Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #9,767 of 10,664
Dang. Just got hit by iQuad corruption bug.

Code:
Rockbox boot loader
Version: 1.0
Battery status ok
Loading Rockbox...
Error!
Can't load rockbox.ipod:
File not found

Rockbox had being working fine for several months using iQuad adaptor.

Suddenly just froze while playing from my desk so did hardware reboot and got the error above. I can reboot into OF and see the full capacity of the SD cards. Had to do a reinstall of Rockbox and could still see all tracks as well as the database but none of the songs worked.

What's the best way to recover from this corruption? Simple reformat and install then Rockbox? Do I need to recover OF first?

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #9,768 of 10,664
Weirdly i just connected the iPod to the computer and all the music files I've tried work perfectly. But nothing at all will play through Rockbox. Has anyone experienced this? I'd much rather not lose all the music on there if it's recoverable...

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #9,769 of 10,664

Code:
Rockbox boot loader
Battery status ok
Loading Rockbox...
Error!
Can't load rockbox.ipod:
File not found

Rockbox had being working fine for several months using iQuad adaptor.

Suddenly just froze while playing from my desk so did hardware reboot and got the error above. I can reboot into OF and see the full capacity of the SD cards. Had to do a reinstall of Rockbox and could still see all tracks as well as the database but none of the songs worked.

What's the best way to recover from this corruption? Simple reformat and install then Rockbox? Do I need to recover OF first?

Did you try chkdsk /f?
I was able to recover from corrupted rockbox with chkdsk /f
Since then I build database with external tool and I do not write anything ( playlist , database, etc) in rockbox itself, only external...
No problem since...
Please let us know

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #9,771 of 10,664

Code:
Rockbox boot loader
Battery status ok
Loading Rockbox...
Error!
Can't load rockbox.ipod:
File not found

As the Rockbox bootloader is still on the device, copying a fresh build should make the iPod work again. Obtain it from here: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-ipod6g.zip or use thu Utility. I also recommend to perform chkdsk.

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #9,772 of 10,664
As the Rockbox bootloader is still on the device, copying a fresh build should make the iPod work again. Obtain it from here: http://build.rockbox.org/data/rockbox-ipod6g.zip or use thu Utility. I also recommend to perform chkdsk.

Yeah that's what I already did. I can now boot into Rockbox as well as OF but as I said, all the files won't play on Rockbox even though they play fine through my computer.

I just tried to run CHKDSK /F and got "Cannot read boot sector".

Just tried with MacOS Disk Utility and got this:

Xl0XEOA.png

Still can't get anything to play on Rockbox.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #9,773 of 10,664
so is there a definitive of the limit on how many songs you can fit on a 5th generation? for my 60gb (which has been upgraded to 400GB) i've read that the limit is 50K.

i've previously posted that i started getting crashes around 20K songs, but that was with full alac and running smart lists. I read somewhere that there is a smart list issue that would coincide somewhere around 20K songs.

since then i've started downsampling to 256AAC and 3x i get a crash around 39000 songs. i am loading most of the songs (probably 25K) through genre selector.

I wonder if the genres/smart lists are still causing issues and if i was to simply select the artists by themselves i could reach this 50K song limit.

any feedback is appreciated.

(this is all done on itunes through mac).

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #9,774 of 10,664
Hi,
I have an iPod 6.5 gen with a bad hdd. I'm planning on installing an iFlash quad adapter and 256 GB, maybe more. I understand the 6.5 gen won't recognize more than 120 gb, but Rockbox will.
If I install RB, and it recognizes the 256 gb, then revert to the original Apple firmware (just because I'm used to it), will the OF then recognize the 256 gb as long as RB is still there?
Any other way to hack the Apple firmware to accept the 256 gb?
I'm guessing not, nor will the Apple OF go past the track limit.
Anybody have experience with this situation?
Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #9,775 of 10,664
Hi,
I have an iPod 6.5 gen with a bad hdd. I'm planning on installing an iFlash quad adapter and 256 GB, maybe more. I understand the 6.5 gen won't recognize more than 120 gb, but Rockbox will.
If I install RB, and it recognizes the 256 gb, then revert to the original Apple firmware (just because I'm used to it), will the OF then recognize the 256 gb as long as RB is still there?
Any other way to hack the Apple firmware to accept the 256 gb?
I'm guessing not, nor will the Apple OF go past the track limit.
Anybody have experience with this situation?
Thanks

Won't work. Rockbox being present makes no difference to the OF, it remains what it is.
Furthermore, once you boot in OF it may mess-up the disk for RB. Can't actually remember exactly what happens, but certainly you won't be able to use OF to access the full 256gb when syncing, which means you will have a problem as RB doesn't work reliably for syncing with an iFlash present (some people here seem to be able to live with RB's shortcomings in that regard but I found it impossible)
6.5gen just isn't good for >128gb. Not till someone with sufficient expertise and motivation rewrites RB's ATA handler so that it plays nicely with iFlash (or, maybe, conversely, Tarkan does something to iFlash so it works with RB).

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #9,778 of 10,664
Are you saying RB doesn't work well on the gen 6.5 with iflash at all? Would it work with 256 gb if I just booted into RB and not use the OF?
Rockbox will work fine; and the OF will work fine. What won't work is trying to use the same database on both. The OF will only work with music added via itunes, that's filed in its weird native format. It won't see the files you add manually that rockbox can use. And you can load anything you want manually for rockbox to use, but the OF will ignore that.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #9,779 of 10,664
Rockbox will work fine; and the OF will work fine. What won't work is trying to use the same database on both. The OF will only work with music added via itunes, that's filed in its weird native format. It won't see the files you add manually that rockbox can use. And you can load anything you want manually for rockbox to use, but the OF will ignore that.

The OF won't work fine*. With or without Rockbox present, it can't address the full 256gb on a 6.5gen. It would be better to just disable dual-booting and only use rockbox (I think there's an option to do that, maybe in a patch?)

regarding reptillikus - for whatever reason different experiences seem to be different. I would say though that the 'my modded ipod is skipping/has glitches in playing tracks' is a very frequent post on rockbox forums, and it's pretty much always because of sycning with rockbox rather than OF (which introduces write errors, as was once demonstrated here by someone using hashcode checking).

But it occurs to me that maybe if the total is 256gb then each card is only 64gb, and it certainly does seem to be much less of a problem with smaller capacity cards, so perhaps that explains the difference? Maybe with lower capacity cards it works well enough? God knows - there seems to be a lot of mysterious variation in people's results with iFlash mods.

* I don't mean that to sound rude/terse.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #9,780 of 10,664
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me. I have an old iPod video 5th gen that I wanted to bring back to life, the problem is that it doesn't turn on. This pic is all I see when it's connected to my pc, sometimes a different icon flashes very quickly but I'm not sure what's supposed to represent, seems like a battery icon with a warning sign. Also, the center button is stuck but it doesn't seem to be hard to fix (once opened the ipod at least). What could be the main cause, a dead battery or something worse? Any input is highly appreciated, I'm not sure if I can just open it, fix the button, change the battery and expect it to work. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back