Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #5,102 of 10,664
  1600 kHz,
let me guess, you in France?
Cover flow has some issue with large library, I don't have Rockbox, have to try it, I have here I think five 7th gen classics lying around so will give tomorrow a try.

I'm in the Netherlands. Doesn't have anything to do with a large library, I've put two albums on it to test. Could have something to do with the skin, but I remember thinking that before, and then it turned out to be some sort of cache problem.

How would you like your 1.15?

Paypal please, I'll PM you.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #5,103 of 10,664
Second post to keep things concise.

Are there still people here who can't get a Samsung SSD to work? I've got a 500 GB EVO and there were two things I had to do to get it rolling.

1. Install the latest, not publicly available version of emCore. I was getting panic errors on boot myself, until I patched this baby:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiOJ3RMUXDkekRxek5yempxUWs/view?usp=sharing

Got it from the emCore IRC, and as of this moment it's still the latest version (r967/968). Hope they think sharing it here is okay.

2. Get the Samsung 840 EVO fix:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Someone here mentioned this earlier, so credits go to said person. My panic errors were gone, but playing a music file would always result in a freeze. At that moment I had to hook the EVO up to my PC anyway to restore a failed RAID array. After that very tedious process I flashed the firmware fix, and voila! It worked perfectly.

Hello,

Sorry but the Samsung 840 firmware update works only with NTFS file system if we read the specifications. The Ipod works with FAT32 file system (not NTFS) so how could you update your mSata card if it uses FAT32 file system? Thank you

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #5,104 of 10,664
Hmm didn't know that. Well like I said I needed it for other reasons at that moment, so I formatted it in NTFS, then patched. I don't know if it makes any difference though, now you mention it, when you convert it back to FAT32.

At least the possibility is always there. You never know what they put in those firmware updates.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,105 of 10,664
  What do you mean, loading it up externally? You can actually hook it up from without the case? That would definitely give a massive performance increase. I'm usually around 15 MB/s. Not bad, but no 500 MB/s.
  Like you might have read, I was on the verge of closing my iPod's case when I broke off the battery connector too. In the meantime you might want to update emCore anyway, it takes seconds and could bring improvements.

Yeah, putting the full (250gb) library on it using an external ssd enclosure and sata connection - can't remember the times exactly, but it was of the order of <1 hour instead of 5 hours.  But not possible on anything later than 5.0 gen.  It seems like 5th gen is at this point just better than 5.5 gen, as all the latter gives you is the search function in the original firmware, and an 80gb drive instead of a 60gb, neither of which is relevant if you are using a bigger drive and rockbox.

I'm really puzzled, incidentally, what is going on with my (7.5 gen) sdxc efforts.  I actually managed to get it working by buying _another_ sdxc card, again from amazon US.  This time it works fine - hurrah!  But I don't understand what's wrong with the original one, as it gives 'bad block' errors in windows event viewer if I try and sync to it in the ipod.  Is it the sdxc itself, or is it that particular ipod? (while I have several, there's only that one left 'open' to put the original sdxc in, and I don't want to destroy any more case backs - but before I couldn't get it to work in any of them).

I mean 'bad block' errors sounds like its the card, but it might not be, as I guess the PC isn't seeing the card directly, its seeing the virtual disk that the ipod presents it with, no?  If the ipod is doing something wrong the PC might see it as a disk error.

And was the card bad from the start or has it gone bad with all the repeated attempts to get it to work?  And could I possibly try and return it to Amazon, even though its been weeks now since I got it?  If I could just get a refund on the first card - or figure out how to get it to work -  I think I'd be content, as the other one is now working well.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #5,106 of 10,664

Yeah, putting the full (250gb) library on it using an external ssd enclosure and sata connection - can't remember the times exactly, but it was of the order of <1 hour instead of 5 hours.  But not possible on anything later than 5.0 gen.  It seems like 5th gen is at this point just better than 5.5 gen, as all the latter gives you is the search function in the original firmware, and an 80gb drive instead of a 60gb, neither of which is relevant if you are using a bigger drive and rockbox.

I'm really puzzled, incidentally, what is going on with my (7.5 gen) sdxc efforts.  I actually managed to get it working by buying _another_ sdxc card, again from amazon US.  This time it works fine - hurrah!  But I don't understand what's wrong with the original one, as it gives 'bad block' errors in windows event viewer if I try and sync to it in the ipod.  Is it the sdxc itself, or is it that particular ipod? (while I have several, there's only that one left 'open' to put the original sdxc in, and I don't want to destroy any more case backs - but before I couldn't get it to work in any of them).

