Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #4,443 of 10,664
Originally Posted by squallkiercosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
  I couldn't tell you the difference, but I'd go for the Samsung one personally. The 840 EVO's are hailed all around.

It doesn't really matter how fast the driver is, the speed is limited by the board anyway. 

IMO, when the drive storage gets large the most important thing is the stability/reliability with the least chance for being corrupted. When you have 512GB or 1TB fully loaded, you don't want to lose that load (due to drive corruptions) especially if you don't have any backups for the music. 

From what I understand, the Crucial msata's are pretty reliable from that perspective due to its power loss protection for data.

For the 1TB msata, the Samsung 840 EVO is the only choice.

Another option for 512gb mSATA cards is the Samsung MZMTE512HMHP it works like a dream on my 7th gen iPod Classic. Not a single hiccup or freeze since I installed it back in June.

Is that a true 512GB or actually a 480GB? How does it compare to other msata's (Crucial, BP4, etc) in terms of power efficiency? 

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #4,444 of 10,664

Is that a true 512GB or actually a 480GB? How does it compare to other msata's (Crucial, BP4, etc) in terms of power efficiency? 

It's 512GB because it has 476GB of usable storage, a 480GB drive gives you 446GB of usable storage.

Power efficiency seems to be on par with the Crucial 480GB card, the iPod never gets hot and with the 2000mAh battery you can go over one week without charging it. As a matter of fact I just returned from a week cruise vacation and never charged the iPod even though I used it everyday.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #4,445 of 10,664
  It's 512GB because it has 476GB of usable storage, a 480GB drive gives you 446GB of usable storage.

Power efficiency seems to be on par with the Crucial 480GB card, the iPod never gets hot and with the 2000mAh battery you can go over one week without charging it. As a matter of fact I just returned from a week cruise vacation and never charged the iPod even though I used it everyday.

The whole GiB thing never really cought on did it? Instead of fixing the issue, they just handed harddisk manufacturers a get-out-of-****-free card.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,448 of 10,664
I was about to post some pics of my new baby when disaster struck. First, the pics though:

I especially like how the red clickwheel turned out, though it did take time to 'settle in'. It seemed like it didn't fit at first, and it wouldn't work all the time, but now it's perfect.

So, I was happily transferring my music library this morning when I decided to reboot my computer. Not that smart, in hindsight. I'm now getting panic errors after booting Rockbox and even when I try to reformat the disk:

So am I screwed now, or is this fixable?

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4,449 of 10,664
Well so far today I have ordered

a)Tarkans msata adapter
b) 256 crucial msata (I don't really have that many albums yet, and if I do run out I can always build another :p)

It also helped that amazon had a £5 of £10 spend (!).

Still to get are :-

New battery
Appropriate back cover

Other things that I'm thinking of is to replace the black jog wheel with a red one, and to replace the lcd screen whilst I've got it open.  I really just want to do this once.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #4,451 of 10,664
  New battery
Appropriate back cover

Other things that I'm thinking of is to replace the black jog wheel with a red one, and to replace the lcd screen whilst I've got it open.  I really just want to do this once.

You only have to order the battery, if you're getting the 2000 mAh one a new (official!) back cover is included. Also, check out the red clickwheel above. I'm very happy with mine.

Sorry, what do you mean.

As far as I know, because of the confusion with Gigabyes, Megabytes, etc. (the harddisk manufacturers calculate with 1000, the rest of the world with 1024), the international standards organisation introduced a new set of names: Gibibytes, Mebibyte, etc. You can see this in Linux if I'm not mistaken. Windows doesn't play game though.

So the actual harddisk space you mention is the same space, just in GiB. Check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #4,452 of 10,664
  You only have to order the battery, if you're getting the 2000 mAh one a new (official!) back cover is included. Also, check out the red clickwheel above. I'm very happy with mine.
As far as I know, because of the confusion with Gigabyes, Megabytes, etc. (the harddisk manufacturers calculate with 1000, the rest of the world with 1024), the international standards organisation introduced a new set of names: Gibibytes, Mebibyte, etc. You can see this in Linux if I'm not mistaken. Windows doesn't play game though.

So the actual harddisk space you mention is the same space, just in GiB. Check: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

How long did the 2000mah battery take to arrive?  I'd like to get it done this weekend as I have sunday free in theory (I realise that it won't be that quick!).

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back