Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 28, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #8,371 of 10,664
Just finished my install. Tarkan quad, 64GB Kingston microSD (don't need anymore than 60GB..for now), New front cover, new scroll wheel, new back cover and one of Alex's super batteries inside the standard 30GB enclosure. Thing works an absolute treat, I completely forgot what it felt like to not have an iPod held together with duct tape and pieces that constantly fell out of it. Changing the scroll wheel made me pretty nervous, man the board is really stuck down to the frame. White scroll wheel on a black front looks quite nice IMO.

Sep 28, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #8,373 of 10,664
Thanks to everyone on this thread for the inspiration. Now I'll attempt to mod my gen 5 30 gig. In spite of my tater fingers, am able to open it without issues. Just a recap. Insert my San disk 256 sdxc in the Tarkan bundled firmly. Following the instruction posted on YouTube by Macsales. Should I Rockbox 1st duelboot? Do I reformat the card with AOMEI? Or does Rockbox address that issue. Also planning on replacing the battery while it's open.oh btw there is music on it already is that a concearn

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #8,374 of 10,664
Should I Rockbox 1st duelboot? Do I reformat the card with AOMEI? Or does Rockbox address that issue. Also planning on replacing the battery while it's open.oh btw there is music on it already is that a concearn

You don't need to use Rockbox unless you want the features Rockbox has - FLAC playback, drag and drop file management for loading your music etc.  The stock firmware is fine if you don't want to deal with it - and you can always change later.  Once you put the card/adapter into it and boot it up, you'll have to connect it to iTunes, at which point it should reformat the SD and be ready to load your music from iTunes or whatever iPod compatible media library you've got.

Sep 28, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #8,375 of 10,664
Rockbox is appealing and I do have a ton of flac files. So it is a must. But mostly the capacity and expandability. I also have a 6th g 160 that I'll keep original. And my preferred Dx90 for the sound signature. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #8,376 of 10,664
Figured I'd post this here. Thanks to the sata board I've able to create a 3000mah battery "mod" due to the increased space. I didnt even need to use a extended back, the 60gb back works a treat.

Battery I used was a Asus C11P1501 Zenfone 2 battery. It meets the requirements for an ipod 5g battery and fits juuuuuuust right with the sata board. I had to remove parts of the plastic of the battery where there was empty space, and remove the rubber spacer under the headphone jack flex cable, and clip a part of the metal frame. But after those pretty minor mods the battery fits and closes. Charges and works!

PS my camera shows an odd shadow on the screen that isnt there in person.   

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #8,377 of 10,664
anyone have any advice re: an 80GB Video that's stuck on the faint Apple logo? i can get iTunes to recognize it and sync music in disk mode, but it keeps rebooting (won't complete reboot) into a faint, disappearing/reappearing Apple logo.

i got it cheap; seller said "no sound via headphones" and when i received it the UI worked but no sound through headphone jack or dock connector. i swapped in a working backplate (batt + headphone/hold) and working Tarkan adapter but now it's stuck in reboot cycle.

i'm thinking the logic board is toast. any ideas welcome.

I had this issue and the problem was the zif connector on the ipod mobo. I just took it out and re-positioned it and the ipod worked fine afterward.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #8,378 of 10,664
Figured I'd post this here. Thanks to the sata board I've able to create a 3000mah battery "mod" due to the increased space. I didnt even need to use a extended back, the 60gb back works a treat.

Battery I used was a Asus C11P1501 Zenfone 2 battery. It meets the requirements for an ipod 5g battery and fits juuuuuuust right with the sata board. I had to remove parts of the plastic of the battery where there was empty space, and remove the rubber spacer under the headphone jack flex cable, and clip a part of the metal frame. But after those pretty minor mods the battery fits and closes. Charges and works!

I cant post pictures yet, so I will just post an imgur link to the work. 

http://imgur.com/a/McFpn

PS my camera shows an odd shadow on the screen that isnt there in person. [COLOR=333333]  [/COLOR]

It's nice to see that there are still new things happening. Was your mSATA drive loaded before or did you put all your music on it with the new battery in it?

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #8,379 of 10,664

Looks cool, how did you connect the battery to the logic board?

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #8,380 of 10,664
It's nice to see that there are still new things happening. Was your mSATA drive loaded before or did you put all your music on it with the new battery in it?

msata was formated and loaded before the new battery. ive had issues with it though shorting out the ipod (before putting in the new battery). I think I may have damaged the flex cable at some point and have ordered a new one. 

Looks cool, how did you connect the battery to the logic board?

i was able to attach the battery flex cable to the new battery. .01mm shorter and I wouldn't have been able to do it this way.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #8,381 of 10,664
  msata was formated and loaded before the new battery. ive had issues with it though shorting out the ipod (before putting in the new battery). I think I may have damaged the flex cable at some point and have ordered a new one. 

i was able to attach the battery flex cable to the new battery. .01mm shorter and I wouldn't have been able to do it this way.

looks nice, any reason for not connecting the thermistor pin? 

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #8,383 of 10,664
  It was giving me issues with the pin connected. After I power cycle the battery a few times if I feel its needed I'll be redoing it by removing the pcb inside the asus battery and using the one found in the ipod batteries. Which might be the better way to do it regardless. 

that's how i did it, i used the ribbon and the chip from a dead iPod battery on a 1900mah alex battery that i damaged the ribbon end :)

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #8,385 of 10,664
I've recently bought a 2000mAh battery for a 5.5 gen, now i notice apple provides a 5watt charger for ipods/iphones, a 10watt for ipads and a 12watt for ipads with retina display. Would it be safe to use a  12watt charger with the new 2000mAh battery to charge it faster ? Or would it reduce the batteries discharge time with usage or its probable lifespan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back