Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #9,796 of 10,664
What brand 5th gen ipod video battery do i get ? Recently got one from ebay (white label with blue strip) advertised as 650mah but is 450mah and im getting 6hrs of battery life with 320kbps mp3s without album art.

Also was looking at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Onj...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.263.6c9a3c00DAKKWS

I also have a iFlash solo for when i decide to swap a 64gb sd card in. I don't like the current battery life so not sure how much i should be getting with either 30gb hdd or a iFlash.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #9,797 of 10,664
What brand 5th gen ipod video battery do i get ? Recently got one from ebay (white label with blue strip) advertised as 650mah but is 450mah and im getting 6hrs of battery life with 320kbps mp3s without album art.

Also was looking at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Onj...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.263.6c9a3c00DAKKWS

I also have a iFlash solo for when i decide to swap a 64gb sd card in. I don't like the current battery life so not sure how much i should be getting with either 30gb hdd or a iFlash.
You should definitely get better battery life with the iflash i got a "580 Mah" one which i doubt it is but i get a solid 8 hours and its still half full. Ill be installing a 3000mah battery on a 5.5 soon so ill see how long that one lasts. Looking at the one i got its the same colors as you state with the blue strip but it says 580mah.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #9,798 of 10,664
Swapped in my iFlash and 64gb Sd card this morning. Had a single album on repeat (320kbps) and started playing it at 8:16am, stuck it on the charger at 3:54pm (battery was showing red, not skinny red). So calculating the time and its around 7hr 38min of playback. So $36 for the iFlash plus $8.95 for the battery to gain 2 more hours ? something isnt right.

Its an improvement but not $40 worth an improvement. Guess i can flip it for $60-$80 on craigslist.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #9,799 of 10,664
Swapped in my iFlash and 64gb Sd card this morning. Had a single album on repeat (320kbps) and started playing it at 8:16am, stuck it on the charger at 3:54pm (battery was showing red, not skinny red). So calculating the time and its around 7hr 38min of playback. So $36 for the iFlash plus $8.95 for the battery to gain 2 more hours ? something isnt right.

Its an improvement but not $40 worth an improvement. Guess i can flip it for $60-$80 on craigslist.

I always reckon if you get 12 hours continuous play from a battery running a stock HDD then you've got a good battery. So, looks like you've got a bad one. I bought a batch of batteries once and found two or 3 definitely poor quality despite the same branding.

I haven't found the switch to SDXC cards to be a revelation either when it comes to battery life. Tarkan did a comparison of SDXC cards and their power consumption - there was a marked difference between models. Maybe we're just using the "wrong" SDXC cards?

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #9,800 of 10,664
I always reckon if you get 12 hours continuous play from a battery running a stock HDD then you've got a good battery. So, looks like you've got a bad one. I bought a batch of batteries once and found two or 3 definitely poor quality despite the same branding.

I haven't found the switch to SDXC cards to be a revelation either when it comes to battery life. Tarkan did a comparison of SDXC cards and their power consumption - there was a marked difference between models. Maybe we're just using the "wrong" SDXC cards?

Something i did notice about the battery is its shaped normally until the left side, like its warped. Not wavey, but looks like a hump. Its in the ipod without fitting issues but maybe it losts its mah size with the defect? I've been reading posts about extended batteries and found the combo above, and not really sure what to buy. Its either 1950mah or 3000mah, reading about people getting 100 hrs which sounds crazy. The card i'm using is a samsung evo select (white/green).

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #9,801 of 10,664
Something i did notice about the battery is its shaped normally until the left side, like its warped. Not wavey, but looks like a hump. Its in the ipod without fitting issues but maybe it losts its mah size with the defect? I've been reading posts about extended batteries and found the combo above, and not really sure what to buy. Its either 1950mah or 3000mah, reading about people getting 100 hrs which sounds crazy. The card i'm using is a samsung evo select (white/green).

I've got a 5th gen (originally 80gb) with one of those large capacity batteries and a Quad iFlash. I'm gonna charge it to the max and let it run til it dies. Will let you know in a couple of days. Or maybe sooner....

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #9,802 of 10,664
First time poster. This thread helped me a lot in the search of a portable music solution. I've ordered the iflash quad card and a 1900 battery, can't wait to see if it fits in my thin 120gb classic!

Does anyone know or can elaborate on whether there's any noticable difference in using a single 128gb card vs multiple smaller ones?

