Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 22, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #9,828 of 10,664
Did you try chkdsk /f ?
Did you delete the rockbox folder and reinstall it?
If yes, I think you will have to start from scratch.

I had issues, too.
But since I use the rockbox simulator to write both, database and playlists, it works very stable.
I turned off directory cache, because I think it does write to sd cards.
I do not write or delete any files/ playlists in rockbox...

Amazing! Thank you so much! After two weeks on the road with no music, I'm finally back up and running again :)

I tried CHKDSK several times before but got "Cannot read boot sector" after a long time. Then tried with Mac Disk Utility but still the same issue.

I just connected the iPod, deleted the rockbox directory and did another checkdisk on Mac and it completed correctly. Then installed Rockbox again and all my files are back :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #9,829 of 10,664
Hi,

Please excuse the wall of text, but it’s important to clarify the nightmare I’ve been going through for years. Because, yes, I’ve been having this problem since years ago.

It turns out that the playback of some songs on my iPod stops near the end (the timestamp is relative, sometimes it happens closer to the middle of the song, sometimes just 10 seconds before the end, etc.) It’s like the playback got stuck or frozen at certain timestamp, and after a few seconds where nothing happens, it jumps to the next track.

I used to have this problem on iTunes too. I think it was a bug that was introduced in certain version but now it’s solved. This bug would make that all new mp3 files added to the library would experience the problem mentioned before. The funny thing is that this only happened with mp3 files. If I added songs in mp4 (AAC), those would play normally. In fact, if I converted the mp3 songs that were getting cut at the end, to AAC in iTunes, then those would play normally too.

This problem was extended to my iPod Video (5.5G, with the 30 GB hard drive replaced for a 128 GB flash card - Tarkan's mod), which was synced to the same library. Therefore the same songs that showed this problem in iTunes were behaving equally on my iPod.

What was actually happening behind iTunes remains a mystery (at least to me) until this day. Some threads showed up on Apple Support Communities, and from what I remember there were some people theorizing about something related to the metadata that iTunes collects, creating wrong attributes for the recently added mp3 files (something regarding gapless playback). It’s something that I think it kind of makes sense, specially considering that the same problem appeared on my iPod, to which iTunes transfers not only the actual songs, but also all the metadata from those and the iTunes library file.

Today the problem is solved, at least on iTunes. However, it still remains on my iPod, despite the fact that the same songs that get cut on my portable device play flawlessly on iTunes. It’s the same old story: songs freeze or stop playing near the end, they get stuck for a few seconds, then jump to the next track. But, then again, if I convert those songs in iTunes to AAC, they will be ok on my iPod.

The only thing I can do at this point as a workaround is, every time I add new albums or discographies in mp3 to iTunes, converting them to AAC, which means not only a loss of fidelity but also of time.

This is everything I’ve done until this moment:
  • Update iTunes to the last version
  • Update the iPod firmware to the latest version
  • Restore the iPod firmware
  • Extract the memory card from the iPod, insert it in a memory reader and format it with Disk Utility
  • Rebuild the iTunes library (https://www.kirkville.com/how-to-rebuild-your-itunes-library/), which even meant losing some metadata like album covers and having to get them again
Despite the fact that some people have recommended me to follow certain steps focused on hardware (check some stuff in the firmware, format the memory card, etc.), I’m totally convinced this must be a software problem, specifically on iTunes. I mean, isn’t telling enough that this problem is exactly the same that I was having a few years ago on iTunes? My theory is that perhaps they solved the bug on iTunes but only partially, so maybe iTunes now handles that gapless metadata fine in the same app, but it’s still getting wrong data from the mp3 files and sending that over to the iPod Classic.

Please somebody throw me a bone. I know most people here hate iTunes and use Rockbox instead, but I’m reluctant to abandon the beauty and simplicity of the stock firmware, as the convenience of synchronization between my Mac library and my iPod. Is anybody else here who uses iTunes having this problem with mp3 files? Or used to experience something like this some time ago on their iTunes library?

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #9,830 of 10,664
Hi,

Please excuse the wall of text, but it’s important to clarify the nightmare I’ve been going through for years. Because, yes, I’ve been having this problem since years ago.

