Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 21, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #8,341 of 10,664
  Now you can upgrade your dualPODs to 2TB when these are released 
beerchug.gif

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/20/sandisk-unveils-worlds-first-1tb-sdxc-card/

Dammit, I'm going to have to find more music that I like.  Can't quite fill 1Tb at the moment (I don't use flacs due to the shorter battery life and my ears can't tell the difference anyway)

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #8,345 of 10,664
  Vapman, what'd the adapter and battery set you back? I've got an old mini kicking around, wondering what it'd cost to bring it back to life.

Personally I found the mini to be horribly fiddly to work with compared to the classic/video.  Something about the cables/connectors being infuriatingly temperamental.  Maybe it's just me, but it would be working, I'd put it back together, and it would immediately give that apple-support error.

And battery life and sound quality didn't compare with classic/video, so decided  it was better to use a 128gb card in a video.  Still have a 32gb one though (full of audio books).  Not going to risk openning it up again to upgrade any more, it seems to hate being disturbed.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #8,347 of 10,664
The upgrade of the mini to 256gb with the Lexar sd did not work. With 38k or greater songs, the ipod shows and appears to play sings, but no sound results. When switched to the sandisk 128, 18k songs, works like a charm.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #8,348 of 10,664
The upgrade of the mini to 256gb with the Lexar sd did not work. With 38k or greater songs, the ipod shows and appears to play sings, but no sound results. When switched to the sandisk 128, 18k songs, works like a charm.

i can get 128gb working fine with Apple firmware, for 256 Rockbox is necessary.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #8,349 of 10,664
Do you know why that is? In every other version, if it properly formats the card, the only limit is the size of the database, which in every other version (again) is around 55k songs. The mini sets up the database just fine, appears to play the songs, just doesn't play sound. When the Video apple db is exceeded, nothing shows in the music database.

Using RB on a Video bypasses the db limitation. But the db shows just fine on the mini, so using RB won't affect that.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #8,350 of 10,664
Do you know why that is? In every other version, if it properly formats the card, the only limit is the size of the database, which in every other version (again) is around 55k songs. The mini sets up the database just fine, appears to play the songs, just doesn't play sound. When the Video apple db is exceeded, nothing shows in the music database.

Using RB on a Video bypasses the db limitation. But the db shows just fine on the mini, so using RB won't affect that.

I can't say I know for sure but I did a lot of iPod hacking back when Rockbox was first being ported to iPods.
It probably was an Apple designed partition format. generally they can support a ton of space relative to what is in it, so i guessed somewhere between 100 and 200gb was an arbitrary limit?
i suppose if i wanted to take a lot of time i could try an Apple formatted one and try to put on 60k tiny songs but that would be too much effort.
Rockbox doesn't care about partition sizes and will read whatever you give it if it can understand the partition.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #8,351 of 10,664
Hi guys,

One simple question. I have an iPod 5.5th gen and I think the hard drive is about to deliver its soul to the creator. It stops while playing and takes a lot of time to load files.
So, I will go for the iFlash option. I just don´t know what option to choose. 4xMicroSD, 2xSD, 1xSD or mSata. I want reliability and speed when I connect it to my macbook.

Can anyone give-me some inputs?
If I go for the card options, what card suit the iPod the best?
If I go for the mSata is it faster?

I don't need more that 120gb. I have 80 now and it is more than enough.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #8,352 of 10,664
You may like a single sd card adaptor. If you have a 30gb iPod, your limit will be 128gb. If you have an 80gb, then you'll be safe at 256gb, or 512gb. Sounds like a single adaptor with a 128gb card will work perfectly for you, based on your comments. You'll find that things are generally faster. I recommend a PNY 128gb SD card. They seem to have good synergy in this scenario.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #8,353 of 10,664
  Hi guys,

One simple question. I have an iPod 5.5th gen and I think the hard drive is about to deliver its soul to the creator. It stops while playing and takes a lot of time to load files.
So, I will go for the iFlash option. I just don´t know what option to choose. 4xMicroSD, 2xSD, 1xSD or mSata. I want reliability and speed when I connect it to my macbook.

Can anyone give-me some inputs?
If I go for the card options, what card suit the iPod the best?
If I go for the mSata is it faster?

I don't need more that 120gb. I have 80 now and it is more than enough.

The main problem with msata is that it is unreliable with heat issues (more the larger size to be fair).  You could go for a single card adapter and up to 256 depending on library size, and wallet size.  Or if you would like more expansion in the future you could get the 4xmicrosd one and add as and when.

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #8,354 of 10,664
You will need to turn the ipod on and put hold on just before it boots into rockbox.  Connect it to the pc so it pops up with the drive, and then copy the music into your designated folder.  If you try to copy using rockbox, it will result in what you have found in skipping files! 

Holy crap, I have been racking my brains and googling for a good few days trying to figure out why my music was skipping all over the place at random intervals (regardless of file type and size) and then just happened to stumble over your comment randomly today. Is it the rb usb driver that's messing things up? I'm assuming that by booting to OF and transferring things there makes use of apple's driver which is superior? I'm noticing that transfers also don't seem to hang like they did with the rb driver.

In any case thanks for providing a solution on here, literally just made an account to say thanks.

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #8,355 of 10,664
Holy crap, I have been racking my brains and googling for a good few days trying to figure out why my music was skipping all over the place at random intervals (regardless of file type and size) and then just happened to stumble over your comment randomly today. Is it the rb usb driver that's messing things up? I'm assuming that by booting to OF and transferring things there makes use of apple's driver which is superior? I'm noticing that transfers also don't seem to hang like they did with the rb driver.

In any case thanks for providing a solution on here, literally just made an account to say thanks.

Pretty much spot on about the rockbox driver. I myself didn't figure it out until someone else posted in this thread awhile back.  Of course before that discovery I'd sent back the 256 sdxc card and now the prices are silly again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back