Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #8,956 of 10,664
  The battery indicator is just a reference, with a bigger battery it can last several hours on 0%

Great, now i have to be on the lookout for when the ipod dies D:

Is this the new 2600 mAh battery from Aliexpress?? Not bad specs and battery life is quite good. Are you using the default rockbox theme? 

Yep the one from aliexpress, it has been 51 hours and the indicator says 12% left but I just found out its inaccurate lol.
I use the default theme because the other ones use tiny letters on the main menu ¬¬

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8,958 of 10,664
  Great, now i have to be on the lookout for when the ipod dies D:

Yep the one from aliexpress, it has been 51 hours and the indicator says 12% left but I just found out its inaccurate lol.
I use the default theme because the other ones use tiny letters on the main menu ¬¬

Excellent! Great Battery life for a iPod Video! :) Are you happy with the performance of the battery so far? How many hours has it been now?? :)

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #8,959 of 10,664
What, _all_ of them? That shouldn't be the case.

Is it possible you haven't installed the font pack, so many of them are lacking the required fonts?

Haven't tested all of them but the ones i liked end up using tiny fonts and the font pack is installed (i just double checked it).
Not that it bothers me since the default menu is dark-ish and i dont stare at the screen all the tima 
tongue.gif

Excellent! Great Battery life for a iPod Video! :) Are you happy with the performance of the battery so far? How many hours has it been now?? :)

Sure I am 
biggrin.gif

I started the test at 21:08 2 days ago and the ipod is still on. So it has been almost 70 hours of constant playback and about 2 since the battery indicator reached 0%.

[update] The battery just died at 19:16. So it lasted about 70 hours and 8 minutes of constant playback :D

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #8,960 of 10,664
Several questions about 5.5G thin:

1. Does Headphone jack/Hold switch interchargeable between 5.5G newer iPods (6g, 7g thin version)?
2. In 80hz's setup there's photo of iPod's top with the gap between facepalte and back cover: is this because of 2000mah battery and thin back?
this picture: http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1669635/

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #8,961 of 10,664
  Haven't tested all of them but the ones i liked end up using tiny fonts and the font pack is installed (i just double checked it).
Not that it bothers me since the default menu is dark-ish and i dont stare at the screen all the tima 
tongue.gif

Sure I am 
biggrin.gif

I started the test at 21:08 2 days ago and the ipod is still on. So it has been almost 70 hours of constant playback and about 2 since the battery indicator reached 0%.

[update] The battery just died at 19:16. So it lasted about 70 hours and 8 minutes of constant playback :D

Thats fantastic. I want to buy one! :D.... What Rockbox version do you have installed? The stable 3.13 version??

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,962 of 10,664
  Several questions about 5.5G thin:

1. Does Headphone jack/Hold switch interchargeable between 5.5G newer iPods (6g, 7g thin version)?
2. In 80hz's setup there's photo of iPod's top with the gap between facepalte and back cover: is this because of 2000mah battery and thin back?
this picture: http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1669635/

1. Yes you can use any you want depending on thin or thick version and if you want silver Botton with white headphone jack or both in black used with the 6/7th gens but can also be used with 5th. 
2. That could well be from the battery, but from experience that could be for various reasons. Not being flush with the mid frame at the top causing that gap, having opened it before causing it not to be completely closed. Battery as you say or just the way it is. Ive done many where I put the backplate 1st time and you still get that gap. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #8,963 of 10,664
Thanks for answer, Zumpf
And another question:

How many tracks could I download to iPod 5.5 with 64mb RAM using original firmware and iFlash quad adatper (let's say it would 512Gb)?
As tarkan's site says it would be around 50k, is that true?
Won't there be any freezes during playback with such big library?

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #8,964 of 10,664
  Thanks for answer, Zumpf
And another question:

How many tracks could I download to iPod 5.5 with 64mb RAM using original firmware and iFlash quad adatper (let's say it would 512Gb)?
As tarkan's site says it would be around 50k, is that true?
Won't there be any freezes during playback with such big library?

Yes give or take 50k. Thats why some people use rockbox on their iPod as it allows them to add many more songs to the iPod and you can customise it. I have no experience with rockbox so others here maybe more helpful. 
If you have a 30gb version (32mb ram board) you'd have issues with freezing with that amount of tracks without rockbox.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #8,966 of 10,664
The 3.13 version. Software dev builds are like Linux, great in theory but a nightmare on practical use :D  

Agreed! I find Dev builds are buggy and my iPod freezes. Also battery life is not so good compared to 3.13. I'm happy with 3.13 on my iPod 5.5 gen 80 gb customized with iFlash Dual with Kingston 512 gb sd card. Works 100% :)

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #8,967 of 10,664
The dev builds have essentially replaced the releases at least until we get around to doing them again. There shouldn't be any difference in stability with stock devices (releases are just old dev builds).

With a modded device you never know. A lot of these adapters seem to work poorly or not all with our ata driver, and no manufacturers have provided drivers or documentation for these adapters. You may find that a random build from 2011 works fine. Or that everything works fine. Try a few builds and if you get instability go back to the apple firmware and wait to see if someone reverse engineers your adapter to add support for it.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #8,968 of 10,664
Greetings. After having read Archimago's measurings of the iPod 5g (60GB model) [1], and having read about hardware mods for the iPod, I chose to buy an used, broken 5g 30GB model (not the exact model as Archimago's, I know, but it has the same DAC if I'm correct, and it was the best local offer I could find) and to refurbish it with an iFlash Quad. However, I have a few questions, and I would be grateful if someone could answer them:

-Does the 30GB model have a thick or thin caseback?
-Based on the iflash website's guide for 3rd party batteries [2], what are the best batteries I can use for this 30GB model in terms of maximum capacity and quality? Any recommendations? Ebay? Aliexpress?
-It seems the 30GB models have 32MB of RAM. Will this affect the maximum amount of songs I can store on the microsd in either the official firmware or Rockbox?
-Are the LCD screen of the 5g, 6g and 7g models compatible? Can I use third party LCD screens?
-What about motherboards, DACs, etc? Are they compatible between themselves too?
-Rockbox's iPod builds only allow to specify battery capacity up to 1000mAh. Will a higher capacity 3rd party battery cause problems with Rockbox? Will I need to compile Rockbox by myself?

Thank you.

[1] https://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/09/retro-measure-2006-apple-ipod-classic.html
[2] https://www.iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #8,969 of 10,664
5th gen 30GB iPods are thin and have 32MB RAM, 60GB and 80GB are thick and have 64MB RAM.
I've used the 2000mAh battery from Alex using an iFlash-Quad with a thin back:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/8040#post_12704975
LCDs are NOT interchangeable between 5th, 6th and 7th gens. They are generation specific.
Clickwheels are NOT interchangeable either between the 5th and 6th/7th gens. They have issues.
Since I used an 80GB 5th gen for my build, I continue to use the stock OS so I can plug it into my car and home stereo.
That doesn't work with Rockbox.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #8,970 of 10,664
6th and 7th (and 7.5th!) screens are interchangeable. Video and classic are not.
https://www.iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/
lower RAM means fewer tracks with OF. Rockbox is not affected (other than, probably, I'm guessing, smoothness of use and tendency to choke if you have a memory intensive theme plus huge directory plus a track playing while trying to use a plug-in)
3rd party battery makes no difference to Rockbox, the specified battery capacity is just for the estimated battery life reported (and that is wildly inaccurate anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back