Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,506 of 10,664
  I have so far loaded almost the entire 446GB's with only 10GB's left free. The ipod shows no signs of slowing down and remains very responsive. Very impressive for this size of drive. This RB patch works really well with the mSATA's, and I have a strong feeling it will work well with a 1TB mSATA.

Edit:
Shall we try this one?  I think this drive will cure the itching fingers for good.
wink_face.gif
   Maybe we should wait for another 6 months for the price to drop.

DMinor, does this drive require the tarkan adapter if installed in a 5th gen Ipod?

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #2,507 of 10,664

I have so far loaded almost the entire 446GB's with only 10GB's left free. The ipod shows no signs of slowing down and remains very responsive. Very impressive for this size of drive. This RB patch works really well with the mSATA's, and I have a strong feeling it will work well with a 1TB mSATA.

Edit:
Shall we try this one?  I think this drive will cure the itching fingers for good.
wink_face.gif

DMinor, does this drive require the tarkan adapter if installed in a 5th gen Ipod?

The Tarkan adapter is for the CF card, and the mSATA needs this adapter.

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #2,508 of 10,664

Edit:
wink_face.gif

well the 1tb evo is cooler running and more power efficient than a 480gb m500 consuming only a bit more at full throttle so it would likely work assuming its firmware likes to mingle with rockbox.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,509 of 10,664

Edit:
wink_face.gif

I personally really want a 1TB DAP, even if it costs me $700. We may want more robust (than stock) power supply to run a 1TB mSATA SSD though. Beyondwind, please do mind abandon your adapter mod idea so quickly. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,510 of 10,664

I personally really want a 1TB DAP, even if it costs me $700. We may want more robust (than stock) power supply to run a 1TB mSATA SSD though. Beyondwind, please do mind abandon your adapter mod idea so quickly. 

What I have noticed is when you browse the folders and/or switch albums the battery drains quicker than my other mods with the CF's. The battery actually performs decently good if you just let the ipod play music. When I turn on the ipod, I see the battery takes a hit and then it comes back after a while. The good news is no more overheat issue and the ipod is very stable and responsive.

The adapter may well be the reason for this power consumption behavior, and I also hope Beyondwind can look into this to see if the adapter can be improved .

With that said, I am waiting to receive this battery and see how it performs. I will go back to mod a battery if this new battery does not live up to my expectations.

Edit: Cmarti may chip in with his observations on his 480GB mSATA mod.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,511 of 10,664

What I have noticed is when you browse the folders and/or switch albums the battery drains quicker than my other mods with the CF's. The battery actually performs decently good if you just let the ipod play music. When I turn on the ipod, I see the battery takes a hit and then it comes back after a while. The good news is no more overheat issue and the ipod is very stable and responsive.

The adapter may well be the reason for this power consumption behavior, and I also hope Beyondwind can look into this to see if the adapter can be improved .

With that said, I am waiting to receive this battery and see how it performs. I will go back to mod a battery if this new battery does not live up to my expectations.

^ That is probably expected - from reading Beyondwind's description, I got the gut feeling that browsing folder would drain battery quickly. The thing is, when you have 1TB of music there, you would likely browse a lot. At least I do, in addition to doing fast forward/skip and deletion. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #2,513 of 10,664

I wanted to use the iPod heavily for a few days before I posted another update.

Right now I am in heaven, the iPod is very responsive and can't get better than this. The battery last over 9 hours and mind I have the slim battery. I have not had any issues reporting low battery and I have used the iPod until the battery runs out. It sounds so beautiful when matched with my FiiO E17, no EQ and no GAIN set. 

I think you will do a lot better once you get a solid battery, I like the site where you ordered the battery. I remember reading good things online about milliamp batteries.

Me too would like to see another mSATA to ZIF adapter, Beyondwind feel free to post how much would you need to get the project up and running. We can help you with funds, once you get the adapter tested then we will be the first ones to buy them from you. That's how Tarkan started and look at how successful and popular he is now 
wink_face.gif

Edit: added picture.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,514 of 10,664

Right now I am in heaven, the iPod is very responsive and can't get better than this. The battery last over 9 hours and mind I have the slim battery. I have not had any issues reporting low battery and I have used the iPod until the battery runs out. It sounds so beautiful when matched with my FiiO E17, no EQ and no GAIN set. 

I think you will do a lot better once you get a solid battery, I like the site where you ordered the battery. I remember reading good things online about milliamp batteries.

Me too would like to see another mSATA to ZIF adapter, Beyondwind feel free to post how much would you need to get the project up and running. We can help you with funds, once you get the adapter tested then we will be the first ones to buy them from you. That's how Tarkan started and look at how successful and popular he is now 
wink_face.gif

So what advantage would there be with the msata to zif adapter that you mentioned cmarti? 

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,516 of 10,664

So what advantage would there be with the msata to zif adapter that you mentioned cmarti? 

Adapter mod is supposed to provide robust power supply to a more power-hungry SSD (e.g., 1TB mSATA), as stock adapter may not be able supply enough transient current to 1TB SSD. 

I am quoting beyondwind from the other thread:

"Whatever how power hungry the drive is, it can be made to work, just add a separate step down DC-DC convert to supply 3.3V for the mSATA HDD, assuming the battery can be moded to supply the needed current. Right now we are already stressing the TEA1012 DC-DC converter & battery at a discharge rate approximating 1C during disk activities."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707618/rockbox-for-ipod-video-5th-5-5th-msata-ssd-mod/30#post_10316753

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,517 of 10,664

wink_face.gif

How often did you browse the folders or switch albums for that 9 hrs of play? Did you try to browse the folders and switch albums when the battery indication was around 25% ~ 30%?

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,518 of 10,664

How often did you browse the folders or switch albums for that 9 hrs of play? Did you try to browse the folders and switch albums when the battery indication was around 25% ~ 30%?

I usually listen to the entire album so maybe I browse folders every 35 minutes.

Not at that percentage but it just happened now at 9%.

You can see how the voltage drops when you go in and out of folders.

Here's a video testing it just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc93z5qfel8&feature=share&list=UUy1qk1RirzC4OlPOAFDOg2g

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,519 of 10,664

I usually listen to the entire album so maybe I browse folders every 35 minutes.

Not at that percentage but it just happened now at 9%.

You can see how the voltage drops when you go in and out of folders.

Here's a video testing it just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc93z5qfel8&feature=share&list=UUy1qk1RirzC4OlPOAFDOg2gI

This is a normal behavior, a dip in voltage at a high discharge rate, caused by the battery internal resistance.

So unless a higher capacity battery MOD is done, this will be the way it is. 

Also check this: http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?p=137

Pickup the blue SANYO battery if you can, I am willing to trade new li-po batteries for used SANYO battery at any time, they are difficult to get, I bough some non working iPOD simply trying to harvest the best battery.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,520 of 10,664
  This is a normal behavior, a dip in voltage at a high discharge rate, caused by the battery internal resistance.

So unless a higher capacity battery MOD is done, this will be the way it is. 

Also check this: http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?p=137

Pickup the blue SANYO battery if you can, I am willing to trade new li-po batteries for used SANYO battery at any time, they are difficult to get, I bough some non working iPOD simply trying to harvest the best battery.

Is this dip in voltage specific to this mod? It doesn't seem happening to the CF mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back