Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 22, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,116 of 10,664
Some of the tabs of the faceplate are broken from someone else opening a my Video wrong. I was thinking about replacing it with the iVue but I've noticed some mention of mixing parts of Videos and classics so I could put a metal face plate on my Video or do I have to have the inner frame to attach it to?  iVue is supposed to be scratch resistant, but is there anything bad about it?

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #5,117 of 10,664
  Some of the tabs of the faceplate are broken from someone else opening a my Video wrong. I was thinking about replacing it with the iVue but I've noticed some mention of mixing parts of Videos and classics so I could put a metal face plate on my Video or do I have to have the inner frame to attach it to?  iVue is supposed to be scratch resistant, but is there anything bad about it?

If you change to the Classic front plate, then you will have to change the middle chassis also.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #5,118 of 10,664
Yeah I thought of that while typing and realized that might be another thing to buy which I would prefer to avoid. That and iVue looks like it will be half the price of a metal classic faceplate. Doing the click wheel looks like a pain but at least it will look nice. :)

Thanks

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #5,119 of 10,664
  I think its more likely faulty than fake, for two reasons - first, it doesn't seem to behave like a fake, as fakes, as I understand it, are usually quite small (actual) capacity, 16gb or something, while this seems to manage more than 32gb before errors appear.  And, indeed, the first time I used it, it synched a full 256gb, then failed after playing random tracks for a bit.  After that it just seemed to get worse, often failing to sync in the first place (though I was also trying it in different ipods, so it might be different ipods having different problems).

Secondly its the PNY card direct from amazon (not 3rd party), as is the second card (which works).  If Amazon are selling fakes, who can you trust?

Edit - trouble is its from US amazon, so sending it back might be a pain, and I'm not sure what I should do to prove its faulty before returning it - I looked at h2testw but it seems like it will take an entire day to run the test.

you need fast SD card reader to test 256GB fast but H2Testw is the best way to test it and what you describe looks like typical fake behaviour, you can write the card full with 250gb but if you read then you will see errors.

You can't even trust Amazon, last week there was problem with fake CPU's (AMD or Intel) on Amazon, sold direct from Amazon, Amazon bought a fake CPU's from resaler and they did not know about it so you see how it goes, on the first look not even the 
manufacturer did see if its fake first when you try to install or see the pin side then you will notice, they took old CPU's rebranded, repackaged and relabelled and sent it to Amazon.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #5,120 of 10,664

you can use the 6/7th gen face plate on 5th gen, you have to remove the excess metal on the frame, remove the LCD and logic board and use a fine file and file off only marked area.

here you can see 5th and 7th gen faceplate, 

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,121 of 10,664
  you can use the 6/7th gen face plate on 5th gen, you have to remove the excess metal on the frame, remove the LCD and logic board and use a fine file and file off only marked area.

What can one do about the clickwheel, when using a 7G classic faceplate on a 5.5G iPod Video?

1. Is the 5/5.5G clickwheel with its ribbon compatible with the 6G/7G face plate iPod?
2. Is the 6G/7G clickwheel with its ribbon compatible with the 5/5.5G face plate iPod and the 5/5.5G logic board?
3. Can you do mix and match, as in using the larger buttons part of the 5.5G ipod clickwheel (clickwheel without centre button) together with the centre button of a 6/7G clickwheel to make it compatible with the 6G/7G face plate on a 5/5.5G logic board?
4. Would any of the clickwheel versions (5/5.5G & 6/7G) get recessed or embossed if not used with its same face plate version?

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #5,122 of 10,664

What can one do about the clickwheel, when using a 7G classic faceplate on a 5.5G iPod Video?

1. Is the 5/5.5G clickwheel with its ribbon compatible with the 6G/7G face plate iPod?
The flex cable is bit different and as far as I know 7th gen wheel won't work with 5th gen logic board

2. Is the 6G/7G clickwheel with its ribbon compatible with the 5/5.5G face plate iPod and the 5/5.5G logic board?
see 1.

3. Can you do mix and match, as in using the larger buttons part of the 5.5G ipod clickwheel (clickwheel without centre button) together with the centre button of a 6/7G clickwheel to make it compatible with the 6G/7G face plate on a 5/5.5G logic board?
yes you can use the 7th gen center button with 7th gen faceplate on a 5th gen logic board 
the center button off 7th gen will be recessed if used with 5th gen faceplate/wheel also the 7th gen wheel will be recessed if used with 5th gen face plate

4. Would any of the clickwheel versions (5/5.5G & 6/7G) get recessed or embossed if not used with its same face plate version?
the 5th gen wheel may not fit properly 7th gen faceplate because 5th gen faceplate is thicker, you may have to reduce the thickness of the 5th gen wheel, see my pic below.

see my comments in red. I have not done it my self, I just compared the parts I have here of 7th and 5th gen.
I'll disassemble a 5th gen in few days then I can see how the click wheel of 7th will fit on 5th gen.
You can also take the plastic wheel part of 7th gen and stick on electronics of the 5th gen wheel.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #5,123 of 10,664
see my comments in red. I have not done it my self, I just compared the parts I have here of 7th and 5th gen.
I'll disassemble a 5th gen in few days then I can see how the click wheel of 7th will fit on 5th gen.
You can also take the plastic wheel part of 7th gen and stick on electronics of the 5th gen wheel.