I mean 'bad block' errors sounds like its the card, but it might not be, as I guess the PC isn't seeing the card directly, its seeing the virtual disk that the ipod presents it with, no?  If the ipod is doing something wrong the PC might see it as a disk error.

And was the card bad from the start or has it gone bad with all the repeated attempts to get it to work?  And could I possibly try and return it to Amazon, even though its been weeks now since I got it?  If I could just get a refund on the first card - or figure out how to get it to work -  I think I'd be content, as the other one is now working well.

Most things if fulfilled by Amazon have a 30 day return from my experience.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #5,107 of 10,664

the card maybe fake, flushed with firmware that will show 256GB, how much did you paid? Which card was it?

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #5,108 of 10,664

the card maybe fake, flushed with firmware that will show 256GB, how much did you paid? Which card was it?

I think its more likely faulty than fake, for two reasons - first, it doesn't seem to behave like a fake, as fakes, as I understand it, are usually quite small (actual) capacity, 16gb or something, while this seems to manage more than 32gb before errors appear.  And, indeed, the first time I used it, it synched a full 256gb, then failed after playing random tracks for a bit.  After that it just seemed to get worse, often failing to sync in the first place (though I was also trying it in different ipods, so it might be different ipods having different problems).

Secondly its the PNY card direct from amazon (not 3rd party), as is the second card (which works).  If Amazon are selling fakes, who can you trust?

Edit - trouble is its from US amazon, so sending it back might be a pain, and I'm not sure what I should do to prove its faulty before returning it - I looked at h2testw but it seems like it will take an entire day to run the test.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,110 of 10,664
where did you get the 2000mah battery? and will it fit the 160GB Classic (slim)?

From the same Chinese seller on ebay that I think everyone else gets it from!  Didn't someone say somewhere that the seller is a member of this site?  It works well, just as with the normal battery that cable is a mite fragile.

There's also a 1900mah one which is much the same.  Neither will fit in the slim case until you switch in a fat back.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #5,112 of 10,664
link, please? i've looked high and low on Head-Fi and can't make heads or tails of which replacement batteries are worth buying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000mAh-Battery-Upgrade-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-6-6-5-7-Video-5-5-5-Thin-/191209866425

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Capacity-1900mAh-Upgraded-Battery-tool-for-iPod-7th-gen-classic-thin-160gb-/221579969282

There might be other sellers.

Edit - just be aware both of those require you to replace the slim back panel with a deep one.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #5,114 of 10,664
  I think its more likely faulty than fake, for two reasons - first, it doesn't seem to behave like a fake, as fakes, as I understand it, are usually quite small (actual) capacity, 16gb or something, while this seems to manage more than 32gb before errors appear.  And, indeed, the first time I used it, it synched a full 256gb, then failed after playing random tracks for a bit.  After that it just seemed to get worse, often failing to sync in the first place (though I was also trying it in different ipods, so it might be different ipods having different problems).

Secondly its the PNY card direct from amazon (not 3rd party), as is the second card (which works).  If Amazon are selling fakes, who can you trust?

Edit - trouble is its from US amazon, so sending it back might be a pain, and I'm not sure what I should do to prove its faulty before returning it - I looked at h2testw but it seems like it will take an entire day to run the test.

I have not had to prove defect in order to get my refund from Amazon.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,115 of 10,664
thank you!
cool.gif

The same guy also sells the battery including back cover. He's included the heaphone + hold cable and the plastic thingie around the dock connector too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000mA-Battery-Back-Cover-Upgrade-kits-replacement-for-iPod-Classic-160GB-thin-/191194956202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c841b81aa

Why would only 5G and lower acceot drives that have been loaded externally? There shouldn't be any difference in the result as far as I know.

Drive issues like this can be extremely puzzling. This afternoon I loading a bunch of albums on the iPod just before leaving. Waiting for the train, looking forward to finally using the damn music machine, it spurted out the exact same write block errors and PANIC messages as it had before.

About 12 hours later, I tried to play a song just to get the error messages, and (of course) this time it just worked! It still does.

As for if it's the card or the PC causing your trouble, I wouldn't get your hopes up about the PC being the issue. Then again, it just might be. My issues have always started after transferring a big group of files. Playing a file would result in a PANIC message. I tried switching to the Rockbox fallback image, and interestingly enough I didn't get any errors this time, just the player would skip through all songs as if the files didn't exist anymore.

So if the drive and the PC are okay, the only possible culprits remaining are emCore and Rockbox. And beyondwind's patch. Least we can do is keep those updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back