Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #8,971 of 10,664
6th and 7th (and 7.5th!) screens are interchangeable. Video and classic are not.
https://www.iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/
lower RAM means fewer tracks with OF. Rockbox is not affected (other than, probably, I'm guessing, smoothness of use and tendency to choke if you have a memory intensive theme plus huge directory plus a track playing while trying to use a plug-in)
3rd party battery makes no difference to Rockbox, the specified battery capacity is just for the estimated battery life reported (and that is wildly inaccurate anyway).

I've had issues with LCDs. When I put a 160gb 7th gen LCD to a 120gb or 6th gen I Always get a white screen and vice versa. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #8,972 of 10,664
Thank you for your answers! However, that 3rd battery does not ship to my country. Any other recommendation?

EDIT: Will this one work? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Capacity-Upgraded-1900mAh-Internal-Battery-for-iPod-5th-gen-video-30gb/32226390946.html

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #8,974 of 10,664
Guys, I need some opinion here regarding the battery upgrade
I'm having an iPod 6th gen 80GB (mb029) and I've ordered the iFlash Quad.

Now I'm thinking if I should invest in Alex (aka canamyfly2013) 2000mAh batteries - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191209866425&globalID=EBAY-US

As far as I know, he is the only one selling that particular battery size in that dimension that fits into iPod perfectly with the thin case. The 1900mAh one will fit as well but modification is needed on the metal frame inside.

Here comes my question, how's the battery performance? Is it really worthwhile to get that particular battery since many has confirmed that it will fit into a thin back casing with iFlash Quad. The reason I'm asking is I would be able to get the other 1800/1900 mAh batteries together with replacement casing for a fraction of the price (like maybe less than half of Alex's batteries). And I will no longer be able to use the original thin casing again.

Now I'm in a dilemma, should I pay more so everything would fit into my iPod's original thin back casing?
Or should I save the money and get the thick case with cheaper 1800/1900mAh battery? Please advise.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #8,975 of 10,664
I've had issues with LCDs. When I put a 160gb 7th gen LCD to a 120gb or 6th gen I Always get a white screen and vice versa. 

Interesting. I haven't noticed that..though I haven't explicitly experimented, and I'm not sure I can even tell 6th and 7th gen screens apart, I've just swapped loads of them around willy-nilly. is there a visible difference in appearance?
(When bought as parts, assuming they are still available as such, I don't recall them specifying which ipod classic they related to)

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #8,976 of 10,664
Interesting. I haven't noticed that..though I haven't explicitly experimented, and I'm not sure I can even tell 6th and 7th gen screens apart, I've just swapped loads of them around willy-nilly. is there a visible difference in appearance?
(When bought as parts, assuming they are still available as such, I don't recall them specifying which ipod classic they related to)

There is a slight difference. The 6g tend to have a green/red/pink plastic bit covering the electronics whilst the 7g tend not to. Also the 7th have a screw which the 6g don't. Thats how I can tell them apart. Having said that I have been able to get a 7g to work on a 6g. 
If anyone has the possibility to test them please do and let us know. I currently have no 6g LCD's
I've had to return a few because sellers don't seem to be aware. The issue is that they list them as 6g and 7g.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #8,980 of 10,664
Tip Ring Ring Sleeve. 4 pole stereo vs the 3 pole TRS

The connector earphones with mics have

So that's why not many people talk about this battery, I have no idea when these adaptors were released to the public lol

I can only say the battery fits with the quad adaptor because that's the one I have. The other 2 would probably fit if they have the same thickness as the quad. I have both 30gb and 80gb ipod 5.5 and there's no way the battery would fit in the thin one (the battery is as thick as the thin back shell)

I bought the 2600 one because it is the biggest one avaliable and I can pay aliexpress purchases with cash at the bank (no stupid credit card conversion wild fluctuation) 
biggrin.gif

For now I would say they both have about the same capacity since they have similar physical density. I'll time the battery life once i get the microSD card back.

I just changed the jack and the 3 poles works perfectly now with my 4 pole earphones :)

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #8,981 of 10,664
Speaking of battery %... Does anyone else's go negative?  I'm using the latest stable rockbox and mine dies at around -58%.  I put a new 850mah battery in because my last one was dying so fast (I thought).  When I was waiting for it to arrive I realized it was not dying but just the indicator was screwy.  I set the values in the menu properly.  Also tried running the battery diagnostics.  No idea what else to try.  Not a real big deal but kind of odd.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #8,983 of 10,664
  Speaking of battery %... Does anyone else's go negative?  I'm using the latest stable rockbox and mine dies at around -58%.  I put a new 850mah battery in because my last one was dying so fast (I thought).  When I was waiting for it to arrive I realized it was not dying but just the indicator was screwy.  I set the values in the menu properly.  Also tried running the battery diagnostics.  No idea what else to try.  Not a real big deal but kind of odd.

Just recently I found out that the battery meter isn't accurate. Mine got stuck at 0% for about 2~3 hours when i put the 2600mAh battery and set to 1400mAh in the tockbox settings

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #8,984 of 10,664
May I know where did you get your jack replacement? Is it the same as your original iPod jack or it's something different?

Got it on a friends ipod that he was going to throw :p

There are plenty of websites such as Idemigods :)

It's the same jack :)

Need some help,

If I create a reportory by artist inside the music repertory from rockbox can they be added at the plylist?

Because it seems like they aren't...

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #8,985 of 10,664
Hi, would appreciate your help here, I own a 80gb 5.5, very pleased with sound quality but it is time for adding couple notches:
Which media expansion should I go for?, SD or compact flash? I'm planing to go with the Iflash stuff.
Should I do the capacitor bypass offered from them too? (Diymod)
Which iems would be your better pick considering no external amp?
Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back