It turns out that the playback of some songs on my iPod stops near the end (the timestamp is relative, sometimes it happens closer to the middle of the song, sometimes just 10 seconds before the end, etc.) It’s like the playback got stuck or frozen at certain timestamp, and after a few seconds where nothing happens, it jumps to the next track.

I used to have this problem on iTunes too. I think it was a bug that was introduced in certain version but now it’s solved. This bug would make that all new mp3 files added to the library would experience the problem mentioned before. The funny thing is that this only happened with mp3 files. If I added songs in mp4 (AAC), those would play normally. In fact, if I converted the mp3 songs that were getting cut at the end, to AAC in iTunes, then those would play normally too.

This problem was extended to my iPod Video (5.5G, with the 30 GB hard drive replaced for a 128 GB flash card - Tarkan's mod), which was synced to the same library. Therefore the same songs that showed this problem in iTunes were behaving equally on my iPod.

What was actually happening behind iTunes remains a mystery (at least to me) until this day. Some threads showed up on Apple Support Communities, and from what I remember there were some people theorizing about something related to the metadata that iTunes collects, creating wrong attributes for the recently added mp3 files (something regarding gapless playback). It’s something that I think it kind of makes sense, specially considering that the same problem appeared on my iPod, to which iTunes transfers not only the actual songs, but also all the metadata from those and the iTunes library file.

Today the problem is solved, at least on iTunes. However, it still remains on my iPod, despite the fact that the same songs that get cut on my portable device play flawlessly on iTunes. It’s the same old story: songs freeze or stop playing near the end, they get stuck for a few seconds, then jump to the next track. But, then again, if I convert those songs in iTunes to AAC, they will be ok on my iPod.

The only thing I can do at this point as a workaround is, every time I add new albums or discographies in mp3 to iTunes, converting them to AAC, which means not only a loss of fidelity but also of time.

This is everything I’ve done until this moment:
  • Update iTunes to the last version
  • Update the iPod firmware to the latest version
  • Restore the iPod firmware
  • Extract the memory card from the iPod, insert it in a memory reader and format it with Disk Utility
  • Rebuild the iTunes library (https://www.kirkville.com/how-to-rebuild-your-itunes-library/), which even meant losing some metadata like album covers and having to get them again
Despite the fact that some people have recommended me to follow certain steps focused on hardware (check some stuff in the firmware, format the memory card, etc.), I’m totally convinced this must be a software problem, specifically on iTunes. I mean, isn’t telling enough that this problem is exactly the same that I was having a few years ago on iTunes? My theory is that perhaps they solved the bug on iTunes but only partially, so maybe iTunes now handles that gapless metadata fine in the same app, but it’s still getting wrong data from the mp3 files and sending that over to the iPod Classic.

Please somebody throw me a bone. I know most people here hate iTunes and use Rockbox instead, but I’m reluctant to abandon the beauty and simplicity of the stock firmware, as the convenience of synchronization between my Mac library and my iPod. Is anybody else here who uses iTunes having this problem with mp3 files? Or used to experience something like this some time ago on their iTunes library?

How many tracks do you have on it?
My 5.5 80gb (converted to iflash dual) with OF would do similar things when I had 45,000 tracks on it. I cut the total tracks to 30,000 and the problem went away. The 30gb version's track limit is 10,000 to 30,000 according to Tarkan.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #9,831 of 10,664
Anyone ever purchased a black back case for the iPod video? How is it compared to the silver back?

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #9,832 of 10,664
I am sorry to hear, but you should have used rockbox.
I have 170000 songs on my iPod, no problem

What is the benefit of rockbox sq wise compared to stock os?

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #9,834 of 10,664
How many tracks do you have on it?
My 5.5 80gb (converted to iflash dual) with OF would do similar things when I had 45,000 tracks on it. I cut the total tracks to 30,000 and the problem went away. The 30gb version's track limit is 10,000 to 30,000 according to Tarkan.

