Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #5,326 of 10,664
Yeah that way nuts to buy that card at that price.
biggrin.gif

No, just a different market... I imagine that the target market is pro photographers shooting high pixel count RAW images. Probably no crazier than the TerraPod crowd.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #5,330 of 10,664
Hi guys,

My question is probably repeated already a couple of times in this forum, but reading more than 350 pages is a little bit too much time consuming for me, so that's why I ask again here. I want to rebuild my Ipod Classic 160GB 7th generation. I already replaced the broken HDD with a 120GB version from another Classic, but that one seemed to have problems (broken clusters) as well. At that point I found this forum and saw it was actually possible to use another HDD than the standard one which comes with the Ipod, which is really interesting for me. I did read a few posts here and saw that the Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB was one of the best to get, is this right? And you also need a mSATA to ZIF adapter to make the connection compatible with the Ipod? Is this correct? Any more things I need to know?

Would be lovely if someone could help me out on this one. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,331 of 10,664
  Hi guys,

My question is probably repeated already a couple of times in this forum, but reading more than 350 pages is a little bit too much time consuming for me, so that's why I ask again here. I want to rebuild my Ipod Classic 160GB 7th generation. I already replaced the broken HDD with a 120GB version from another Classic, but that one seemed to have problems (broken clusters) as well. At that point I found this forum and saw it was actually possible to use another HDD than the standard one which comes with the Ipod, which is really interesting for me. I did read a few posts here and saw that the Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB was one of the best to get, is this right? And you also need a mSATA to ZIF adapter to make the connection compatible with the Ipod? Is this correct? Any more things I need to know?

Would be lovely if someone could help me out on this one. Thanks!

Best for 256GB iPod Classic is PNY 256GB SDXC card, Tarkans SDXC to CF adapter and Tarkans iFlash CF adapter....
Best for 500GB iPod Classic is Samsung 840 Evo 500GB and Tarkans iFlash mSata adapter (You will need 2000mAh battery and FireWire charger with Y double USB and firewire connection cable)... Or if you have lot of money you can try 512GB SanDisk SDXC card that could be better option...

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,333 of 10,664
  Has anyone tried the micro SD with an SD adapter inside the Tarken?

I see the micro SD 256gb as low as $55.00.

That would be nice.

ALL microSD 256GB are fake, there is non in production, only SanDisk has 200GB microSD and it costs about $350
only SanDisk was able to squeeze max 200GB on a tiny space, so its not even 2x the last max which was 128GB. 

Edit: corrected to 200GB

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #5,337 of 10,664
Hello,

I just read almost 100 pages of this thread, but I'm still unable to decide between mSata and SDXC for my iPod classic 7g.

The 2 choices for me are :

- Tarkan's iflash + Tarkan's CF-SD adapter + 256gb SD card (PNY)

- Tarkan's iflash-sata + 256gb mSata (EVO 840) + 2000mAh battery + thick back

I know both of these solutions are reported as working properly. However, I still have some questions :

- mSata drives are reported as running very hot when transfering data to the iPod. But is it the same when just listening to music?

- I am planning to run Rockbox. Beyondwind created a Rockbox patch to make it work with cheap mSata-ZIF adapters. Is this patch needed with Tarkan's iflash-sata? If yes, will it work flawlessly?
I was also unable to find feedback about Rockbox on a 7g 256gb SDXC mod. Can I expect such a mod to work without issues?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5,338 of 10,664
  Hello,

I just read almost 100 pages of this thread, but I'm still unable to decide between mSata and SDXC for my iPod classic 7g.

The 2 choices for me are :

- Tarkan's iflash + Tarkan's CF-SD adapter + 256gb SD card (PNY)

- Tarkan's iflash-sata + 256gb mSata (EVO 840) + 2000mAh battery + thick back

I know both of these solutions are reported as working properly. However, I still have some questions :

- mSata drives are reported as running very hot when transfering data to the iPod. But is it the same when just listening to music?

- I am planning to run Rockbox. Beyondwind created a Rockbox patch to make it work with cheap mSata-ZIF adapters. Is this patch needed with Tarkan's iflash-sata? If yes, will it work flawlessly?
I was also unable to find feedback about Rockbox on a 7g 256gb SDXC mod. Can I expect such a mod to work without issues?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

A few things.

- As far as I've gathered, you only need the Beyondwind patch if you're using a 6/7G Classic. Beyondwind (should have) added the 5G version of his patch to Rockbox. I haven't seen this confirmed though.

- I use a 500GB 840 EVO without any heat issues. I have some of other issues though.

Which brings me to a question of my own:

Has anyone had trouble like very slow menus, emCore boot errors, etc. after transferring files? I've been wrestling with my iPod for months. Sometimes it works, then I transfer new files and the whole system ****s up again.

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #5,339 of 10,664
About the 2000 mAh battery. I've had my battery connector resoldered a while ago. Now I haven't used the iPod much since then but the battery seems to either discharge very rapidly or not charge fully. Does this sound recognisable to anyone? Any chance it's something else than the connector?

Mar 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5,340 of 10,664
You mention resoldered.

Any pics, is there a chance the connection got grounded or something to create a small discharge? 

Also any chance the msata requires some power to maintain some kind of data or configuration of the device??

If the Ipod appeared off but sleeping then the battery will be be dead at some point in the future.

So if you just touch the center button or wheel then you see the screen turn on the ipod will run dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back