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #9,804 of 10,664
Jan 19, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #9,805 of 10,664
Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?

This is my long running problem with iPod Classics and SDXC cards. Doesn't matter what iPod, adapter or SDXC card I use, I get these disk errors in Windows Event Viewer. Not always but often. It happens after leaving an iPod to play for a few hours. When I connect to a PC, iTunes believes the iPod is corrupt and Windows tells me the drive needs to be formatted. I disconnect and the iPod reboots by itself (which is unusual). Reconnect and everything fine again. The iPod plays fine prior to connecting to a PC.

I recently replaced my PC and moved from Win 7 to 10, so it's not that. SD cards are always checked with H2testw. I have several USB cables - don't think it's them.

I never get this with iPod Video models. The only common thing is the fact that I'm using Classic models (6th or 7th gen) and SDXC cards. Never get it with HDD drives.

I've tried different formatting methods - SD card in the iPod; SD card in a card reader; Tarkan's method of preparing SDXC card; and other random stuff.

I'm at a loss. Pleeeese help!!
upload_2019-1-20_11-22-46.png

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #9,806 of 10,664
Ive found that the cheap green boards work perfectly fine for me at least on the 5 and 5.5 above that for me they get wonky or dont work , what hasn't worked for me on this board or on tarkan boards are the dual microsd cf card adapters they go into a bootloop when restoring.
Ive used i think 4 different Tarkan boards in Classics (all 6th & 6.5) and never really had any problems with them. All running RB.

Except for this:

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on here?

This is my long running problem with iPod Classics and SDXC cards. Doesn't matter what iPod, adapter or SDXC card I use, I get these disk errors in Windows Event Viewer. Not always but often. It happens after leaving an iPod to play for a few hours. When I connect to a PC, iTunes believes the iPod is corrupt and Windows tells me the drive needs to be formatted. I disconnect and the iPod reboots by itself (which is unusual). Reconnect and everything fine again. The iPod plays fine prior to connecting to a PC.

I recently replaced my PC and moved from Win 7 to 10, so it's not that. SD cards are always checked with H2testw. I have several USB cables - don't think it's them.

I never get this with iPod Video models. The only common thing is the fact that I'm using Classic models (6th or 7th gen) and SDXC cards. Never get it with HDD drives.

I've tried different formatting methods - SD card in the iPod; SD card in a card reader; Tarkan's method of preparing SDXC card; and other random stuff.

I'm at a loss. Pleeeese help!!

I had one that every time i connected it to my PC, windows would say it needs to scan the disk for errors. Even if i let it do it, every time it would always say the same thing. I have no idea why. It always worked fine with no problems, bit Windows always thought there was something wrong. That was a 6.5gen, with an old Takran CF/SD adapter, with a 512GB PNY card. I dont have that problem since installing a quad micro SD adapter from him. I can only assume its a conflict between the board firmware and RB. I put that SD card into a dual SD adapter in a 5.5gen, and i dont get the errors so i dont think its an issue with the SD card.

Ive tried searching the thread for day's now and cant find anything on it but does anyone happen to know of a clear case that would fit a 5.5 with a thick back?

Las time i bought a case for a thick ipod, it was a Belkin i bought from ebay. Now that i need a new one, i cant find one either!

I still have two of those wrapped up ununsed. one video one classic. Ended up not using them for fear of them getting all scratched up and ruined. Theyre not cheap!

....Then i found them on ebay for cheap

Clear Front Housing Case Cover for iPod Video

Theres a few different sellers selling them now, including the clear classic face plate too.

I ordered one, just to compare to rapid repair's piece, see if it really is the same exact item. But it wont be here for a while yet.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #9,809 of 10,664
Ive tried searching the thread for day's now and cant find anything on it but does anyone happen to know of a clear case that would fit a 5.5 with a thick back?

Those thicker cases seem to be rare now. If I remember rightly the 5th gen thick is actually slightly larger than the 6th gen thick. I've found a few over the years, but I don't know if any are still on amazon/ebay. If you keep searching with the right search terms one might turn up on there. Maybe you'll have to settle for an opaque 'soft' case?

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #9,810 of 10,664
It's the face plate. The 5th gen has a sharp edge, and the classics have it beveled, so the cases for a video will fit on a classic (altho poorly) but a classic case doesn't really fit on a video.
Some brands used to sell their cases with both the thin and the thick back half so it fit either version (my Belkin was like that) but now that I'm finally building a video i can't find them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back