Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5,086 of 10,664
  Hey guys, can I use a 5/5.5G click wheel on a 7.5G motherboard or can I only use a 7.5G clickwheel on the 6/7.5G motherboard?

The 5/5.5 are different from the 6/7 I believe.

I have used 6th, 7th gen in 5th gen boards and it works fine with the Classic faceplate but I haven't used the 5th gen clickwheel on the Classic.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5,087 of 10,664

the battery connector you can find on eBay for $8 or even cheaper on aliexpress, same connector for 5th, 6th and 7th gen.

besides that, only 3 pins are used

1,2 - same
3 - 
4,5 - same

Sorry for being slow on the uptake, but what do those numbers refer to in terms of the actual positions of the pins?  I still have the logic board of my first ipod classic, which suffered that fate.  I used to be OK at soldering many, many years ago, but I seem to have lost the knack entirely (either that or this lead-free solder isn't as good as the old stuff - it seems to either not do anything at all or it just sublimates straight to vapour).

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #5,088 of 10,664
  Second post to keep things concise.

Are there still people here who can't get a Samsung SSD to work? I've got a 500 GB EVO and there were two things I had to do to get it rolling.

1. Install the latest, not publicly available version of emCore. I was getting panic errors on boot myself, until I patched this baby:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiOJ3RMUXDkekRxek5yempxUWs/view?usp=sharing

Got it from the emCore IRC, and as of this moment it's still the latest version (r967/968). Hope they think sharing it here is okay.

2. Get the Samsung 840 EVO fix:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Someone here mentioned this earlier, so credits go to said person. My panic errors were gone, but playing a music file would always result in a freeze. At that moment I had to hook the EVO up to my PC anyway to restore a failed RAID array. After that very tedious process I flashed the firmware fix, and voila! It worked perfectly.

I actually gave up on getting the 500gb evo to work with a 7.5 gen.  Loading it up was just exasperating as it would usually crap out at some point.  And if it didn't, it would later turn corrupt while you were using it.  At the moment it seems to be working perfectly with a 5th gen (did I mention that already?  the best part is that loading it up externally, which you can only do with a 5th gen, is massively faster than doing it in the ipod itself - why did Apple introduce its own weirdo hard-drive formatting?  Paranoia about 'piracy' or something?  A bird that's long flown, surely?). 

Unfortunately while struggling to get the 7.5gen to work I broke the connector of the 2000mah battery, so now have to wait for a replacement.

I checked the firmware issue as soon as I got the SSD, and Samsung's utility said it already had the fixed firmware.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5,090 of 10,664
Sorry for being slow on the uptake, but what do those numbers refer to in terms of the actual positions of the pins?  I still have the logic board of my first ipod classic, which suffered that fate.  I used to be OK at soldering many, many years ago, but I seem to have lost the knack entirely (either that or this lead-free solder isn't as good as the old stuff - it seems to either not do anything at all or it just sublimates straight to vapour).

1,2 and 4,5 means that the two pins, left and right are same, not the pin position.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #5,093 of 10,664

I actually gave up on getting the 500gb evo to work with a 7.5 gen.  Loading it up was just exasperating as it would usually crap out at some point.  And if it didn't, it would later turn corrupt while you were using it.  At the moment it seems to be working perfectly with a 5th gen (did I mention that already?  the best part is that loading it up externally, which you can only do with a 5th gen, is massively faster than doing it in the ipod itself - why did Apple introduce its own weirdo hard-drive formatting?  Paranoia about 'piracy' or something?  A bird that's long flown, surely?). 

Unfortunately while struggling to get the 7.5gen to work I broke the connector of the 2000mah battery, so now have to wait for a replacement.

I checked the firmware issue as soon as I got the SSD, and Samsung's utility said it already had the fixed firmware.

What do you mean, loading it up externally? You can actually hook it up from without the case? That would definitely give a massive performance increase. I'm usually around 15 MB/s. Not bad, but no 500 MB/s.

And yeah, the hard-drive formatting... It's the prime example of Apple's ignorant self-centeredness. If you do things their way, it all works fine. Otherwise, no chance. I guess they thought, in the early times of the MP3: people buy from iTunes, sync through iTunes, who needs those files? This way we can keep copyright holders happy and as a result, make iTunes big.

At least, that's what I think :wink: I've never used iTunes (for music) in my life.

Like you might have read, I was on the verge of closing my iPod's case when I broke off the battery connector too. In the meantime you might want to update emCore anyway, it takes seconds and could bring improvements.

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #5,097 of 10,664
  Yes, like rgarjr encircled, right? But then on the left too?

The battery bundles up 2 pins into 1 trace for - and + and then one pin is the control or some sensor wire.  I'm not sure on the left if they're connected to each other, you can test out the continuity with an ohm meter.  The 2 right pins are definitely together.  

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,098 of 10,664
I had the connector fixed and my iPod's finally working like a charm. If you're interested in an overly romantic story about the fix, read on.

Today I went looking for an electronics shop to get the connector soldered. I ended up at a small gas station, run by a an old, rather small guy. Explaining the situation I told him my local shop could handle a few speaker cables, "but this went over their heads though". He said he'd probably done those speakers himself. All electronics shops in the region bring their repairs to him. I gave him the logic board, and watched the boring channel that was on the TV in the corner. Ten minutes later he returned, connector soldered. "How much do I owe you?," I said. "Forget it, this is marketing." He gave me his card and I bought a Snickers.

My faith in humanity is restored!

Pic

Anyone know what it is with covers btw? I remember last time it took a while for them to appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back