Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2,521 of 10,664

Is this dip in voltage specific to this mod? It doesn't seem happening to the CF mod.

The dip in voltage just aggravate in the mSATA mod because the high peak current draw. CF will have some but the dip will be very small, This can also be checked by using the battery benchmark app in rockbox, the battery voltage will be logged in a txt file and if you plot it, it will be a sawtooth like curve.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #2,522 of 10,664
  This is a normal behavior, a dip in voltage at a high discharge rate, caused by the battery internal resistance.

So unless a higher capacity battery MOD is done, this will be the way it is. 

Also check this: http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?p=137

Pickup the blue SANYO battery if you can, I am willing to trade new li-po batteries for used SANYO battery at any time, they are difficult to get, I bough some non working iPOD simply trying to harvest the best battery.

Good information, I have one of those Sanyo batteries. Didn't know they were better than the other ones, I went with the battery removed from a new 7th gen iPod Classic but the battery is already a year old now but still it goes strong.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,523 of 10,664

I usually listen to the entire album so maybe I browse folders every 35 minutes.

Not at that percentage but it just happened now at 9%.

You can see how the voltage drops when you go in and out of folders.

Here's a video testing it just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc93z5qfel8&feature=share&list=UUy1qk1RirzC4OlPOAFDOg2g

You are lucky at 9%. Mine happens sometimes even at more than 30%. There is a surge I guess depending on how aggressive you browse the folders and switch albums. I feel like the battery suffers from a heart attack. LOL.

Also I found out when that happens, don't turn it right back on. If you do, the battery will be completely drained as it suffers double surges in a short period of time. Let it rest for a while and then turn it back on, and the battery will recover some.

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,525 of 10,664
These Crucial M500 mSATA's are currently sold at very good price at Amazon. The 480GB dropped 30 bucks from what I bought a couple of weeks ago. The M500 240GB is priced at $114 only, which is $76 below what I bought the Crucial M4 256GB last year from Amazon (returned later). At this price and dropping, these mSATA's along with the RB patch provide the best option for hosting your growing music library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

While the mSATA mod is not as power efficient as the CF mod, with a quality battery the performance is decent and good enough.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #2,530 of 10,664
  These Crucial M500 mSATA's are currently sold at very good price at Amazon. The 480GB dropped 30 bucks from what I bought a couple of weeks ago. The M500 240GB is priced at $114 only, which is $76 below what I bought the Crucial M4 256GB last year from Amazon (returned later). At this price and dropping, these mSATA's along with the RB patch provide the best option for hosting your growing music library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

While the mSATA mod is not as power efficient as the CF mod, with a quality battery the performance is decent and good enough.

For once the drives are similar prices in the uk.  Typically we are overpaying on the second hand ipods again.  Just a shame that the msata mod doesn't work on the 7th gen's :frowning2:

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #2,531 of 10,664
  I have two of those 616-0232 batteries, I noticed that they drain in a short time when the iPod is not in use.

Not much improvement from my other batteries. I think battery mod may be the only option for a big boost.

For once the drives are similar prices in the uk.  Typically we are overpaying on the second hand ipods again.  Just a shame that the msata mod doesn't work on the 7th gen's :frowning2:

These ipod video's become rare and rare now. I hardly see them anymore from my local Craiglist sellers. At eBay, you can still get those for $40 or less with only hard drive issues (perfect for the mod). I love the transparent sounding from these capless diymod's paired with my capless amp. Along with the big storage, they really serve me well for the growing music library and music listening experience. It has helped me to expand my music interests in more genres, musicians, composers, etc.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2,532 of 10,664
Encountered an issue with my diymod-

Installed a Tarkan's adapter, connected an SD to CF adapter, and a Komputerbay 128gb SD card.

Ipod video 5th gen.. Rockboxed. Whenever I add music to the diymod, the music skips, and sometimes jumps from one song to another, and back. Similar to switching stations on the radio, then back. From research, it seems indicative that the SD-Card may have a filesystem corruption that is fixed using chkdsk. However, using chkdsk doesn't work and the problem persists. At first I thought it was the iPod itself, but when I played music via the iPod as a source, the skipping/overlapping was evident.  Also, Tarkan himself stated that we have to use Disk Mode before adding music when using Rockbox since the USB Handler doesn't comply well with CF Card mods.Has anyone else ever run into this issue of skipping,overlapping songs?

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,533 of 10,664
  Encountered an issue with my diymod-

Installed a Tarkan's adapter, connected an SD to CF adapter, and a Komputerbay 128gb SD card.

Ipod video 5th gen.. Rockboxed. Whenever I add music to the diymod, the music skips, and sometimes jumps from one song to another, and back. Similar to switching stations on the radio, then back. From research, it seems indicative that the SD-Card may have a filesystem corruption that is fixed using chkdsk. However, using chkdsk doesn't work and the problem persists. At first I thought it was the iPod itself, but when I played music via the iPod as a source, the skipping/overlapping was evident.  Also, Tarkan himself stated that we have to use Disk Mode before adding music when using Rockbox since the USB Handler doesn't comply well with CF Card mods.Has anyone else ever run into this issue of skipping,overlapping songs?

Have you tried formatting the sd card first before adding music?

Mar 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,535 of 10,664
Actually discovered the trick to fixing my skipping/overlapping issue

1 - Follow Tarkan's Steps for preparing your SD Card

http://www.tarkan.info/20140310/tutorials/prepare-sdxc-exfat-for-use-with-the-ipod

2. Install Rockbox

3. Once Rockbox is installed, put the iPod into Disk Mode. Add songs via Disk Mode.

I added 50GB worth of music and no skippage is present. I did however, had to delete the "database" files in the Rockbox folder since upon the initial restart, it was frozen on "Committing Database." 

Got my diyMod back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back