Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 17, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #5,371 of 10,664
Serial # really does you no good. The serial number can also be found in the info or "about" menu of the iPod system itself. I wouldn't worry about what's printed on the back of the case. Especially if you decided to upgrade the HDD to an SD card or something like that.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #5,372 of 10,664
  For what it's worth:

I tested this bigger battery :

From Amazon the battery is:  eForCity Li-Ion Replacement Battery Compatible With Apple iPod Video 60G / 80G (fat battery versions) for $7.89. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A4Q8JM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in the 5gen and Tarkan device with fat case back. Works fine.

The battery is labeled 1300mAh but I never trust the cheap battery with high mAh.

I have not tested the run times but it did work for me and connect up no problem.
The 4mm is the stock aftermarket 5gen battery. 

YMMV.

I though I have one of this but just measured my battery and it is 7mm which is 850mAh, 9mm may be around 1000mAh, but 1300mAh is like most (not all, but most) of stuff from china fake and wrong advertised.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #5,373 of 10,664
Anybody know why the SD card prices have spiked?  I wonder if there was some kind of temporary issue vs. a longer lasting issue (such as currency fluctuations).

Maybe Noodles can go in to the SD card arbitrage business to pay for our crazy hobby.

I put one of those Eforcity batteries into my 5.5g ipod and I agree that it was something like 850 mAh.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #5,374 of 10,664
  Anybody know why the SD card prices have spiked?  I wonder if there was some kind of temporary issue vs. a longer lasting issue (such as currency fluctuations).

Maybe Noodles can go in to the SD card arbitrage business to pay for our crazy hobby.

I put one of those Eforcity batteries into my 5.5g ipod and I agree that it was something like 850 mAh.

Well all of the ones i bought were anywhere from $80-$100 were being sold directly via Amazon.  The ones selling now are not being fulfilled by Amazon.

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #5,375 of 10,664
On the 5gen Ipod, fat case, I did the "One Song Battery Test" medium volume on headphone jack, over night and I got 17 hours from that 9mm battery from Amazon.

Hope that helps. 

That's close to the factory numbers but better than the 5gen.

APPLE Specs:

Battery Type:    Lithium Ion    Battery Life (Music):    
14 Hours, 20 Hours

Details:    
The 30 GB model provides "up to" 14 hours of music playback
and the 80 GB model "up to" 20 hours of music playback.

my2cents

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #5,376 of 10,664

Computer memory does the same thing, goes up and down. Supply and demand.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,377 of 10,664
  I might have a closer look at foobar eventually.

I'm actually a bit confused about the whole ssd/rockbox business.  Before I _was_ using beyondwind's patch, but still found it near impossible to get data onto a 7th gen without corruption.  But switching to a 5th gen seemed to make it far more reliable, and I think I'm now using just the latest rockbox without any patching (though now I can't remember if I put the latest release on the 5th gen ssd or only on the 7th gen sdxc and hd ones).

If you're at all interested, this is my current foobar config:

The default UI mode is extremely basic and completely adjustable. Most people use skins though.

I just had some file transfer trouble again with Rockbox but nothing near as device-crippling as before. You're probably right about the 5G being more stable. I've got a 5G lying open here too, and the plan was too install the 7G's 160 HDD and sell it. I'm tempted to switch and use the 5G as my main device, though.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #5,379 of 10,664
i was fortunate to grab a PNY 256GB SDXC card when they were still only $80 via Amazon Prime and now have it working with a Tarkan adapter in my 30GB Video. working great so far. no issues formatting (Mac) and it loaded 10k+ songs in one sync session without a hiccup. :cool:

i'm using one of those Insten/eForcity "900 maH" batteries. only been a couple charge cycles so far. i doubt its capacity is as advertised but for $5 it's a cheap experiment.

ps: found that using one of these dental picks makes the delicate operation of unplugging the battery cable a bit easier:

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #5,380 of 10,664
i was fortunate to grab a PNY 256GB SDXC card when they were still only $80 via Amazon Prime and now have it working with a Tarkan adapter in my 30GB Video. working great so far. no issues formatting (Mac) and it loaded 10k+ songs in one sync session without a hiccup.
cool.gif

i'm using one of those Insten/eForcity "900 maH" batteries. only been a couple charge cycles so far. i doubt its capacity is as advertised but for $5 it's a cheap experiment.

ps: found that using one of these dental picks makes the delicate operation of unplugging the battery cable a bit easier:

hehe, nice hook :D

I use this:

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #5,382 of 10,664
Hey everybody,

well, I was able to get an ipod classic 160gb thin version for an OK price.
wink.gif

Suggested was a HD failure. Having received it today, yeah the HD sounded weird and the "red x" kept showing and I cannot get it into disk mode.
mad.gif

I decided to open the ipod, exchange it with one of my "old" HD from the same model (there is music on there already).
rolleyes.gif

After starting the ipod I saw it's in a "boot loop" - HD wants to start but then it stops. The same process happened over and over again.
So I put it into disk mode.

Being in disk mode the ipod doesn't show up in itunes - but I see it, when opening my "computer tab" - where all the drives show up.

Do you experienced modders have an idea what I can do now?

I mean get the ipod out of the boot loop and that itunes will recognize it again?

Maybe as simple as formatting the drive in windows?

Greets,
JULIA

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,384 of 10,664
iTunes can definitely see the iPod when it's in Disk Mode.  Try restoring the iPod when in Disk Mode.  Try removing the hard drive ribbon cable and resetting it again. 

Quote:
  Hey everybody,

well, I was able to get an ipod classic 160gb thin version for an OK price.
wink.gif

Suggested was a HD failure. Having received it today, yeah the HD sounded weird and the "red x" kept showing and I cannot get it into disk mode.
mad.gif

I decided to open the ipod, exchange it with one of my "old" HD from the same model (there is music on there already).
rolleyes.gif

After starting the ipod I saw it's in a "boot loop" - HD wants to start but then it stops. The same process happened over and over again.
So I put it into disk mode.

Being in disk mode the ipod doesn't show up in itunes - but I see it, when opening my "computer tab" - where all the drives show up.

Do you experienced modders have an idea what I can do now?

I mean get the ipod out of the boot loop and that itunes will recognize it again?

Maybe as simple as formatting the drive in windows?

Greets,
JULIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back