Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 22, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #9,871 of 10,664
I have a problem with my iPod Gen7 MC293. I have all the components from Zif to SATA and one 256gb SSD (FAT32 with MBR).
I plugged all the parts in.
The SSD's light confirms that it connected.
The iPod recognize the SSD in the Diagnostic Mode.

And, the red circle appears and my PCs can't recognize it. Is there anything that missing, I have tried many things and none of them work.

:frowning2:

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #9,872 of 10,664
I have a problem with my iPod Gen7 MC293. I have all the components from Zif to SATA and one 256gb SSD (FAT32 with MBR).
I plugged all the parts in.
The SSD's light confirms that it connected.
The iPod recognize the SSD in the Diagnostic Mode.

And, the red circle appears and my PCs can't recognize it. Is there anything that missing, I have tried many things and none of them work.

:frowning2:
Are you using Tarkan's ?

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #9,877 of 10,664
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #9,878 of 10,664
Mar 4, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #9,879 of 10,664
I just got a "new" ipod classic 5.5th gen 80gb from a seller on ebay (duke.vitro). I would like to upgrade the storage to the highest capacity possible (within economic reason).

If I use an iFlash-Quad and put 4 400Gb A1 MicroSD UHS-I (U1) Sandisk Ultra cards into it (they are on iFlash's list of cards which have been reported to work with the Quad) will I have 1.6TB of usable space on my ipod 5.5th gen 80gb?

Will I need to change any other parts of the ipod or can I just open it up, install the iFlash-Quad and 4 cards, restore in itunes and have a 1.6TB ipod?

I know that much of this knowledge is buried within the over 600 pages of this thread but after a couple of hours searching I figured why not just ask..

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #9,880 of 10,664
I just got a "new" ipod classic 5.5th gen 80gb from a seller on ebay (duke.vitro). I would like to upgrade the storage to the highest capacity possible (within economic reason).

If I use an iFlash-Quad and put 4 400Gb A1 MicroSD UHS-I (U1) Sandisk Ultra cards into it (they are on iFlash's list of cards which have been reported to work with the Quad) will I have 1.6TB of usable space on my ipod 5.5th gen 80gb?

Will I need to change any other parts of the ipod or can I just open it up, install the iFlash-Quad and 4 cards, restore in itunes and have a 1.6TB ipod?

I know that much of this knowledge is buried within the over 600 pages of this thread but after a couple of hours searching I figured why not just ask..

I think after restoring thru itunes you need to rockbox it at least till a certain amount of songs on the ipod firmware. Not sure of the exact number but for example the ipod firmware only reads lets say 10,000 songs and you have a ton of storage left on the cards that isnt going to get read by the firmware, rockbox doesn't have a limit.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #9,881 of 10,664

If this is your first iPod mod then I'd keep it simple - just restore in iTunes. Experiment a bit. If you run into problems with storing 10,000s of songs then consider Rockbox.

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #9,882 of 10,664

On the iFlash frontpage there is no warning for the 128GB limit for iTunes for the 5.5g iPod, so you'll have all the space available.

For installation check the guide on the product page.

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #9,883 of 10,664
Yeah the stock software will work just fine on the 5.5 gen regardless of HD capacity . Just keep in mind that it tends to falter somewhere around 50k songs (regardless of iPod version) so if your library is larger than that then RockBox is recommended.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #9,884 of 10,664
i did this,. simply restore through itunes and you're done. the restore will be stupid slow. the limit of 10000 songs people list below is not true. i've hit a limit of around 36-38,000 songs (below the claimed 50,000), but i think that's due to me syncing per genres. i used to sync per smart list and it would crash in under 20,000 songs and found a very old thread somewhere on apple saying that was the cause.

it takes about 2 days to load that much music on, next time i'm motivated to waste that much time i may remove the genres completely and just load per artist and see if i can cross the 36,000 limit.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #9,885 of 10,664
It has less to do with total song # and more to do with database size. So if you've got album art and song lyrics and all sorts of stuff built into the id3 tags, the database will fill up quicker and you'll get a lower # of songs before the crash. I've got one that runs great sitting around 34k songs currently. I sync songs/playlists with Winamp tho, not itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back