Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #9,916 of 10,664
https://www.imore.com/apple-really-killing-itunes-wwdc-2019

It sounds like they are phasing out iTunes, in favor of a different service streaming service. 3 different apps-Music, TV, and Podcasts. Apple hasnt publicly announced the end of iTunes, as far as i know anyway, but the writing is on the wall.

it sounds like the new Music app will sync all apple devices, so for now at least, we'll still be able to sync & restore ipods thru that. It also says its coming to Mac, but no word about PC yet.

It would be a kick in the nuts to ipod owners to remove any way to continue to restore & sync ipods, but Apple isnt stupid, and im sure theyd love to force all the video/classic owners into shiny new apple products. Sadly most would probably switch, except for the 'fanatics', such as myself and anyone else who probably posts to this thread :yum:

Jun 3, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #9,917 of 10,664
https://www.imore.com/apple-really-killing-itunes-wwdc-2019

It sounds like they are phasing out iTunes, in favor of a different service streaming service. 3 different apps-Music, TV, and Podcasts. Apple hasnt publicly announced the end of iTunes, as far as i know anyway, but the writing is on the wall.

it sounds like the new Music app will sync all apple devices, so for now at least, we'll still be able to sync & restore ipods thru that. It also says its coming to Mac, but no word about PC yet.

It would be a kick in the nuts to ipod owners to remove any way to continue to restore & sync ipods, but Apple isnt stupid, and im sure theyd love to force all the video/classic owners into shiny new apple products. Sadly most would probably switch, except for the 'fanatics', such as myself and anyone else who probably posts to this thread :yum:

The only thing I'm bothered about is whether there will continue to be a way to restore an ipod. I don't use iTunes to sync. But even with rockbox one needs to be able to do a full restore if necessary. I assume there will be workarounds anyway - are there not ways to restore an ipod without ITunes even now?.

Clearly though, carrying your files around is really old-hat now. Streaming for all, and music-as-a-service is clearly going to be the overwhelmingly-dominant model. With books soon to follow. I'm too old for this always-connected world - I don't want to become the Borg! Direct neural implants are doubtless coming soon!

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #9,918 of 10,664
I read that the new "music" app will handle all ipod sync features. I can't see them eliminating all possible support for ipods, but I wouldn't completely delete itunes and update to music until that is confirmed.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #9,919 of 10,664
Be sure to save and keep a copy of th iTunes installer. I have a few of older versions I keep for backups.

I too like to have my own music library. The only reason I keep iTunes is I'd occasionally purchase things. But more so, I have almost 15 years worth of play lists. I havn't been able to sync those through any other app. Also havn't looked into other apps. ITunes works fine for me needs. But I still have a second generation ipod classic and many other iPods.

Jun 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #9,920 of 10,664
I've modded my old iPod 5, with SD card and a new batteries plus rockbix. Love it. What's a good portable amp for it?

I use the Pocket Amp 2 – Version 2 (PA2V2) from http://electric-avenues.com/
It comes with a lifetime guarantee & its only $50. Some higher end amps have been suggested earlier in this thread but this one sounds great to me and Gary (the person who makes them) is a great guy.

Jun 4, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #9,921 of 10,664
I read that the new "music" app will handle all ipod sync features. I can't see them eliminating all possible support for ipods, but I wouldn't completely delete itunes and update to music until that is confirmed.

I'd agree that I don't see Apple eliminating support for iPods. I wonder if the new music app might change the track limits on the iPods?

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #9,922 of 10,664
The only thing I'm bothered about is whether there will continue to be a way to restore an ipod. I don't use iTunes to sync. But even with rockbox one needs to be able to do a full restore if necessary. I assume there will be workarounds anyway - are there not ways to restore an ipod without ITunes even now?.

There is a manual way to restore an iPod without iTunes: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodManualRestore But if you have installed the Rockbox bootloader and only want to use Rockbox, it is sufficient to format the drive to FAT32 and put the .rockbox folder back.

Be sure to save and keep a copy of th iTunes installer. I have a few of older versions I keep for backups.

I too like to have my own music library. The only reason I keep iTunes is I'd occasionally purchase things. But more so, I have almost 15 years worth of play lists. I havn't been able to sync those through any other app. Also havn't looked into other apps. ITunes works fine for me needs. But I still have a second generation ipod classic and many other iPods.

I think if apple stops supporting iTunes, you could still use it for syncing, but to restore an iPod there won't be the possibility to download the firmware from the apple server. So keep a copy of the firmware of your ipod from here: https://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #9,923 of 10,664
I've modded my old iPod 5, with SD card and a new batteries plus rockbix. Love it. What's a good portable amp for it?
I had a topping nx1 with fiio lod l9, I recently modded it and switched to a jds c5d keeping the l9 lod. The difference between the two setup is remarkable.
Next I ordered on ebay a full silver lod from audio minor, sound a lot clearer than the l9. For 50 euros is absolutely worth every cents.

So will Apple killing iTunes affect iPod modding and usage???
We can still use it to manage the library and the playlist, I don't think apple will force the users to update it (as skype is doing)..
And if you use rockbox you don't even need it installed, just extract it and install the driver manually if they're not installed by windows automatically.

There is a manual way to restore an iPod without iTunes: https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodManualRestore But if you have installed the Rockbox bootloader and only want to use Rockbox, it is sufficient to format the drive to FAT32 and put the .rockbox folder back.

I think if apple stops supporting iTunes, you could still use it for syncing, but to restore an iPod there won't be the possibility to download the firmware from the apple server. So keep a copy of the firmware of your ipod from here: https://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
Thanks for the link, I'll save it for future reference!

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,924 of 10,664
I had a topping nx1 with fiio lod l9, I recently modded it and switched to a jds c5d keeping the l9 lod. The difference between the two setup is remarkable.
Next I ordered on ebay a full silver lod from audio minor, sound a lot clearer than the l9. For 50 euros is absolutely worth every cents.

We can still use it to manage the library and the playlist, I don't think apple will force the users to update it (as skype is doing)..
And if you use rockbox you don't even need it installed, just extract it and install the driver manually if they're not installed by windows automatically.

Thanks for the link, I'll save it for future reference!
Have you got a link to the silver lod?

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #9,925 of 10,664
I use the Pocket Amp 2 – Version 2 (PA2V2) from http://electric-avenues.com/
It comes with a lifetime guarantee & its only $50. Some higher end amps have been suggested earlier in this thread but this one sounds great to me and Gary (the person who makes them) is a great guy.
That amp looks a good buy. Pretty much lifetime guarantee

Jun 4, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #9,927 of 10,664
Reports now say iTunes for Windows will continue to exist as is, it's only the Apple version that is going to be split into different functions (and, from the sound of it, more integrated in the O/S - not that I know much about Macs these days...though before 1995 I used to use them exclusively! )

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #9,930 of 10,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back