Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #9,122 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I think I've come to the point when I need some wiseness from let's say nerdier people than I am.
And if this thread is still alive I'd like to tell you about my iPod.
I've got a thin iPod Video 30GB.
I bought this thing:
9992471_thumb.jpg

Then I went on one popular online exchange site and bought this for a good value of money:
9992474_thumb.jpg

I've put all the stuff together and iTunes told me I've got an iPod with 64 gigs inside of it.
I uploaded some music, started playing it and in the middle of the song a thing just froze.

I thought I've made something wrong and then took the card outside, FAT32-formatted it, put it back and the result was kinda the same.
I tried to restore a player few times. Basically, I always ended up having the same thing on the screen:
9992476_thumb.jpg

Questions:
  1. Is my adapter providing enough voltage/power/smth else? Or should I go for one of these?
  2. If my adapter is good enough does the player and adapter even support this 400x Silicon Power memory card. The card is listed in compatibility list out here.
  3. Just curious how do I find out if I have an American or a European version of iPod (except for loudness difference).
Don't beat me too hard for not reading 600+ pages of the thread. Just point me somewhere if there was anything on my topic. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• cf-sp-64gb.jpg
    cf-sp-64gb.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • cf-zif.jpg
    cf-zif.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 489438.jpg
    489438.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
  • iFlash_top.jpg
    iFlash_top.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #9,123 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I think I've come to the point when I need some wiseness from let's say nerdier people than I am.
I bought this thing:
9992471_thumb.jpg

Then I went on one popular online exchange site and bought this for a good value of money:
9992474_thumb.jpg

I've put all the stuff together and iTunes told me I've got an iPod with 64 gigs inside of it.
I uploaded some music, started playing it and in the middle of the song a thing just froze.

I thought I've made something wrong and then took the card outside, FAT32-formatted it, put it back and the result was kinda the same.
I tried to restore a player few times. Basically, I always ended up having the same thing on the screen:
9992476_thumb.jpg

Questions:
  1. Is my adapter providing enough voltage/power/smth else? Or should I go for one of these?
  2. If my adapter is good enough does the player and adapter even support this 400x Silicon Power memory card. The card is listed in compatibility list out here.
  3. Just curious how do I find out if I have an American or a European version of iPod (except for loudness difference).
Don't beat me too hard for not reading 600+ pages of the thread. Just point me somewhere if there was anything on my topic. Thanks a lot!

That seems strange, try to rockbox it and see it there is the same problem.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,125 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I bought this thing:
9992471_thumb.jpg

9992474_thumb.jpg

9992476_thumb.jpg

Questions:

Maybe the PATA ribbon connector is damaged. Usually it's the first component to fails as soon as an iPod is opened.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #9,130 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I think I've...
1. May not be the issue - but does the adapter and CF module seat together firmly and tightly? They can wiggle loose a little bit and give the same problem, although when you open it it's usually fairly apparent.
2. Might be the problem - if you can, get another (cheap) card and see if it works with that one. That would eliminate the CF card as the root problem.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #9,131 of 10,664
Hey! Does anyone want to have a modded iPod video, WITH GAMES? It only works with the 5 and 5.5

Bejeweled
Cubis 2
iQuiz
LOST
Mahjong
Mini golf
Monopoly
Ms. PAC-MAN
musika
PAC-MAN
Royal Solitare
SAT PREP Math
SAT PREP Reading
SAT PREP Writing
Sudoku
Tetris
The Sims Bowling
The Sims Pool
Vortex
Zuma

It still also has its original Solitaire, Parachute, and Brick game along side the others

Now I will be putting in an ssd, new battery, and see if I can get it to work again. Will post pictures!
If anyone is curious how to do this please ask.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #9,132 of 10,664
I have a rockboxed Classic 7th. For some reason, i can save EQ presets but unable to browse them from the Browse option in the EQ menu. In effect, there is no way I can load the presets I created. Is anyone having the same issue?

EDIT: nevermind, found the solution. Had to create the eqs folder in the root folder of rockbox.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #9,133 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I bought this thing:
9992471_thumb.jpg

9992474_thumb.jpg

9992476_thumb.jpg

Questions:

Did you put adapter in this correct position:
64Tb43ev51BLVP3J.jpg

In this position doesnt work:
cfzif_5.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #9,134 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I bought this thing:
9992471_thumb.jpg

9992474_thumb.jpg

9992476_thumb.jpg

Questions:

That compatibility list is for the iFlash product.
I have found that the green adapters from China are very fussy which CF card you put in. However, Kingston CompactFlash Ultimate Cards 266x work well although I've only used 32GB versions. I'd like to know what other brands have worked for people.
Have you checked the CF card using h2testw?
Go into the iPod's diagnostic mode - check the drive details. If the info there is garbled then that could be a sign of a ribbon cable connection problem.

Oh, and I don't think there's a volume difference between US and EU models of the iPod Video. That occurred later with the iPod Classics.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #9,135 of 10,664
Hey, guys!
I bought this thing:
IIRC that adapter has a thicker ZIF connector, try inserting a thin piece of paper on top of the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back