Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #8,311 of 10,664
Originally Posted by AudioPhilistine

hoping i can use this for more than parts, though — all i really wanted was the 64MB logic board!

If that's all you really want, sometimes it can be more economical to just buy a brand new board.
I'm sure you know about...... "onehttps://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160909042204&SearchText=logic+boards+ipod"
They have a choice of two currently for around $60 ea. There's the three week wait of course but e-bay's like a mine field - you may strike lucky first time
but then you may buy three or four cheapos all with dud boards.
You acquire a ton of spare parts but let's face it, everyone wants the 64MB logic board ! - it's like the 'holy grail' of spare parts !

PS...Anyone like me thought this modding lark would be a one-off ? I did my first conversion 3 years ago & I can't stop ! I think I'm addicted.

My first mod on my iPod was in 2009, had to replace the screen so I could even use it. A kid in highschool pushed me into a wall and smashed my screen, bent my pod too.

Since then I've done headphone jack and battery, I didn't even realise there was a community of modders until I saw a Reddit post. I'm so excited to finally get rid of my bent front cover and dented back cover. In my mind the extended battery and flash storage are just a bonus!

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #8,313 of 10,664
And done.... Finally got everything re-assembled. Alex was excellent to work with. My initial battery did not work, he sent me a replacement immediately and I just installed it.

I now have a 7th gen with 512gb (only 467gb after restore) with a 2000mah battery.

I also got a Kokkia BT adapter (30pin) and it works flawlessly connected to my car, headphones and jawbone speaker. Couldn't be happier with the end results!

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #8,314 of 10,664
And done.... Finally got everything re-assembled. Alex was excellent to work with. My initial battery did not work, he sent me a replacement immediately and I just installed it.

I now have a 7th gen with 512gb (only 467gb after restore) with a 2000mah battery.

I also got a Kokkia BT adapter (30pin) and it works flawlessly connected to my car, headphones and jawbone speaker. Couldn't be happier with the end results!

Where abouts did you order your battery from? Alex's website or his eBay? I tried to contact him via his website and it keeps returning an error? Also I'm unable to view his eBay store, it's empty when I look.

im worried about receiving a dud and not being able to contact him :/

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #8,316 of 10,664
Hi, I was building my music library with flac only, and I did not expect that my music would be more than 128 gb.  I have a 128 gb  card right now, and I can sell it .

So my question is, how much can a cf /SD adapter support ?  256 gb or 512 gb ?

Thanks.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #8,320 of 10,664
  Unfortunately, I believe those adapters generally max out at 128GB (as stated somewhere in this thread).

Thanks , I will probably have to swith to quad adapter, 2 x 128  gb card full stealth black frontplate / backplate, 2000 mah battery, black hold jack ... **** this thread, I just wanted to spend  like 50 $ at the begining ...
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #8,321 of 10,664

Thanks , I will probably have to swith to quad adapter, 2 x 128  gb card full stealth black frontplate / backplate, 2000 mah battery, black hold jack ... **** this thread, I just wanted to spend  like 50 $ at the begining ...
biggrin.gif

This is headfi remember.  Oh it starts off all innocent and then rapidly goes downhill (but it is fun along the way!).

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #8,322 of 10,664
I've recently got into trying to use RockBox with my iFlash Solo w/ SanDisk Ultra 128 GB SDXC Class 10 Card in an iPod Video 5.5G 80GB (64mb RAM).

Whilst installation of RockBox goes smoothly, play back of files results in skipping halfway through songs and crashing. This is using FLAC and apple lossless files.

Interestingly, when using the original HDD I have no such problems. The SD card is brand new as I had the same problems with my old one but this has not fixed the issue. Does anyone know of any configuration needed to get Rockbox to run well using an iFlash adapter or a fork of the firmware intended for just this purpose?

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #8,323 of 10,664
  I've recently got into trying to use RockBox with my iFlash Solo w/ SanDisk Ultra 128 GB SDXC Class 10 Card in an iPod Video 5.5G 80GB (64mb RAM).

Whilst installation of RockBox goes smoothly, play back of files results in skipping halfway through songs and crashing. This is using FLAC and apple lossless files.

Interestingly, when using the original HDD I have no such problems. The SD card is brand new as I had the same problems with my old one but this has not fixed the issue. Does anyone know of any configuration needed to get Rockbox to run well using an iFlash adapter or a fork of the firmware intended for just this purpose?

You will need to turn the ipod on and put hold on just before it boots into rockbox.  Connect it to the pc so it pops up with the drive, and then copy the music into your designated folder.  If you try to copy using rockbox, it will result in what you have found in skipping files! 

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #8,324 of 10,664
I've had similar problems when using SD cards with 'some' Gen5 ipods (regardless of the RAM). The latest was on a dualSD PNY TeraPod build. For me, the problem appeared to be during the upload of the files, because if I erased the offending files, they can often be reloaded to the ipod often without the skipping problem. However, I got so tired of dealing with this issue, I disassembed the ipod and moved the dualSD to a Gen7.

Interestingly, this problem does not occur with the Classic (Gen7 or Gen6.5) using the same set up: 2x500gb PNY ElitePerformance SD in a Tarkan DualSD. In August, I built two rigs, one Gen6.5 and one Gen7, and installed the latest beta build of Rockbox Classic. The Gen7 has a standard ipod battery, I think it was 600mAh, and the Gen6.5 has a 3000mAh battery. Both perform like a charm.

For kicks, I also built three SD ipod mini's - one with 64gb (works great), one with 128 gb (ditto) and one with 250 gb (Lexar). The Lexar has been in every other generation (except the mini) and the performance is generally lacking, so I wanted to test it. I loaded 52,000 songs and apparently overwhelmed the database because it came up blank once the load had completed. I am loading it again (pictured) with 46,000 songs to see it if I can "fly" under the database limit (assuming this is the issue, of course).

I also built a Samsung 1T mSATA in a Tarkan adapter on a 32RAM Gen5. I loaded about 700gb externally (not thru the ipod but directly to the chip). I wasn't absolutely convinced this configuration was a dud even though I have had issues with the 32RAM boards in the past. Nevertheless, it failed after two days and shows a data abort now at 0005B140 when Rockbox tries to load. Cest la vie.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back