Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #5,071 of 10,664
Solder pads look in good shape as well as the connector. So you lost one of the pins, huh.

That connector is a crappy design by Apple since there's nothing holding the white base of it to the logic board. You're required to pry up on the little tab with a bit of force to release the cable. It doesn't take much for the pins to detach from the white plastic base. Again, chitty design.

And without all the pins, I'm out of luck I guess? I had it in my hand... Then it was gone.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5,080 of 10,664
Avoiding breaking the cables (if you have to remove and insert them repeatedly) and opening the case without mangling it are about equally tricky, I reckon.

But there's also the determination of those teeny-weeny screws to hurl themselves to the floor or catapult across the room on the slightest pretext.  And then it seems the rug eats them (presumably they contain nutrients that the rug craves), so they are never seen again.

(Don't suppose anyone knows what size/type those screws are?  I presume they would be dirt-cheap if only one knew how to describe them)

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,081 of 10,664
  Avoiding breaking the cables (if you have to remove and insert them repeatedly) and opening the case without mangling it are about equally tricky, I reckon.

But there's also the determination of those teeny-weeny screws to hurl themselves to the floor or catapult across the room on the slightest pretext.  And then it seems the rug eats them (presumably they contain nutrients that the rug craves), so they are never seen again.

(Don't suppose anyone knows what size/type those screws are?  I presume they would be dirt-cheap if only one knew how to describe them)

and thats why I got a 2 bags of them, here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261201408568?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
the cheapest I could find on the net.

you can put a tiny neodym magnet on the screwdriver tip to hold the screw like I do.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #5,082 of 10,664

and thats why I got a 2 bags of them, here you go:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261201408568?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks, that's cheaper than the best I've hitherto found on ebay uk.  Though the guy's away at the moment (might be why I couldn't find that particular listing).  Haven't quite run out of screws yet (thanks to plundering the dead),but at the rate they are vanishing I expect to before long.  Still think it would be a lot easier to get hold of them if one could just ask for a particular standard type of screw rather than buying special 'ipod sets'.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #5,083 of 10,664

http://www.idemigods.com/iPod_6th_Gen_Classic_Screw_Set_p/6g_scrwst.htm

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #5,084 of 10,664
Thanks, that's cheaper than the best I've hitherto found on ebay uk.  Though the guy's away at the moment (might be why I couldn't find that particular listing).  Haven't quite run out of screws yet (thanks to plundering the dead),but at the rate they are vanishing I expect to before long.  Still think it would be a lot easier to get hold of them if one could just ask for a particular standard type of screw rather than buying special 'ipod sets'.

You get two sets in that listing, 12 screws. Most Chinese selers are away till 27th , Chinese New Year holiday, even bigger than Christmas in EU/US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back