I have installed an iPod Classic click-wheel on a 5th gen iPod and it works fine. I used the Classic mid-frame, One of those eBay Classic faceplates to make it look like the Classic

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #5,126 of 10,664
cmarti, that modded iPod looks beautiful. On it, you used the original iPod Video 5G back-plate with the 7G faceplate? If yes does it fit well? Is it easy to re-open later?

Can you please share from where you bought the red clickwheel that you used? As I am reading that chinese knock-offs from ebay as of low quality and do not fit properly. Thanks! :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5,127 of 10,664

here you can see 5th and 7th gen faceplate, 

Actually, you don't even have to file down the 5th gen frame to get it to fit with a 6th gen faceplate. Just use a 6th gen frame. But you'll have to put the 5th gen motherboard into the 6th gen frame, along with a 5th gen clickwheel ribbon with a 6th gen clickwheel "top." You have to take off the top of a 5th gen clickwheel and switch it with the top of a 6th gen clickwheel. Otherwise, the clickwheel will protrude above the faceplate by about a milimeter, and also, you won't be able to press down to cick because the nubs will be too long. Alternatively, you can just use the original 5th gen clickwheel with original ribbon and top, but file down the nubs with sandpaper so they're the same depth as a 6th gen's.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #5,128 of 10,664
cmarti, that modded iPod looks beautiful. On it, you used the original iPod Video 5G back-plate with the 7G faceplate? If yes does it fit well? Is it easy to re-open later?

Can you please share from where you bought the red clickwheel that you used? As I am reading that chinese knock-offs from ebay as of low quality and do not fit properly. Thanks! :)
The Click-wheel was one if the cheap ones off eBay, as a matter if fact this is a replacement they sent me because the first one sent by the seller wasn't working properly so I am afraid that the quality of the wheel might be uncertain so far this one works great.

The back cover is from eBay too, it's a slim 160gb cover which is somewhat easy to put on and remove.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,129 of 10,664

Actually, you don't even have to file down the 5th gen frame to get it to fit with a 6th gen faceplate. Just use a 6th gen frame. But you'll have to put the 5th gen motherboard into the 6th gen frame, along with a 5th gen clickwheel ribbon with a 6th gen clickwheel "top." You have to take off the top of a 5th gen clickwheel and switch it with the top of a 6th gen clickwheel. Otherwise, the clickwheel will protrude above the faceplate by about a milimeter, and also, you won't be able to press down to cick because the nubs will be too long. Alternatively, you can just use the original 5th gen clickwheel with original ribbon and top, but file down the nubs with sandpaper so they're the same depth as a 6th gen's.

if you file down you don't have to buy new frame and wait 4 weeks to arrive from china :)
The plastic faceplate is anyway a joke, it get scratched just from looking at it. 

The 5th gen click wheel is 0.5mm higher so if someone will not use the old plastic anymore is better off to file off the nubs or use sandpaper as you said.
In addition to the nubs there is the round support for the center button that has to be filed off if i'm seeing it right.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #5,130 of 10,664
The Click-wheel was one if the cheap ones off eBay, as a matter if fact this is a replacement they sent me because the first one sent by the seller wasn't working properly so I am afraid that the quality of the wheel might be uncertain so far this one works great.

The back cover is from eBay too, it's a slim 160gb cover which is somewhat easy to put on and remove.

All of the red clickwheels on eBay are inferior to the original OEM one. There are some that are just basically the black clickwheel painted red. Eventually the red paint chips off, and you can actually see the black color underneath and white arrows. Then there's the white clickwheel painted red. You can tell it used to be a white clickwheel because the underside and inner middle part show a bit of white through the red paint. These are higher quality though than the painted-on black clickwheels because these have a tougher clear coating on the top that prevents flaking. But if you scratch deep enough, you'll still see white underneath.

I'm not sure which kind of red clickwheel cmarti has in his pictures. But recently Chinese sellers switched to selling clickwheels that are no longer painted. They now sell clickwheels that are made from "red" plastic with the white arrows stamped in. So if you scratch it, it will still be red. Although these no longer have the flaking problem, the plastic they use is transparent enough that you can see the ribbon underneath, which has black lines and other patterns. It's what the ribbon looks in those iPods with the iVue clear cases. That means you have a red clickwheel with unsightly dark patches. The original OEM red clickwheels are a bright vivid red with no dark patches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back