Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #5,401 of 10,664
Good evening,

I apologize for this question as I'm sure somewhere in the 360 pages the answer is there, I just can't seem to find it. So I have a 30gb iPod video 5th generation thin (NOT 5.5) and I'd like to install a 256gb SSD. The issue that I'm having is I cannot find any information on Google or on the thread for exactly what to purchase. I know I need a SSD and an adaptor which Ive noticed everyone recommends the adaptor from Tarkan. But which SSD is compatible in terms of specs? I know you can't just buy any SSD and throw it in there. And exactly which adaptor from Tarkan do I need to make this work? Additionally am I able to install a higher capacity SSD like a 320 with no performance issues? What is the highest storage size you can go using SSD on this model? I'd also like to know if I will have a problem using rock box for the storage I'm wanting on the iPod? I know how to do the installation so I can manage that. Sorry again for the newbie question. Any help or information would be much appreciated. I've been trying to find the information on my own for over a week.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #5,402 of 10,664
it has been recommended that from [0-256GB to go with SDXC or Compact Flash] -  [256-1TB go with mSATA].  So 256GB is right smack in the middle so you can get either one of the 2.  mSATA SSDs like to eat power so some users offset this by installing a big battery.  

Samsung EVOs, Crucial, MyDigitalSSD are the most popular brands to get for mSATA.  

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #5,404 of 10,664
Does anyone experience lag (sometimes up to 10 seconds) when they try to change tracks on their ipod? When I had a 240GB hard drive in my 5.5g ipod I put it down to the hard drive but when I moved to the 480GB crucial ssd I still experience lag. Is it my settings? Any ideas?

I have had that quite a lot, but always together with other glitches and to the extent that Rockbox would become unusable.

Have you tried installing the latest Rockbox build through RockboxUtility? The 16 March one solved a lot for me.

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #5,405 of 10,664
Any help or information would be much appreciated. I've been trying to find the information on my own for over a week.

I know the feeling, fishing information from garbled messages in a thread this large. So, glad to help.

About Rockbox and performance: so far I've experienced, performance is great. I think the machine's got enough power (with Rockbox) to hold up a TB, but I've only got a half-filled 500GB EVO, so I don't know for sure.

You probably know this, but if you wanna use anything above 128GB depending on your model in a 6G or 7G 120GB, you HAVE to use Rockbox. Check
http://www.tarkan.info/20140804/tutorials/howto-install-rockbox-on-the-ipod-classics

Rockbox/emCore are difficult beasts though. It's only recently that I've made progress towards an iPod that's actually usable. If the SSD is to blame, I don't know, though I don't think so.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #5,406 of 10,664
1600 kHz

So the regular 5th gen thin can support up to 20000 songs regardsless of the SSD size unless I use rockbox? Im just going off of what another user said as well. I need Tarkans mSATA adaptor to make this work? Could anyone link me some SSD's
That will for sure work if I purchase them from the 256gb to 500gb range? Remember this is for the regular 5th generation video thin. Thanks again for all the replies!

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5,407 of 10,664
For a 5gen thin 30gb: The 30GB 5G iPod uses the 1763 board with 32MB RAM.

If you want 256gb go with SDXC memory and tarkan. Longer run times with stock battery.

As mentioned there is a compatibility chart on the tarkan site for proven 256gb SD card brands.

If you want over 256gb go with mSATA. 

YMMV

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #5,408 of 10,664
Thank you for the reply.

So I know about the PNY class 10 SDXC proven method.
But let's just say I was really wanting SSD? I hear that not just anything would work. I'm aware of the most popular brands to get while doing this mod but I keep hearing things like "zif" or "3.3V" if I was to mod 3 different iPod video 5th generation thin (not 5.5) using these 3 SSD sizes and rockbox
256gb
320gb
420gb
Which specific SSD's for sure work? I apologize again but when searching key works on Tarkan it never turns out a result.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #5,409 of 10,664
Thank you for the reply.

So I know about the PNY class 10 SDXC proven method.
But let's just say I was really wanting SSD? I hear that not just anything would work. I'm aware of the most popular brands to get while doing this mod but I keep hearing things like "zif" or "3.3V" if I was to mod 3 different iPod video 5th generation thin (not 5.5) using these 3 SSD sizes and rockbox
256gb
320gb
420gb
Which specific SSD's for sure work? I apologize again but when searching key works on Tarkan it never turns out a result.

Really no such thing as 320 and 420GB mSATA cards from what I've seen.

I can confirm compatibility with the MyDigitalSSD BP4e 512GB drive, which gets knocked down to 480GB (gross) after over-provisioning, and when formatted in the iPod yields about 446GB of useable storage space.

Do use the 2000mah battery with this or any mSATA card for best results.

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #5,411 of 10,664
@MikeyFresh

Perfect that's exaclty the kind of example I'm looking for!
What about for a 256gb specifically. Could you also recommend a SSD size in the middle range between the 256gb and 512gb if it exists? Thanks again for all the help I really want to try this out!

I've only used the PNY SDXC card in the 256GB size, so no actual experience with the 256GB mSATA cards.
I know a couple of different users reported the same good result I had with the BP4e 512GB mSATA card, only they had used the 256GB version. They both work.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #5,412 of 10,664
I have had that quite a lot, but always together with other glitches and to the extent that Rockbox would become unusable.

Have you tried installing the latest Rockbox build through RockboxUtility? The 16 March one solved a lot for me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am using the the beyondwind patched build of v3.13 as I have a 480GB ssd. Where would I find the March 16th version and will it work with ssd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back