Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #9,153 of 10,664
Currently using 1196gb with 738gb free on my 2tb thick. No problems at all. An 800gb thin with 1900mah battery seems like the next goal, and 4tb still a dream for now lol

I could only get the 800gb slim option working fully with a 5th gen (works fine in that case). For any later ipod it seemed to run into the usual rockbox/card format problem, which meant it couldn't write safely to the cards in rockbox mode, hence couldn't build the database. Without rockbox the OF databse-size limit made it impossible to use the full capacity, so Rockbox is essential for me. Bit annoying as I prefer the slightly-slimmer construction of the classic to the fatter video ipod. Really curious if the 256gb micro sd works better in that regard than the 200gb ones (and which brand of that capacity card is likely to work better, because it also depends on brand), but there's no way I'm risking spending that much to find out.

Edit - I also dimly remember reading somewhere the claim that something in the ipod itself will max-out at 2Tb. But don't recall where I heard that (just possbly a rockbox dev?).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #9,154 of 10,664
are you using the old bootloader(emCore) or this new one? The old one on the boot menu you have to go to setting and use the format option, then boot fallback image to copy .rockbox to there and then reboot for it to work, else it does not recognise the drive.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #9,155 of 10,664
Currently using 1196gb with 738gb free on my 2tb thick. No problems at all. An 800gb thin with 1900mah battery seems like the next goal, and 4tb still a dream for now lol
Why only 800GB? Go for 1.6TB slim iPod. the 400GB microSD is already available :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #9,157 of 10,664
are you using the old bootloader(emCore) or this new one? The old one on the boot menu you have to go to setting and use the format option, then boot fallback image to copy .rockbox to there and then reboot for it to work, else it does not recognise the drive.
Not sure if this question is directed at me or not.

But I use the new dual-boot bootloader for ipod classic. Obviously for 5th gen it doesn't need special bootloader.

And the microsd cards above 128gb don't play well with rockbox on the classic because while you can sync in OF mode, it works only up till you try and build the database (which I guess is the first point that rockbox itself attempts to write to the cards). Then rockbox seems to 'lose' the storage. It's actually sort-of usable as long as you never try and build the database, but I like the database. Hence have to use a 5th gen* for the 800gb slim, I know some actually prefer the 5th gen but I can't really tell an SQ difference, and it is both larger than the classic and also substantially slower to sync. If anyone finds a micro sd card >128gb that works with rockbox and a classic, It'd be interesting to know.

*and I mean 5th gen,not 5.5 gen - was formerly a 60gb video.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #9,158 of 10,664
Hey guys I've been offered an iPod 160gb but i couldn't find any reference online to the model/batch number MC484C. Does anyone knows anything about this model?

$_59.jpg

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #9,160 of 10,664
According to EveryMac.com, it is a late 2008 7th Generation Classic.

Assuming the back cover is original, it should have a laser etched Serial # that matches that shown in the photo. If the Serial # on the back cover does not match the one in the photo, then the back cover was replaced at some point.

Thanks. But why is the order number different from the ones on EveryMac?

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #9,163 of 10,664
Not sure if this question is directed at me or not.

But I use the new dual-boot bootloader for ipod classic. Obviously for 5th gen it doesn't need special bootloader.

And the microsd cards above 128gb don't play well with rockbox on the classic because while you can sync in OF mode, it works only up till you try and build the database (which I guess is the first point that rockbox itself attempts to write to the cards). Then rockbox seems to 'lose' the storage. It's actually sort-of usable as long as you never try and build the database, but I like the database. Hence have to use a 5th gen* for the 800gb slim, I know some actually prefer the 5th gen but I can't really tell an SQ difference, and it is both larger than the classic and also substantially slower to sync. If anyone finds a micro sd card >128gb that works with rockbox and a classic, It'd be interesting to know.

*and I mean 5th gen,not 5.5 gen - was formerly a 60gb video.
I built a thin iPod classic using a single 512GB PNY SDCard and 4 x 128GB Samsung microSD and database is building just fine on both iPod classics.

I'm waiting for the price of new 400GB microSD to go lower then I will build either a 4x256GB or 4x400GB slim iPod classic.

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #9,165 of 10,664
My pleasure, hopefully you get a good deal on it and it's in full working order.

The other confirmation that unit is a real McCoy 7th Gen. Classic is in the on-screen display for the Version, which is the firmware version and is listed as 2.0.5 on 7th Gen. Classics only.

If it were a 6th Gen. masquerading as a 7th Gen. the firmware Version listed would be 1.1.2.

Thanks! Now I'm pretty confident that I'm buying the 7 gen. The guy said it's in near mint condition. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back