I have over 10,000. Around 10,600 if I'm not mistaken. However, I seriously doubt that has something to do with the problem. If that was the case, why converting mp3 to aac solves it? (consider that that means keeping the amount of tracks on the library exactly the same)

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #9,835 of 10,664
Ok guys so I have a REALLY BIG problem.... I have an iPod Classic (5.5). I recently had a battery problem (very low battery please wait) the I discovered the battery had a broken flat cable, so I bought a new one. I have iFlash mod (the quad version). So the new battery arrives, put in, put the iFlash, suddenly "Apple support" screen error, after a few seconds the iPod will reboot on "very low battery" screen. I press the center button, Apple logo shows up and after 2 seconds, again the "Apple support" screen. What can I do? I'm going crazy on this.... thanks

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #9,836 of 10,664
Ok guys so I have a REALLY BIG problem.... I have an iPod Classic (5.5). I recently had a battery problem (very low battery please wait) the I discovered the battery had a broken flat cable, so I bought a new one. I have iFlash mod (the quad version). So the new battery arrives, put in, put the iFlash, suddenly "Apple support" screen error, after a few seconds the iPod will reboot on "very low battery" screen. I press the center button, Apple logo shows up and after 2 seconds, again the "Apple support" screen. What can I do? I'm going crazy on this.... thanks
I wish i could help i recently got a large capacity chinese battery and everything was well but it would never finish charging even overnight so i decided to leave the ipod on all day and night to let the juice run out. Well when i go to charge it now it stays on "very low battery please wait" ive tried everything putting it on disk mode, restoring, charging overnight nothing works. So the battery refuses to charge no matter what i do . Now the problem that you state may be that your iflash may not be seated properly one way to test is to hook everything up without the battery plug it in and see what comes up on the screen, if all goes well connect your battery and plug it in again to see what comes up with everything hooked up. If you have an older ipod hdd lying around test it with that as well to see what gives, its trail and error.

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #9,837 of 10,664
I wish i could help i recently got a large capacity chinese battery and everything was well but it would never finish charging even overnight so i decided to leave the ipod on all day and night to let the juice run out. Well when i go to charge it now it stays on "very low battery please wait" ive tried everything putting it on disk mode, restoring, charging overnight nothing works. So the battery refuses to charge no matter what i do . Now the problem that you state may be that your iflash may not be seated properly one way to test is to hook everything up without the battery plug it in and see what comes up on the screen, if all goes well connect your battery and plug it in again to see what comes up with everything hooked up. If you have an older ipod hdd lying around test it with that as well to see what gives, its trail and error.
Thanks for the answer. Mine doesn't even go to disk mode. Only shows apple support screen. Yeah I think there's something going on with the iflash not sitting properly. And yeah I tested with the older HDD, same problem. So could propably be the ribbon cable? By looking at it I don't think it's broken or so, seems to be perfect, but I don't know what the problem could be..
EDIT: The HDD make a weird noise while booting, then it shows apple support screen..

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #9,838 of 10,664
Thanks for the answer. Mine doesn't even go to disk mode. Only shows apple support screen. Yeah I think there's something going on with the iflash not sitting properly. And yeah I tested with the older HDD, same problem. So could propably be the ribbon cable? By looking at it I don't think it's broken or so, seems to be perfect, but I don't know what the problem could be..
EDIT: The HDD make a weird noise while booting, then it shows apple support screen..
The ribbon cables are cheap enough so can’t hurt. Also take the ribbon cable off and reseat it properly from the logic board.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #9,839 of 10,664
The ribbon cables are cheap enough so can’t hurt. Also take the ribbon cable off and reseat it properly from the logic board.

So I have to buy a new ribbon cable? Anyway, I did what you said, removed and reseat, nothing changed. If I keep the USB cable plugged into the wall or pc, the iPod keeps rebooting, shows Apple support screen and reboot again, over and over..

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #9,840 of 10,664
So I have to buy a new ribbon cable? Anyway, I did what you said, removed and reseat, nothing changed. If I keep the USB cable plugged into the wall or pc, the iPod keeps rebooting, shows Apple support screen and reboot again, over and over..
That’s what happened kind of with my battery if you have a third battery somewhere you can try and see if it’s that sometimes the aftermarket batteries are a gamble but that’s all we got. Unless the logic board is done with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back