Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #4,411 of 10,664
Why do you need a new metal frame? Inn my experience this is not often broken age does not need to get changed unless you want to change your faceplate to a 5th gen. Anyway you can buy all these components on aliexpress.com

Because my frame is broken for some reason.I probably broke it when I tried to take the back plate off. Also do you know what would happen if it shuts off after I mod it with ssd? Do I need to take the chips out and format it or I can just do it without taking it apart?

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #4,412 of 10,664
Because my frame is broken for some reason.I probably broke it when I tried to take the back plate off. Also do you know what would happen if it shuts off after I mod it with ssd? Do I need to take the chips out and format it or I can just do it without taking it apart?
Then you were probably not very gentle with it. And I didn't have that problem yet. But if that happens I would first recharge it and try menu + select to bit in dfu mode.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #4,413 of 10,664
I just picked up this clear panel from rapid repair sure you have seen them before was surprised it came with the metal frame.

Was thinking about painting it a different color maybe green. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iVue-Clear-Panel-for-iPod-Video-with-Screen-Protector-Tools-and-Earbuds-/161231367038?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item258a236b7e

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,414 of 10,664
  Dr408517,

I have found this adapter that connects via USB to my PC that worked for me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LRZPNHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know you have done quite a few mods, so my question.
How do you safely disconnect the battery with out breaking the connector?

So far I have ruined two boards.

Thanks,

I've managed to break 3 battery connectors and one board this way, so far.  It didn't happen first time, rather due to having to repeatedly assemble and dismantle the things due to some problem or other (the most frustrating thing is that you can't tell if the 'spare part' you got is faulty or not till after you've re-assembled everything, only then do you find the lcd has dead pixels or something).  That connector gets weaker every time you do it.  Personally in the end I decided it was better to risk the battery cable than the connector on the board.

Is there anyway to salvage a battery when the end contact has broken off the cable, by the way?

Edit - it wasn't disconnecting the battery that caused the damage - that was fairly easy - it was getting the connector back in again when reassembling.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #4,415 of 10,664
  I did try searching this thread for an answer but couldn't find the precise question, so apologies if its already been mentioned somewhere.

I have a 7th gen with the 240gb toshiba drive in, and have another 7 gen I am thinking of doing the same with.  But at the moment the 240g pata drives seem to have become scarce and gone up in price (are supplies now drying up because they aren't in production any more or is that just temporary, by the way?).

Was just wondering if anyone knows if a 7g classic would work with a zif-sata adaptor and a 250g msata hard drive (not ssd), as those are a lot cheaper now than 240gb pata.  I gather there are 'issues' with using SSDs in a 7g, but what about msata hard drives, do the same issues arise?

thanks.

I'm assuming nobody has tried this so nobody knows? 

Anyway I now think it might be impossible due to physical size considerations anyway - would an 8mm height drive plus a msata converter even fit?

Sill would like to know for sure because 250gb msata hard drives are now vastly cheaper than 240gb zif drives, or ssd or sdxc cards.

(was interested to find that toshiba at one point made a 320gb msata 1.8" hard drive)

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #4,416 of 10,664
The 5.5 unmodified still sounds great by current standards.

Much agreed!
beerchug.gif

I found a gen 5.5 white 30gb on Craigslist for $30. Had a gimpy phone jack so replaced that and tossed in a new battery while I was at it. After a while the HD started chirping and rattling a little and space was getting tight. Installed the Tarkan CF with a 64gb card, placed the iPod in a Yo Tank case (it's a brick but I love it) , installed Rockbox and haven't looked back. Relatively wallet friendly too. Good sound doesn't need to be super expensive but I suppose it's all subjective. Between the 5.5, the internals, and the case I have maybe $100-$125 in it. Listening to Alice in Chains - Best of the Box in flac as I type this through ue TF10s I picked up on Black Friday a few years ago for $100 and just loving it! Still have about 15gb open but if it starts to get too tight I can just replace the 64 with a larger CF.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #4,417 of 10,664

I'm assuming nobody has tried this so nobody knows? 

Anyway I now think it might be impossible due to physical size considerations anyway - would an 8mm height drive plus a msata converter even fit?

Sill would like to know for sure because 250gb msata hard drives are now vastly cheaper than 240gb zif drives, or ssd or sdxc cards.

(was interested to find that toshiba at one point made a 320gb msata 1.8" hard drive)

A 7th gen with msata is possible now if you use the tarkan adapter and beyondwinds patch for rockbox.  I'm not entirely sure that the stock firmware would work with the msata however.  There are other concerns though such as battery life.  Tarkan in an email to me stated that '1Tb 7g run on the slim battery it gives me more than a days use'.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #4,418 of 10,664

A 7th gen with msata is possible now if you use the tarkan adapter and beyondwinds patch for rockbox.  I'm not entirely sure that the stock firmware would work with the msata however.  There are other concerns though such as battery life.  Tarkan in an email to me stated that '1Tb 7g run on the slim battery it gives me more than a days use'.

Though as I understand it, all the msata examples are with msata ssds, rather than msata hard drives.  I'm not sure if the complications, like battery life and firmware compatibility, are the same (or worse or better) with an msata conventional drive.  I suppose the only way to find out might be to buy one and gamble. 

