Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #5,356 of 10,664
What version of rockbox are you using?

And what is windows robocopy?

(1) not sure, but the latest ones for the classic and the video, that I downloaded couple of days ago.

(2) its part of Windows, a command-line-utlity.  Used right it copies only changed and new files, and deletes from the target any files no longer on the source, and writes a log file to tell you what it did.  Which is pretty much all you need for synching an entire library.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,357 of 10,664
  Ugh, yes, I know what you mean. If you've never looked into foobar2000 before, you should really try it out. It's by far the most lightweight, to-the-point and full-featured player out there.

Been using foobar since before it acquried the '2000' - but ONLY for fixing vbr headers and decoding flacs.  Never really thought about it for anything else (possibly it didn't do anything much else back when I started using it!).  For the time being I'm fine with iTunes as a music file manager (the one thing I find the iTunes store is good for is free podcasts!)

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #5,358 of 10,664
Just updating here on my battery problem. I've been playing an album on repeat for the last six hours so it's definitely working. Like I already hoped, the only problem's that I can't see how full the battery actually is. At the moment Rockbox seems to like a 'connected' battery picture, but it changes :wink:

(it's not actually connected, haha)

I realise now though I've been playing without having my headphones attached, and that it's the headphones that draw the majority of the power. Am I correct?

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #5,359 of 10,664
I am a big believer in Rockbox.  There is a fairly large gap in timing between "official releases" and daily build releases.

To confuse matters more, if one is using a SSD card (not the SD card) in a modified ipod, then one should really use the Beyond Wind patches which fix some usb timeout issues.

My experience is that flac transfers to the modified ipod go better under IOS, then one should re-boot to Rockbox for playback.

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #5,360 of 10,664
  I am a big believer in Rockbox.  There is a fairly large gap in timing between "official releases" and daily build releases.

To confuse matters more, if one is using a SSD card (not the SD card) in a modified ipod, then one should really use the Beyond Wind patches which fix some usb timeout issues.

My experience is that flac transfers to the modified ipod go better under IOS, then one should re-boot to Rockbox for playback.

I've mentioned this a few times before but I don't think you need to use the Beyondwind patch when you have a 5G Classic. He pushed the code for that one to the Rockbox Gerrit a while ago.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,361 of 10,664
Can anyone confirm whether an 850mAh battery can be used in a 30GB iPod Video (512 byte sector version) as long as the backplate has been replaced to accommodate the thicker battery? The 580mAh isn't stable enough to power my 1TB EVO. I get random reboots, lockups, and shutdowns. I jumped the gun in returning a 850mAh battery that I bought because after installing it, I was getting the sad face, but I think that might have been a drive configuration issue and not the battery.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #5,362 of 10,664
I have heard these work without changing the backing.  Whether they are actually 900mAh is another story.

http://www.amazon.com/Insten%C2%AE-900mAh-Battery-Replacement-Compatible/dp/B005KW9LI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426550565&sr=8-1&keywords=900mah+ipod+classic+battery

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #5,363 of 10,664
I might have a closer look at foobar eventually.

I'm actually a bit confused about the whole ssd/rockbox business.  Before I _was_ using beyondwind's patch, but still found it near impossible to get data onto a 7th gen without corruption.  But switching to a 5th gen seemed to make it far more reliable, and I think I'm now using just the latest rockbox without any patching (though now I can't remember if I put the latest release on the 5th gen ssd or only on the 7th gen sdxc and hd ones).

Hey, how do I tell which version of rockbox I'm actually running?  The number under 'rockbox info' doesn't actually say 3.13 or anything like that.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5,364 of 10,664
For what it's worth:

I tested this bigger battery :

From Amazon the battery is:  eForCity Li-Ion Replacement Battery Compatible With Apple iPod Video 60G / 80G (fat battery versions) for $7.89. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A4Q8JM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

in the 5gen and Tarkan device with fat case back. Works fine.

The battery is labeled 1300mAh but I never trust the cheap battery with high mAh.

I have not tested the run times but it did work for me and connect up no problem.
The 4mm is the stock aftermarket 5gen battery. 

YMMV.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #5,370 of 10,664
Hey I have a question, if I bought a used iPod classic and the back is scratched and I wanted to replace the back panel with a new back panel are there any manufactures who I could give the serial number of the old back panel to so it can get printed on the new back panel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back