Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jan 4, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #9,781 of 10,664
Changing the battery is a given, if you want to resurrect it. I'm not sure the button problem is related, but you'd have to change the battery anyway to find out. And then you start running into the question of whether it's worth the expense and time to do this - you can get working ones for very little these days.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #9,782 of 10,664
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me. I have an old iPod video 5th gen that I wanted to bring back to life, the problem is that it doesn't turn on. This pic is all I see when it's connected to my pc, sometimes a different icon flashes very quickly but I'm not sure what's supposed to represent, seems like a battery icon with a warning sign. Also, the center button is stuck but it doesn't seem to be hard to fix (once opened the ipod at least). What could be the main cause, a dead battery or something worse? Any input is highly appreciated, I'm not sure if I can just open it, fix the button, change the battery and expect it to work. Thanks.

The battery may have to be charged using a wall plug for a while, on the other hand its probably an older battery and it would be best for you to get a new one anyway its pretty easy the hardest part is getting the ipod open and patience. As far as your clickwheel and buttons its probably one of the sticky rubber feet that have come off place once you open your ipod and disassemble the click wheel there should be 5 black rubber feet with glue on the bottom of them that stick to the clickwheel module. I advise that before you do any of this take your time looking at video's a few of them so that you have everything covered and see how it works its really not that hard once you get the hang of it. I bought an ipod for $12.50 on ebay with an old battery and a hard clickwheel it took me 30 minutes to get it back working with a new battery.

Jan 4, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #9,783 of 10,664
Changing the battery is a given, if you want to resurrect it. I'm not sure the button problem is related, but you'd have to change the battery anyway to find out. And then you start running into the question of whether it's worth the expense and time to do this - you can get working ones for very little these days.
i got one for failry cheap on ebay an ipod video for $12.50 put in an new battery and fixed the clickwheel and its working fine and just yesterday got a ipod 5 enhanced for 29 that i plan on using a 3000mah battery, with a thick back and upgrading the HDD to SSD.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #9,784 of 10,664
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me. I have an old iPod video 5th gen that I wanted to bring back to life, the problem is that it doesn't turn on. This pic is all I see when it's connected to my pc, sometimes a different icon flashes very quickly but I'm not sure what's supposed to represent, seems like a battery icon with a warning sign. Also, the center button is stuck but it doesn't seem to be hard to fix (once opened the ipod at least). What could be the main cause, a dead battery or something worse? Any input is highly appreciated, I'm not sure if I can just open it, fix the button, change the battery and expect it to work. Thanks.

Leave it charging overnight. If it's still showing this icon then I fear there is a logic board problem. You could try changing the battery anyway just to confirm but I have seen ipods in this state and nothing would revive them.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #9,785 of 10,664
Thanks for the replies. It would be a real shame if the logic boards is dead, so hopefully it's just the battery. Just a quick update: I've tried charging the iPod with a wall plug, as Al Moon suggested, and I can hear the hdd spinning, the apple logo appears briefly but then it reboots... Left it connected like that for a while and it got a little bit hot, I've tried charging in the same way an iPod nano and it works just fine. Doesn't seem to be very promising to be honest, I guess buying a new battery is the only option right now

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #9,786 of 10,664
speaking of logic board:

during a battery replacement on one of my 5gs i managed to pull the battery connector lose from the board along with some pins. quick search on youtube shows people soldering a new connector back on, but my skills are not that good, plus no soldering iron.

what's my other option? i'm assuming the whole logic board needs to be replaced? looking around for new boards it almost seems like i can pick up another whole ipod on ebay for less.

any easy advice or should i just buy a replacement ipod? i have no sentimental attachment to this one, i bought it about 6 months ago to dick around with.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #9,787 of 10,664
speaking of logic board:

during a battery replacement on one of my 5gs i managed to pull the battery connector lose from the board along with some pins. quick search on youtube shows people soldering a new connector back on, but my skills are not that good, plus no soldering iron.

what's my other option? i'm assuming the whole logic board needs to be replaced? looking around for new boards it almost seems like i can pick up another whole ipod on ebay for less.

any easy advice or should i just buy a replacement ipod? i have no sentimental attachment to this one, i bought it about 6 months ago to dick around with.
Take the guts out lcd, click wheel, back cover, front face plate. There are plenty good deals on eBay if you look around. I got one for 12.50 with a bad headphone jack ordered the jack for like $9 had a 200gb microsd card laying around used a cheap green board zif and got a cf adapter. So for less than $40 I have a working iPod that includes a new battery as well.

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #9,788 of 10,664
are there differences between 30gb and 60gb boards? i'd think there should be but a lot of sellers on ebay do absolutely no differentiation.

i see one source selling boards that were tested for 19$ on ebay, otherwise wholesale resellers seem to want 45$, at which point i may just as well buy another functioning complete ipod on ebay.

i'm really peeved at ifixit, i wouldn't have been opening this thing up ever again if their 1 month old replacement battery that i got from them didn't crap out on me and keep dying after only about 5 hours of play. i ended up buying another battery and was replacing it last night when the connector just popped :frowning2:

Take the guts out lcd, click wheel, back cover, front face plate. There are plenty good deals on eBay if you look around. I got one for 12.50 with a bad headphone jack ordered the jack for like $9 had a 200gb microsd card laying around used a cheap green board zif and got a cf adapter. So for less than $40 I have a working iPod that includes a new battery as well.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #9,792 of 10,664
Hello, I’m interested in in turning my 7th Generation 160GB iPod into a 512GB or 1TB. I read through the thread and still don’t know where I should begin and what parts and tools I should buy.

Jan 15, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #9,793 of 10,664
Hello, I’m interested in in turning my 7th Generation 160GB iPod into a 512GB or 1TB. I read through the thread and still don’t know where I should begin and what parts and tools I should buy.
Go here https://www.iflash.xyz decide which one you want, storage and which OS you run will matter as well as ipod OS only allows up to a certain number of tracks. Since you are going for 512gb or 1 TB i would imagine you would have to go the Rockbox way but i have heard it has compatibility issues with later ipods. Make sure to research your specific model to know for sure. Go to youtube and look at a lot of videos before diving in it isnt hard but its best to know beforehand before you go and open up your ipod.

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #9,795 of 10,664
"Thin" 7th gen 160gb Software revision 2.0.4 or later, you can have unlimited hd size with original software. Older iPod classics require RockBox to go over 160gb.

I second Al Moon, use the adapters from iFlash, they work great.

Ive found that the cheap green boards work perfectly fine for me at least on the 5 and 5.5 above that for me they get wonky or dont work , what hasn't worked for me on this board or on tarkan boards are the dual microsd cf card adapters they go into a bootloop when restoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back