Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 19, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #5,387 of 10,664
  If you're at all interested, this is my current foobar config:

The default UI mode is extremely basic and completely adjustable. Most people use skins though.

I just had some file transfer trouble again with Rockbox but nothing near as device-crippling as before. You're probably right about the 5G being more stable. I've got a 5G lying open here too, and the plan was too install the 7G's 160 HDD and sell it. I'm tempted to switch and use the 5G as my main device, though.

Just came here to say I am going to try and move on from iTunes!  The last straw is discovering that iTunes turns all your jpeg cover art that you embed into stupid png format (which Rockbox's otherwise very nice coverflow plugin can't read).

Had to extract all the art with mp3tag, then convert it all from png to jpeg with another utility.  Now I have to worry that iTunes will turn it all back into png again!

What I ideally want is some sort of open-source, totally non-proprietary thing that won't constantly think it knows better than I do, but will do what I tell it.

I'll give foobar a try (though its not open-source, I guess its fairly benevolent, right?)

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #5,388 of 10,664
Re: iTunes - I'm staying on Mac OS 10.8 in order to keep using iTunes 10.7. When Apple killed USB sync, that was the last straw for me (even though they put it back). As far as I'm aware, it's still impossible to sync Safari Bookmarks in later versions. 

New topic:
I just added a WiFi SD card reader to my iPod Photo! The iPod and PQI Air Card both work together very well. 
As an iPod, it's working fine with an Apple-formatted SD card. Battery life is excellent. Rockbox also works. 
I can also take an SD card from a friend's camera. The iPod won't then boot, but it provides power to the PQI Air Card, which shares the photos over a local WiFi network. I can then copy the photos using my iPhone, like an AirStash. 
The PQI Air Card usually needs a microSD, but I've got an SD-to-microSD adaptor in there. Then, for my iPod-formatted card, I've got a microSD-to-USB-and-SD "Trio" card. So it's also a USB memory stick. 
Everything fits inside the thick 40GB back case. 

All the parts are shown on the following image:
http://i.imgur.com/HJrjVda.jpg
In order:
16GB microSD -> Trio (microSD F to USB M and SD M) -> SD F to microSD M -> PQI Air Card (microSD F to SD M and WiFi) -> SD F to CF adaptor -> CF F to iPod hard drive (like iFlash, but for 4th generation iPods) -> iPod Photo. 
I'm still waiting for my iFlash kit to be delivered (it's been over 1 month waiting for it to ship to Taiwan so far). When it arrives, I'll let you know when I get this working with the iPod Video! I'll miss FireWire and the old iPod remote, but I'd like to be able to use the lyrics feature. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #5,389 of 10,664
Hey rgarjr,

Well, I don't know the trick on how to quote.....

So I answer like that.

My Ipod was definitly not recognized by itunes.   The trick actually was to format it again on fat32.
After that I thought all is OK.
Tried to fill the ipod up completely.

Around 60_some GB the sync stopped on its own.   "It froze"?
I was able to disconnect the ipod and started charging the battery.

All that was last night.

This morning I wanted to go on syncing, but after approximately syncing 20 songs the syncing "froze"/stopped again.
And windows showed me the "window" check and scan disk?!?

I definitly know the HD is OK.

So long,
JULIA

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,391 of 10,664
Hello originalsnuffy,

yes, I had taken that one out from my first ever bought 160gb classic.
That particular HD was working normal with the original ipod it was in.

But what I found out - checking the internet and saw when I was checking how fast songs are syncing (music on ipod), was that there are files that are syncing extremely slow others are transferring on a normal speed.

Someone in the net wrote that he erased those files/albums and re-ripped them again.
After that everything was alright.

The only thing here is I wouldn't know how certain files in my library could have gotten "corrupted".

I just waited for those "slow" files to pass through and now everything is fine _______  I HOPE!

Bye,
JULIA

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #5,392 of 10,664
Does anyone experience lag (sometimes up to 10 seconds) when they try to change tracks on their ipod? When I had a 240GB hard drive in my 5.5g ipod I put it down to the hard drive but when I moved to the 480GB crucial ssd I still experience lag. Is it my settings? Any ideas?

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,394 of 10,664
I've been doing these ssd mods for a while and just scooped up a few more dead iPods to do up. One of them has a broken skip button so I ask if anyone here has a completely dead logic board. It can be cracked, literally sawed in half, I just need a clicky button. Is it possible I could buy one of anyone here? I'm in the uk. Thanks

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #5,399 of 10,664
Quote:
  I think iv'e been a bit confusing with my post about the broken button. It's the button on the logic board that needs replacing, not anything to do with the clickwheel.

I think I have a failed logic board somewhwere, but am in such a chaotic mess with spare parts and half-repaired ipods that can't figure out right now which bits I want to get rid of.  Am in danger of losing track which parts work and which don't.

I've seen dead logic boards go on ebay for a pittance (there's a joblot of 8 of them on there at the moment), I bet you could find one on there before long.  Are the switches the same for 5th, 6th and 7th gens?

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,400 of 10,664
T
Quote:

I think I have a failed logic board somewhwere, but am in such a chaotic mess with spare parts and half-repaired ipods that can't figure out right now which bits I want to get rid of.  Am in danger of losing track which parts work and which don't.

I've seen dead logic boards go on ebay for a pittance (there's a joblot of 8 of them on there at the moment), I bet you could find one on there before long.  Are the switches the same for 5th, 6th and 7th gens?

They all use the same switches. The problem with buying one on eBay means I'll probably end up trying to repair it and sink more money into a whole iPod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back