Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #4,396 of 10,664
  Hi guys,

This may not be the best thread but can anyone advise on a good place to bay a faceplate and backplate for ipod 5th gen?
I have bought form chinese sellers on ebay but none of them is good. They come alredy scratched and the plastic is far from being good.

Did you try aliexpress.com? Look at the reputation of the seller and maybe chat with them. Ask them some questions about the product and then it is easy to know if they know what they are talking about.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #4,397 of 10,664
[size=12.7272720336914px]I could have missed reading some posts, but t[/size]o my knowledge no one has reported any msata corruptions for size up to 512GB (480GB) either due to USB file transfer or shut down from power loss. At least my Crucial 480GB never got corrupted in spite of many shutdowns due to power loss when the generic batteries were tested.

If you want a 1TB msata mod, get a 5g and load the drive full from motherboard after it's restored in iTunes. Altho I have not tested the 2000mAh with the 1TB, with the Milliamp 850 mAH the 1TB never got corrupted from shutdown as a result of complete battery depletion. It remains to be seen as the Milliamp recycles more and more.

My 1TB diymod has been fully loaded for months now. Besides freezing occasionally, it works great. The occasional freeze simply needs a reboot back to normal. I am actually surprised by the ability of this old ipod to handle a 1TB drive this good. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4,398 of 10,664
. I am actually surprised by the ability of this old ipod to handle a 1TB drive this good. 

Which somewhat makes a mockery of Apples recent claim that it would be too expensive to redesign the model with newer parts.  Just swop out the hard drive, put in the adapter and msata drive (different models) and bob's your uncle.  Of course the real reason they won't do it is because of $$$

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4,399 of 10,664
  Which somewhat makes a mockery of Apples recent claim that it would be too expensive to redesign the model with newer parts.  Just swop out the hard drive, put in the adapter and msata drive (different models) and bob's your uncle.  Of course the real reason they won't do it is because of $$$

To be honest, $$$ is a perfectly legitimate reason for a company to chose a course of action - corporations are there to make profits, after all.   If the mass-market doesn't want high-storage-capacity players then can one blame Apple?

It is nevertheless frustrating that the ipod classic motherboard seems quite capable of further life.  In an ideal world digital players would be made to be a kind of open standard taking standard components the way desktop PCs traditionally were - just slot in your choice of ssd/hard drive, motherboard, etc.

(better still, with a choice of standard case sizes - a housing slightly larger than the 'fat' ipod would be nice, allowing a bigger battery)

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #4,400 of 10,664

To be honest, $$$ is a perfectly legitimate reason for a company to chose a course of action - corporations are there to make profits, after all.   If the mass-market doesn't want high-storage-capacity players then can one blame Apple?

It is nevertheless frustrating that the ipod classic motherboard seems quite capable of further life.  In an ideal world digital players would be made to be a kind of open standard taking standard components the way desktop PCs traditionally were - just slot in your choice of ssd/hard drive, motherboard, etc.

(better still, with a choice of standard case sizes - a housing slightly larger than the 'fat' ipod would be nice, allowing a bigger battery)

Which is fair enough, you just wish Apple amongst others would come out and say it.

At least we have people like Tarkan and the other helpful members on here willing to help out so we can diy it.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #4,401 of 10,664
Just Joined! 

I am currently working on a 5th Generation Classic that I found in the trash "TrashPod"

Here is a link to a photo of the parts I have so far:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=941239469238610&set=a.131919983503900.19342.100000576970341&type=1&theater

Link to a Custom Compact Flash 4th Gen I built:

http://youtu.be/pue14LWUkzI?list=UUPcN4x1Zc5mFu5K1GJSC9cw

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4,403 of 10,664
Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet.  To post images in a thread you need a certain amount of posts.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #4,405 of 10,664
  Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet.  To post images in a thread you need a certain amount of posts.

Don't scare our new friend. He should be safe as long as he hangs around this thread only. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4,406 of 10,664
I have been reading this thread and knowing some basic stuff about modding and
I am planning to mod my ipod classic gen 7.5 with the following components:
1) bp4 240GB ssd
2)2000mah with the thick back plate
3)tarkan adapter
I have a couple questions and hope someone can answer them.
1. I wanna buy the front plate and the metal frame as well.Does any of you know where I can get them together ?

2.If my ipod runs out of power, do I need to take the chips out and reformat it?
3.How do I know if I have damaged the logic board or not..During disassembling, I seemed to just slowly pull out the 2 ribbons without releasing the clamps(if there is one..).

#I did released the clamp for the dock lol

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #4,408 of 10,664
Hoping some one can provide some insight concerning the circuitry associated with the click wheel.

The sticker that grounds out the (5th Gen) Logic Board to the frame was torn, mind you I found both of these logic boards in the dumpster behind my local electronics repair shop and did not make that common mistake disassembling them myself. 

Anyway I attempted to solder a jumper wire and am really not exactly sure if lack of continuity was causing the click wheel nor buttons to not function at all.

As you can see in the pictures I ohm tested across it and have an open circuit.  

Wondering if a 6th Gen Click Wheel is compatible with the 5th gen, it doesn't seem to have the wing that sticks down to the frame.

If anyone has any links to a 5th gen logic board schematic or has an advice on the chips responsible or has any advice pls chime in thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.924587250903832.1073741890.100000576970341&type=1&l=dfb1493530

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #4,409 of 10,664
The 5th and 6th gen click wheels are not compatible electronically or in in how they fit.

I have never worried about the continuity of any of the ground stickers. Many times when I get replacement parts these are already torn but they still work.

If your click wheel isn't working very well it's most likely the clickwheel itself or the corresponding mainboard connector. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #4,410 of 10,664
I have been reading this thread and knowing
1. I wanna buy the front plate and the metal frame as well.Does any of you know where I can get them together ?

Why do you need a new metal frame? Inn my experience this is not often broken age does not need to get changed unless you want to change your faceplate to a 5th gen. Anyway you can buy all these components on aliexpress.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back