for it but i have to say it does seem to be a lot better than the smaller ones and rockbox has me at 85% and 46 hours remaining so not too bad if true. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A4Q8JM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #9,858 of 10,664
Battery Diag. Test if you know what they mean i would appreciate it .
Battery=442 (3988mv)
unfortunately I don't have much idea of those battery numbers. However..

I found this, looks like the battery voltage changes and Li-Ion typically has charge voltage max. 4.35V, whereas 4.2V is the norm for 3.7V Li-Ion. It's global I think, since you see it on almost all batteries esp in phone teardowns, unless specified otherwise. Plus on the Tarkan site you see him mentioning the battery capacities of them are just based off the size of the pack as mentioned (this was known to me but I didn't pay much attention and forgot) here at Rockbox forums too. So add this to the equation as well (Some info on the iPod board and mSATA etc, all flew over head perhaps re-reading might help). Ultimately we do not know what's the real capacity of these or how the iPod can drink the juice from it, Also how the USB power cable supplies to it.

Next thing one is sure, do not, ever take any Lithium ion battery to it's lowest levels at Zero or Store it at low 30-40%s for long time or the low temps. Because 100-0% (Depth of Discharge) will cause Li-Ion degeneration / wear level. As it's a chemical process (irreversible unless you replace the cells), the power as it flows from one end, cathode(+) to anode(-) causes a deposition of the chemical material causing degradation of the voltage / capacity. Also higher power supply will naturally combust it also fry our motherboard so Apple design of this little machine and it's power delivery circuit is so robust as it handles these unspecified batteries, to quote from the above rockbox post having this archived page the 500mA (milli amps, which is < than 1A mentioned capacity, a good thing). Next is rapidly higher voltage (more capacity) also is a part of the issue that all mobile phones are facing (Faster charge faster wear esp due to temperature, in this regard Samsung over capacitizes it's battery and limit cycles, and LG does Qnovo charging which control these temps and etc)

Damn so many variables - Firmware, Battery voltage, Build quality, Temperature, Boards etc.

Ultimately that value is nothing but the charge voltage, you mentioned at 3.8v - to mine at 4.2v I guess. Rest still to decipher..

Since we are into batteries, the damn WM1Z is sealed to hell, any DAP on the planet and HiFi phones like LG and others, so they are on a ticking lifetime for EOL Unless you can give them a new life like removable batteries like Polarcell for a few phones and this iPod. Worse of these are from Chord Audio, they have a circuit built into their hardware such a way that you cannot DIY it and pay them $$$, the reason I'm never going to buy any of those planned obsolescence HW. Desktop DAC/AMP or bust !! Or even a Tesla, mechanical cars/watches also wear and tear but will keep on going once appropriate service is done.

Luckily my socketed (non soldered CPU/GPU Alienware, Haswell era) Laptop has desktop mode, and a few Dell machines as well which tap the power from the AC-DC line and dynamically switch to battery when PSU stops supplying (However the idle drain happens and have to recharge) and btw all BGA laptops on this planet have power drain issue, hint -> NOS - MSI systems Notebookreview

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #9,859 of 10,664
I think I posted a link to the extended battery, same one from this

That's what I was gonna order, but then saw the 3000 mah one from ebay. Reading one has trouble and one is working. Its a 50/50 if I'm gonna get one now seems like.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #9,861 of 10,664
Ive used i think 4 different Tarkan boards in Classics (all 6th & 6.5) and never really had any problems with them. All running RB.

I still have two of those wrapped up ununsed. one video one classic. Ended up not using them for fear of them getting all scratched up and ruined. Theyre not cheap!

....Then i found them on ebay for cheap

Clear Front Housing Case Cover for iPod Video

Theres a few different sellers selling them now, including the clear classic face plate too.

I ordered one, just to compare to rapid repair's piece, see if it really is the same exact item. But it wont be here for a while yet.

Clear face plate came i the mail saturday.
Specifically, i ordered this one

eBay special on right, Rapid Repair iVue on left. No doubt its the same piece, for half the price.

KIMG1040.jpg KIMG1041.jpg

I might have a source for clear click wheels too. Im looking into it currently, but figure itll take a while to get one.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #9,868 of 10,664
Sorry no picture available.
On mine the latch broke , then I just inserted the battery cable and used the gaffa tape to hold it in place.
But maybe you have a different issue and the whole connector is broken.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back