Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,056 of 10,664
Hey all. Last time I was here I thought I'd just finished building a 500 GB Classic, but alas, things went wrong and there was a long delay.

Now today I was literally seconds away from finishing the build when I noticed I had broken off the connector for the battery cable. Very frustrating. So, is it possible to solder it back on? Making matters even worse, I also lost one of the metal thingies making up the actual connector. So I'd have to get a new one, if that is at all possible.

I find that keeping the cables and connectors intact is the hardest part of the process.

Nothing is harder than opening a 6/7G! In my experience at least. I've opened and closed a 7G and 5G multiple times without damaging anything, until, well now. Too careless.

A shot of the guts:

To the lower right is the loose connector, upside down. Couldn't get any closer as my Nexus refuses to focus properly.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #5,057 of 10,664
Second post to keep things concise.

Are there still people here who can't get a Samsung SSD to work? I've got a 500 GB EVO and there were two things I had to do to get it rolling.

1. Install the latest, not publicly available version of emCore. I was getting panic errors on boot myself, until I patched this baby:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByiOJ3RMUXDkekRxek5yempxUWs/view?usp=sharing

Got it from the emCore IRC, and as of this moment it's still the latest version (r967/968). Hope they think sharing it here is okay.

2. Get the Samsung 840 EVO fix:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Someone here mentioned this earlier, so credits go to said person. My panic errors were gone, but playing a music file would always result in a freeze. At that moment I had to hook the EVO up to my PC anyway to restore a failed RAID array. After that very tedious process I flashed the firmware fix, and voila! It worked perfectly.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #5,058 of 10,664
Third post, ahum. About the beyondwind patch, is there any contact with beyondwind himself? Talking with the emCore guys I found out that he actually pushed his patch to the Rockbox Gerrit, though it seems only for the 5G. This would mean 5G users don't need to patch their Rockbox. Can anybody confirm this?

In any case, if he'd get his patch into Rockbox itself, things would be a lot easier. We could keep our iPods up-to-date with just RockboxUtility.

EDIT: I just PMed beyondwind and asked him if he'd be willing to add his code to Rockbox.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5,059 of 10,664
Solder pads look in good shape as well as the connector. So you lost one of the pins, huh.

That connector is a crappy design by Apple since there's nothing holding the white base of it to the logic board. You're required to pry up on the little tab with a bit of force to release the cable. It doesn't take much for the pins to detach from the white plastic base. Again, chitty design.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #5,067 of 10,664
  Hey all. Last time I was here I thought I'd just finished building a 500 GB Classic, but alas, things went wrong and there was a long delay.

Now today I was literally seconds away from finishing the build when I noticed I had broken off the connector for the battery cable. Very frustrating. So, is it possible to solder it back on? Making matters even worse, I also lost one of the metal thingies making up the actual connector. So I'd have to get a new one, if that is at all possible.

Nothing is harder than opening a 6/7G! In my experience at least. I've opened and closed a 7G and 5G multiple times without damaging anything, until, well now. Too careless.

A shot of the guts:

To the lower right is the loose connector, upside down. Couldn't get any closer as my Nexus refuses to focus properly.

no big deal, take a tiny solder iron and fix the connector, my was lose so I soldered it back in place and works as new.

Edit: the battery connector you can find on eBay for $8 or even cheaper on aliexpress, same connector for 5th, 6th and 7th gen.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5,068 of 10,664
1600:

I do not know much about your model.  With my 5.5g video I broke the battery connector.  Tarkan was super nice to me.   He was able to repair the battery post.  How, I do not know.  Yes there were some fees plus international shipping (and some parts donations on my part). 

I do not think Tarkan is generally in the repair business.  He was very kind in my case and has made me a fan and a repeat customer.

Cmarti or some other local wizards may know what to do.  There are a few wizards here. 

I do not know if the repair possibility exists with other generation units.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5,069 of 10,664
  FYI: ibood.com is having the PNY 128GB MicroSDXC in promotion just for today, so until midnight CET. You can find it in the EXTRA category in the Dutch, Belgian, German, Austrian or Polish site. (So you will have to find a way to order in dutch, german or polish and I am not sure if they send outside of Europe). I've ordered from them before and they are very reliable although they do have a tendency to have long shipping delays. 

for 69 EUR?!
thats twice as much as you pay for 128GB SDXC card on amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back