I was hoping someone might know about the physical size issue though - how large is an msata ssd compared with a 8mm thickness hard-drive?  If its a tight fit with an ssd plus adaptor perhaps a hd plus adaptor would be a non-starter?

(shocked how prices for the 240gb pata drive have risen though!  They've gone from £70 to £120 to £180.  It seems as if Americans have bought them all up!)

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #4,420 of 10,664
(shocked how prices for the 240gb pata drive have risen though!  They've gone from £70 to £120 to £180.  It seems as if Americans have bought them all up!)
[/quote]

The issue with the pata drives is that legacy technology push the prices higher until stock is depleted. There's obviously a demand and sellers know that.

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #4,421 of 10,664
Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  In fact I just signed up so I could finally post.

I have begun embarking on the Terapod build.  The msata drive from Samsung is almost in my price range.  I have all the other components, i.e. the Tarkan adapter, the 2000mah battery, the dual usb/firewire cable, and of course a 5.5g ipod that I have had for a number of years.  I have the 240gb dual platter HDD in it now, but sadly, I ran out of space a long time ago.

My only concern, outside of the cost of the msata, is the performance.  I have read all the tales of woe related to corruption and sad face errors.  The reason for my post is to ask if any of the talented folks who have built these have done the Samsung patch for the EVO 840?  I have an 2.5mm 256 SSD in my PC.  It is the EVO 840.  I have had to do Windows on it 3 times.  It corrupted twice as I hadn't initially heard of any issues with the drive.

I was planning on sticking with apple as almost all my files to date are in ALAC, and I didn't want to rip all my CDs again (or convert the files with dbpoweramp).  The stability of the drive is my primary concern.  Seeing that I can't load externally due to the fact I have a 5.5g logic board, I was hoping one of you can verify the steps I would need to take.

I think I would need to:

1. procure the msata drive
2. procure and adatper to sata
3. hook up the drive to my PC and apply this fix.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software

Samsung is releasing a new firmware and performance restoration software package for the 840 EVO and 840 EVO mSATA.
The firmware update is recommended to users who may have experienced any drop in read performance of the mentioned drives.
Running the software packages provided will first update the firmware(840 EVO : EXT0CB6Q, 840 EVO mSATA : EXT42B6Q), then scan and calibrate all existing data on the drive.

Note that the update time can be more than an hour depending on the amount of data. Please wait for the firmware update to complete before starting any other operations.

4. build up the terapod
5. connect to itunes and hope it is recognized so I can start loading

Thank you all for all the previous posts, and any help you can provide.

Best regards

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #4,422 of 10,664
  Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  In fact I just signed up so I could finally post.

I have begun embarking on the Terapod build.  The msata drive from Samsung is almost in my price range.  I have all the other components, i.e. the Tarkan adapter, the 2000mah battery, the dual usb/firewire cable, and of course a 5.5g ipod that I have had for a number of years.  I have the 240gb dual platter HDD in it now, but sadly, I ran out of space a long time ago.

My only concern, outside of the cost of the msata, is the performance.  I have read all the tales of woe related to corruption and sad face errors.  The reason for my post is to ask if any of the talented folks who have built these have done the Samsung patch for the EVO 840?  I have an 2.5mm 256 SSD in my PC.  It is the EVO 840.  I have had to do Windows on it 3 times.  It corrupted twice as I hadn't initially heard of any issues with the drive.

I was planning on sticking with apple as almost all my files to date are in ALAC, and I didn't want to rip all my CDs again (or convert the files with dbpoweramp).
 Rockbox supports ALAC.

The stability of the drive is my primary concern.  Seeing that I can't load externally due to the fact I have a 5.5g logic board, I was hoping one of you can verify the steps I would need to take.

I think I would need to:

1. procure the msata drive
2. procure and adatper to sata
3. hook up the drive to my PC and apply this fix.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html
Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software

Samsung is releasing a new firmware and performance restoration software package for the 840 EVO and 840 EVO mSATA.
The firmware update is recommended to users who may have experienced any drop in read performance of the mentioned drives.
Running the software packages provided will first update the firmware(840 EVO : EXT0CB6Q, 840 EVO mSATA : EXT42B6Q), then scan and calibrate all existing data on the drive.

Note that the update time can be more than an hour depending on the amount of data. Please wait for the firmware update to complete before starting any other operations.

4. build up the terapod
5. connect to itunes and hope it is recognized so I can start loading

Thank you all for all the previous posts, and any help you can provide.

Best regards

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4,423 of 10,664
Okay a small question for you guys. I finally got the tools to start taking my iPod apart, and completed installing the 2000 mAh battery, a Samsung 840 EVO and a new (red!) clickwheel. Now right at the very, very end, I've stumbled into a problem. After installing emCore and running the fallback Rockbox, the iPod just keeps connecting to the PC over and over again (thus, never connecting). Anybody recognise this?

I really hope I don't have to take the SSD out again to format it, or install the (interesting) firmware update mentioned above, as the new thick case fits so well that it'll be a small problem separating it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back