Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #7,591 of 10,664
Apr 5, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #7,592 of 10,664

Probably is that.  I've had that happen.  I have a suspicion that the dual adaptor can press very slightly too much on the back of the screen.  I found removing and reinserting the screen cable seemed to fix it.

Hmmm, disconnecting and reconnecting the cables seemed to work at first when the iPod was out of its case.

But as soon as I put it back in its case, and especially after I strapped it back onto my Fiio E17 with the Fiio rubber bands, the problem came back.

Is it possible that the iPod case and rubber bands are putting too much strain or pressure on something in the iPod itself?

Is there a way to pad out the inside of the iPod to stop things moving around too much (which I think might be part of the problem)?

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #7,593 of 10,664
  Hmmm, disconnecting and reconnecting the cables seemed to work at first when the iPod was out of its case.

But as soon as I put it back in its case, and especially after I strapped it back onto my Fiio E17 with the Fiio rubber bands, the problem came back.

Is it possible that the iPod case and rubber bands are putting too much strain or pressure on something in the iPod itself?

Is there a way to pad out the inside of the iPod to stop things moving around too much (which I think might be part of the problem)?

Original hard drives come fitted with foam pads. I recently realised why the one that presses against the screen has an L-shaped hole cut out. It's to avoid pressure on the screen ribbon cable.

Try fitting one of these foam pads or improvise if you don't have the original hard drive.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #7,597 of 10,664
The file table is where the computer (iPod) stores the record of where and how big the files are (an so how to find them.)  It's one reason you don't get the advertised amount of space on a hard drive (931 gigs out of 1 terabyte etc.)  For a 128 gig card, you should have around 110 gigs available.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #7,599 of 10,664
  Finished up another 5.5 gen.  Shaved down the 5.5 frame to fit the 6th gen space gray face plate, black wheel, space gray button, thick back powder coated satin black, 20000mah battery and Tarkan's dual SD adapter.  Running rockbox with my xhibition theme.  Really happy with this setup.

Beautifully done. How are you transferring files onto the device? When I used a 256GB SD card, I had problems with using Rockbox, and even battled using the stock OF.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #7,600 of 10,664

Beautifully done. How are you transferring files onto the device? When I used a 256GB SD card, I had problems with using Rockbox, and even battled using the stock OF.

Thanks!  What issues were you having?  I managed a very large collection of music, like most here, for a really long period of time.  I was only listening to a small percentage of what I had and the rest was getting in the way. I finally decided to start over in the FLAC format a few years ago and add and remove as I go, keeping the collection small and refined.  I have been hovering around 100GB. I haven't been had any issues with rockbox, but you are obviously managing a lot more files than I am.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #7,601 of 10,664

Thanks!  What issues were you having?  I managed a very large collection of music, like most here, for a really long period of time.  I was only listening to a small percentage of what I had and the rest was getting in the way. I finally decided to start over in the FLAC format a few years ago and add and remove as I go, keeping the collection small and refined.  I have been hovering around 100GB. I haven't been had any issues with rockbox, but you are obviously managing a lot more files than I am.

If I booted up in RB and connected to my Windows 8 PC, and transferred files, they would be corrupted when I tried to play them back (they would stutter and skip). I tried booting in the OF and dragging and dropping onto the drive, per the advice I got from a few folks, and then booting up in RB again. I still had issues. I then tried using the iPod manager in Foobar and the OF. This worked a little better, but I still had some files getting corrupted.

It only worked using iTunes and the OF, which was a no-go for me. I use FLAC primarily, so it would have meant converting everything to ALAC.

I only got success when I switched out the 256GB SD card for two 64GB micro-SD cards in SD card adaptors and used the iPod manager in Foobar. This isn't ideal, as I don't have that massive capacity I wanted, and I still have Foobar converting my FLAC to ALAC as it adds files to the device....time-consuming...

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #7,602 of 10,664

If I booted up in RB and connected to my Windows 8 PC, and transferred files, they would be corrupted when I tried to play them back (they would stutter and skip). I tried booting in the OF and dragging and dropping onto the drive, per the advice I got from a few folks, and then booting up in RB again. I still had issues. I then tried using the iPod manager in Foobar and the OF. This worked a little better, but I still had some files getting corrupted.

It only worked using iTunes and the OF, which was a no-go for me. I use FLAC primarily, so it would have meant converting everything to ALAC.

I only got success when I switched out the 256GB SD card for two 64GB micro-SD cards in SD card adaptors and used the iPod manager in Foobar. This isn't ideal, as I don't have that massive capacity I wanted, and I still have Foobar converting my FLAC to ALAC as it adds files to the device....time-consuming...

That's odd.  I am running windows 7 on the machine I used to update my iPod, using 2 64GB SD cards as well and I copied and pasted all 100GBs just using explorer in one shot.  Haven't found a single corrupted file yet.   I noticed Tarkan says on his site "on average there is only 20% difference in runtimes between Single card use and Dual card use".  I have a single 128GB micro SD I am not using, I figured I might as well swap the 2 64GB out for that and decrease my battery usage by 20%.  I can report back if any of those problems arise for me during that process.  Not sure why you ran into those issues.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #7,603 of 10,664

That's odd.  I am running windows 7 on the machine I used to update my iPod, using 2 64GB SD cards as well and I copied and pasted all 100GBs just using explorer in one shot.  Haven't found a single corrupted file yet.   I noticed Tarkan says on his site "on average there is only 20% difference in runtimes between Single card use and Dual card use".  I have a single 128GB micro SD I am not using, I figured I might as well swap the 2 64GB out for that and decrease my battery usage by 20%.  I can report back if any of those problems arise for me during that process.  Not sure why you ran into those issues.

It could be the iPod...it was in minty shape when I got it, but it's a 30GB 5.5 gen...possibly something to do with the RAM? Not sure. I think I need to hit the RB forums and see what I can find out...

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #7,604 of 10,664

It could be the iPod...it was in minty shape when I got it, but it's a 30GB 5.5 gen...possibly something to do with the RAM? Not sure. I think I need to hit the RB forums and see what I can find out...

Could the brand of the card be an issue?  They aren't all equal (I'd only ever use PNY now).  It seems as if the sdxc spec isn't nailed-down, as cards by different makers behave differently, especially with rockbox.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #7,605 of 10,664

Could the brand of the card be an issue?  They aren't all equal (I'd only ever use PNY now).  It seems as if the sdxc spec isn't nailed-down, as cards by different makers behave differently, especially with rockbox.

It was a PNY unfortunately :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back