Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #5,341 of 10,664
mSATA drives only get hot when you're syncing lots of music into it.  When you're listening to the iPod it does not get warm at all.  

Quote:

I know both of these solutions are reported as working properly. However, I still have some questions :

- mSata drives are reported as running very hot when transfering data to the iPod. But is it the same when just listening to music?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #5,343 of 10,664
Hi guys,

My question is probably repeated already a couple of times in this forum, but reading more than 350 pages is a little bit too much time consuming for me, so that's why I ask again here. I want to rebuild my Ipod Classic 160GB 7th generation. I already replaced the broken HDD with a 120GB version from another Classic, but that one seemed to have problems (broken clusters) as well. At that point I found this forum and saw it was actually possible to use another HDD than the standard one which comes with the Ipod, which is really interesting for me. I did read a few posts here and saw that the Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB was one of the best to get, is this right? And you also need a mSATA to ZIF adapter to make the connection compatible with the Ipod? Is this correct? Any more things I need to know?

Would be lovely if someone could help me out on this one. Thanks!

Start by defining what is important to you. rockBox or iTunes? Less than or greater than 250gb? Thick or thin? Is long battery life important? Are you more interested in 5th gen video or 7th gen classics?

Mar 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #5,345 of 10,664
Hello,

I just read almost 100 pages of this thread, but I'm still unable to decide between mSata and SDXC for my iPod classic 7g.

The 2 choices for me are :

- Tarkan's iflash + Tarkan's CF-SD adapter + 256gb SD card (PNY)

- Tarkan's iflash-sata + 256gb mSata (EVO 840) + 2000mAh battery + thick back

I know both of these solutions are reported as working properly. However, I still have some questions :

- mSata drives are reported as running very hot when transfering data to the iPod. But is it the same when just listening to music?

- I am planning to run Rockbox. Beyondwind created a Rockbox patch to make it work with cheap mSata-ZIF adapters. Is this patch needed with Tarkan's iflash-sata? If yes, will it work flawlessly?
I was also unable to find feedback about Rockbox on a 7g 256gb SDXC mod. Can I expect such a mod to work without issues?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Only 100 pages? For shame. :wink:

MSata drives run hot during the loading. Otherwise they are fine. If you are building a 256gb, the most reliable builds are the Tarkan +sd adapter + 256gb sdxc (PNY and Lexar work great) and the Toshiba 240gb HD. The 256gb mSatas from Crucial and BulletProof, with the nod going to the BP for being cooler and more reliable. Put them in a Tarkan mSata adapter for best results. For all of these, the native iPod software is the most stable.

If you are going to RB, stay with the BeyondWind patches and in the 5th and 5.5gen for best results. Yes, you can RB a classic, but it can be a challenge to maintain. If You go above 256gb, RB is the only way.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #5,346 of 10,664
Start by defining what is important to you. rockBox or iTunes? Less than or greater than 250gb? Thick or thin? Is long battery life important? Are you more interested in 5th gen video or 7th gen classics?

Thanks guys for the reply. Rockbox is the way to go for me and I don't need more than 250 GB. If I could keep my original thin back it would be great. Long battery life is a plus and i've got a 7th gen classic atm.

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #5,347 of 10,664
Thanks guys for the reply. Rockbox is the way to go for me and I don't need more than 250 GB. If I could keep my original thin back it would be great. Long battery life is a plus and i've got a 7th gen classic atm.

If you are going to RB a classic, then I would put the mSata mod at the bottom of the list. I have classics with both the 250gb PNY SD and with the 240gb Toshiba HD mods running native iTunes firmware. They are excellent. Only the SD mod will keep the iPod thin.

My experience with RB on classics has not been good.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #5,348 of 10,664
  You mention resoldered.

Any pics, is there a chance the connection got grounded or something to create a small discharge? 

Also any chance the msata requires some power to maintain some kind of data or configuration of the device??

If the Ipod appeared off but sleeping then the battery will be be dead at some point in the future.

So if you just touch the center button or wheel then you see the screen turn on the ipod will run dead.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm now as good as certain it's the soldering. When connected to the PC, it shows its supposed battery level. Then after disconnecting it either just says it's empty (which it's not?), or that it's connected to a computer (which it's definitely not). Now let's hope it's only the icon that jumbled, and that the battery works fine.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #5,349 of 10,664
Hooray and celebrations!

I was trying to get my slow error-loving iPod to work just now when I updated to the latest Rockbox version. As far as I know, updating through RockboxUtility overwrites the complete Rockbox folder including the Beyondwind patch.

And what do you know? For the first time in ages it just WORKS. Quickly, flawlessly. Could other people confirm that the Beyondwind patch is no longer needed?

I'll try to transfer some files now and see if the stability holds. My problems always arise after transferring files.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #5,350 of 10,664
  Hooray and celebrations!

I was trying to get my slow error-loving iPod to work just now when I updated to the latest Rockbox version. As far as I know, updating through RockboxUtility overwrites the complete Rockbox folder including the Beyondwind patch.

And what do you know? For the first time in ages it just WORKS. Quickly, flawlessly. Could other people confirm that the Beyondwind patch is no longer needed?

I'll try to transfer some files now and see if the stability holds. My problems always arise after transferring files.

I was about to post something similar.  In fact, I think I might become a Rockbox evangelist, because not only does the latest version work better than the older one I was using, it actually seems to work better than the original ipod classic firmware.  I was having problems with perpetual-reboot after synching with iTunes on every ipod (5th, 7th, sdxc, ssd and _even_ on my 240gb hard-drive ipod) - possibly there's some weird corruption in my itunes metadata - copying all the mp3s to a 'clean' library seemed to solve it, at the expense of losing everything that makes iTunes worth bothering with to begin with.

But this version of Rockbox seems to have solved that.

Also, I discovered (very late in the day, admittedly, I know its not exactly esoteric knowledge) windows's robocopy.  This seems a perfectly satisfactory way to synch a rockboxed ipod (using iTunes just to maintain the file structure).

Also managed to build the database without any problems, and the cover-flow-type-feature works surprisingly well.  Must say the themes are a huge improvement on the original Apple firmware.

Hopefully I can now say goodbye to Apple's walled-garden for good.

The only things rockbox lacks, it seems to me, is the ability to upload playcounts, and the ability to use an unpowered external amp (I gather that's because Apple make it impossible by encrypting the relevant feature?)

Edit - yeah, file-transfer is the risky step for me - but as the library's gotten larger its become a problem even with iTunes.  I even tried transferring my entire library to another PC, but that only helped as long as I didn't transfer the iTunes metadata with it.  Its quite odd.  But so far, with robocopy, I've updated both the ssd and sdxc ipods without problems (I so hope typing that doesn't jinx me).

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5,351 of 10,664

I was about to post something similar.  In fact, I think I might become a Rockbox evangelist, because not only does the latest version work better than the older one I was using, it actually seems to work better than the original ipod classic firmware.  I was having problems with perpetual-reboot after synching with iTunes on every ipod (5th, 7th, sdxc, ssd and _even_ on my 240gb hard-drive ipod) - possibly there's some weird corruption in my itunes metadata - copying all the mp3s to a 'clean' library seemed to solve it, at the expense of losing everything that makes iTunes worth bothering with to begin with.

But this version of Rockbox seems to have solved that.

Also, I discovered (very late in the day, admittedly, I know its not exactly esoteric knowledge) windows's robocopy.  This seems a perfectly satisfactory way to synch a rockboxed ipod (using iTunes just to maintain the file structure).

Also managed to build the database without any problems, and the cover-flow-type-feature works surprisingly well.  Must say the themes are a huge improvement on the original Apple firmware.

Hopefully I can now say goodbye to Apple's walled-garden for good.

The only things rockbox lacks, it seems to me, is the ability to upload playcounts, and the ability to use an unpowered external amp (I gather that's because Apple make it impossible by encrypting the relevant feature?)

Yes my faith in Rockbox is restored as well! Though, isn't one of the main advantages of Rockbox the fact you can just drag-and-drop files in Explorer? Why still use iTunes?

Personally I'm a huge foobar2000 fan. With the foo_dop plugin you can avoid iTunes even if you're not Rockboxed.

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #5,352 of 10,664
  Hooray and celebrations!

The only problem I've had with the rockboxed 5th gen ssd ipod is that it ran out of juice when trying to build the cover-flow database (because I only had it plugged in with USB, not firewire, I think).  Which, as ever, caused a sad-face (on both the ipod and me), needing extraction of the ssd and a repair of the MBR.  The sdxc 7th gen has not, so far, run out of battery - I don't think I want to find out what happens when it does.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,353 of 10,664
  Yes my faith in Rockbox is restored as well! Though, isn't one of the main advantages of Rockbox the fact you can just drag-and-drop files in Explorer? Why still use iTunes?

Personally I'm a huge foobar2000 fan. With the foo_dop plugin you can avoid iTunes even if you're not Rockboxed.

Just inertia, really.  ITunes seems fine for making playlists, finding cover art, ripping, etc.  I let it organise the file structure, then robocopy it across every now and then.

Ages ago I gave media monkey a try, but not only did it crash immediately, I found it impossible to fully uninstall it - it didn't let go its various file-associations when uninstalled.  Also tried (and wanted to smash with a hammer) WMP and Sony's various efforts.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #5,354 of 10,664

Just inertia, really.  ITunes seems fine for making playlists, finding cover art, ripping, etc.  I let it organise the file structure, then robocopy it across every now and then.

Ages ago I gave media monkey a try, but not only did it crash immediately, I found it impossible to fully uninstall it - it didn't let go its various file-associations when uninstalled.  Also tried (and wanted to smash with a hammer) WMP and Sony's various efforts.

Ugh, yes, I know what you mean. If you've never looked into foobar2000 before, you should really try it out. It's by far the most lightweight, to-the-point and full-featured player out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back